I hate to say this; but I think I screwed up again
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Well, I did it again.
This episode starts from where I left off this morning.
Tonight, I was at the Rattkin tree to drop off the Idol. The door opened, was asked who sent me, obvious answer was correct. Asked me what the message was, I don't have a clue so I marched back over to Crock's to hear message again about my lost party member. Looked at map on the swamps and I go there to fight the monster for Crock, of course when I rounded the corner and saw the swamp, it dawned on me that I had been there already and I think I killed the monster (Frog) all ready and of course I don't have the required item in my inventory.
I don't know what to do. The game is pretty good; but I can't say this to many times: Marten's Bluff is a pain in my ass.
I am afraid to look through my saved games to look for a game when I entered the swamp. Because I did a little housecleaning and deleted early saved games a couple of days ago.
Anybody selling any Frog Legs?

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-04-10 19:41 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I explored the entire swamp including the Frog's area before going to Marten's Bluff. The Frog was not there until I got the quest from Crock.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:44 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think in my version the frog was there before the quest from Crock - but I didn't kill the frog immediately and waited until I got the quest. (I knew what was coming, and I decided to wait.)

But that's beside the point, as I read elsewhere you can just kill Crock and head upstairs to reclaim your missing party member. I chose to kill frog, reclaim my missing character, and THEN kill Crock!

As a footnote, experience for completing the quest with a 7 member party (+1 missing) gives 5,000+ XP from killing the frog +75,000 XP from Crock for completing the quest. You only get about 3,500 XP for killing Crock.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:01 am

SPOILER at end of this post.
The answer to the Shaman's question will not be found in the swamp. The answer is in--gasp--Lower Marten's Bluff. Or read the following
SPOILER
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Eternal trust survives the soul
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:24 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Max, I do not think that it is possible to ruin your game only because you go somewhere or do something too early. You are not playing Gothic. Of course it is possible to make some of your quests unrealizable.

Now I do not know what is your problem.
When you took idol, everything gone dark and one of your party member is missining.

You need to get him back. There is flower on the flower (after they kidnaped your character) and these flowers grow only around Crocks house. So you need to go there. He will give you quest "kill monster frog". If you already kill it and you are not able to prove it to him, there is second way how to get your character back. Kill Crock. It is not nice and he is good merchant, but he is not necessary for story or for something else.

To questions that you need to answerin Trynton:
- first answer is obvious
- second answer you found in Martens diary in MB and anonymous already spoiled you
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:37 am

Actually it sounds to me like he's playing the unpatched version.
There is a bug in the release version of the game where Brekkek won't drop his leg when you kill him and it makes it impossible to complete the mission.
If this is the case and you have not patched your game you have 3 choices.
1) kill crock to get your character back
2) play through the game missing a character
3) revert to an earlier save and hope that it drops

I don't believe the patch will work with save games from earlier version, but you can try that too.

Also, it is a good idea to patch because there is a bug near the end of the game that will completely ruin all your hard work. The bug prevents you from being able to enter the Cosmic Circle and applying the patch may make your old saves unuseable.

So patch your game if you haven't and you will find it much more enjoyable.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:43 am

Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

At the opening screen it shows version 1.24. Is that the corrected version?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:16 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

1.24 should be newest version Max.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:30 pm

For Bilbo
yes you can kill crock and regain your missing party member, I've done it but I realized that I wanted to keep crock alive so I reloaded and found the frog
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:13 pm

Elwyn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

by the way ... Brebek (the giant frog) respawns from time to time ..
so it's possible to get multiple 75k exp - rewards from Crok just by giving him more 'n more delicious frog legs ..
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:42 pm
freddie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok guys I think I screwed up too.. first I have killed the traders in Arkina and Crock. I am so loaded down with stuff I had to drop a bunch off. Visited RAPAX, killed tons of them, somehow missed the wand I need and now I cant get back up to the rooms because there are like 20 guys and I typically die before I get a chance to swing. Then I left and I met some guy, who I dont know how to make him give me a mission, he was in like a cave. So I wandered back and now I am in the swamp. Need to sell stuff and need something to do. NEED A MAP BAD, one I can read. And like 5 frightmare or diremares keep popping up, or I go to the clearnig a faeries pound me... what now?
you can email me direct at:

McClure911@aol.com
thank you

Freddie
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:13 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Freddie,

there is no need to worry.
You can use radar and X-Ray spell and run around all enemies (these strange horses are ofcourse very difficult to avoid because they attack from long distances, but it is possible).
You will be able to sell and buy everything you want in near are - Trynton. If you need map to know how to get from Swamps to Trynton, here is one.
I do not really know in what part of story you are, so my advice is maybe not very good, but here is:
- go to Trynton, sell everything you want
- go back to Swamps and visit Martens Bluff (to know where it is located, use previous map or just find it (better)). If you are not strong enough to visit Martens Bluff, just train your characters a little bit in Trynton or in Arnika-Trynton road.

Good luck

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-04-13 09:16 ]
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:14 pm
freddie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Accidentally found the Umpani.. leaving there, hit the road to Arnika? wow! back to the wotld, now off to Martens Bluff. .. have portal in Umpani..
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:32 pm
John373
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I don't think it would surprise certain members here as to my barbaric method of getting what I need. It's true what someone mention earlier -- just kill the Crock and go upstairs to get back your teammate (of which I did, because I never liked him anyway. Hey, it was either him or some animal I've never even met!). As for the Shaman...I just wasted him when I couldn't answer his question Then there it was. Though I've never completed the game, I've probably yet to see the consequences of this action. (What was interesting, though, that I first did it when Sparkle was with me. She responded with "You're mean!" and ran out of the room. Later I met up with her again in the Umpani Base and she was all sweet again as if the incident never happen). And already I've made an enemy of the T'rang, and T'Ant (who's still alive by the way) won't receive the T'rang/Umpani alliance letter -- not that I blame him.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:21 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Double post

Last edited by Rhea on Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:30 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next