Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Game controls drives me crazy!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Doesn't anyone else think that the game interface completely sucks and that the controls are extremely unresponsive?

I mean, is there any logical reason why you can't use the mouse in the menus? It takes forever to for me to trade, and please, if you say that I will get used to it, I'll respond that I don't want to, since 99% of the other games out there DO use the mouse in their menus, and probably for a very good reason.

And what idiot (yes, idiot or moron is what I think that person is) came up with the brilliant idea that Ctrl+Up should be "get"? And on top of that, it only works while standing absolutely still. If your character is moving, or in the process of stopping moving, the command won't work (this applies to combat too, where's it's much more lethal). Guess the developers didn't bother with animation interpolation or event queuing.

And for combat... if you walk backwards, the camera suddenly swing around so you can't see the monster anymore... really brilliant!

The only thing which keeps me from stopping playing is that this game looks to be the game that Ultima Ascension should have been.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 8:36 pm

MafioZo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:

On 2001-11-23 14:36, Anonymous wrote:
Doesn't anyone else think that the game interface completely sucks and that the controls are extremely unresponsive?

Completely agreed. I have never seen the game with such a dumbest interface and controls, this is the only Gothic's issue, but hell it was making me mad 3/4 of game, though I adapted.

quote:

I mean, is there any logical reason why you can't use the mouse in the menus? It takes forever to for me to trade, and please, if you say that I will get used to it, I'll respond that I don't want to, since 99% of the other games out there DO use the mouse in their menus, and probably for a very good reason.

Yep! 100% agree. How many *cking times I pressed up+enter and it accidently went on "new game". It was making me soooo crazy.

quote:

And what idiot (yes, idiot or moron is what I think that person is) came up with the brilliant idea that Ctrl+Up should be "get"? And on top of that, it only works while standing absolutely still. If your character is moving, or in the process of stopping moving, the command won't work (this applies to combat too, where's it's much more lethal). Guess the developers didn't bother with animation interpolation or event queuing.

Yes again, controls are ridiculous! I have never seen such idiotic controls. It get from me like 3 hours to adapt to that ctrl+up.

quote:

And for combat... if you walk backwards, the camera suddenly swing around so you can't see the monster anymore... really brilliant!

Not to mention combat control system totally suck by itself...

quote:

The only thing which keeps me from stopping playing is that this game looks to be the game that Ultima Ascension should have been.

Gothic take it all my storyline =) Don't worry you'll adapt!

[ This Message was edited by: MafioZo on 2001-11-23 15:06 ]
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 9:04 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There have been lots of discussions about the controls before. IMHO they are great, except the trade-screen. But I admit they polarize.
I play Gothic with alternative controls, left hand on ASDW, right hand on the mouse. Then itīs pretty similar to most FPSs. The only difference is that LMB doesnīt fire but gives you four choices on ASDW.
In most cases LMB + W (read: ActionKey + up) is the correct choice.

The mouse-wheel should work in the menus.

This is an older controls-thread:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=268&forum=13&4

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-11-23 15:32 ]
Post Fri Nov 23, 2001 9:31 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

If you want some advice:

I played Gothic "keyboard only" -- well, almost. Only used the mouse to shift the viewing angle from time to time.
Except for changing the point of view I played it keyboard only and found it very very enjoyable.
Just move the mouse, i.e. your viewing angle to a position approximately 45° above and behind your character.
Then use the cursor keys for movement and Strg+up for actions + combat/opening chests/any other action. That should leave you with keyboard control only. There are very few times when you'll have to use your mouse to adjust your viewing angle. Trying to play Gothic with keyboard/mouse combo is the worst you can do IMHO. Go for your keyborad
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 1:50 am
6 heads
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi folks,

Just got the game about 4 hours ago and am having the same control issues as others. There doesn't seem to be a way to customize the mouse, am I missing something? I'd like to circle an enemy (using the mouse to aim at the enemy and the keyboard to strafe), and attack (using the mouse) at the same time.

Vielen Dank.
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:33 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

To circle an enemy simply focus it, then press left or right. Stand still for a split second before you start an attack the usual way.

If you have problems with a control scheme you should try the alternative controls or keyboard only. The controls are really fast once you got used to them.
The mouse canīt be reconfigured. LMB is ctrl, RMB is Esc.
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:09 am
6 heads
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi there Gorath,

Thanks for responding. If I understand you correctly, in order to attack an opponent while strafing I'll need to:

1. focus on enemy
2. press left or right
3. stand still for a split second
4. press ctrl+up to attack while pressing left or right key

I have a ton of questions regarding this such as how long do I focus, if I hit the ctrl key and focus on another target do I have to go through the whole routine or am I still in strafe mode, etc...but I'll go try it out first before I waste your time.

As far as I can see, the combat is the only thing I'm getting hung up on right now. The rest is going well...kinda reminds me of a darker version of U9. (It was always funny in U9 to find farmers tending their fields in the dead of night. I'm glad to see you guys took that to the next level.)
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:41 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hi 6 heads!
4.is worth a try but will hardly work.
I meant you stop circling, release all buttons and then start an attack.

There is a key to switch through all available targets. Check the manual. Youīll need this when you fire your crossbow on long range at a group of targets.

Combat is pretty realistic. This means itīs a bad idea to try a frontal attack on three Orcs, even for a strong guard. I see it as a sort of slowed-down realtime combat. Planning is everything.

Most German print mags compared Gothic to U9. To quote one of them: "This is the game Ultima9 could have been!"

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-11-24 01:21 ]
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 7:18 am
6 heads
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi there Gorath,

I'm a bit confused, so I appologize for the questions. Are you saying that it's difficult to avoid enemies (i.e. strafing) while attacking? I would agree it's very difficult (for me anyway) using the keyboard. (Using a mouse however, it's second nature for me...perhaps therein lies my difficulties.)

I haven't played enough Gothic yet to be able to give an honest comparison with U9. Personally, I really enjoyed U9, but then I first started playing U2 back in 82 and never lost the passion. (C64 rules!) When U9 came out, the system specs were so damn high that I actually went out and bought a new computer just to play it. (Please don't remind me how sad that actually sounds.) That being said, I am looking forward to seeing more of Gothic...speaking of which, I feel the need to kill something...talk to you later.
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 7:41 am
MafioZo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hehe I myself killed the whole orc village with xbow of war and Uriziel attack 4-5 orcs groups =)
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 12:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-11-24 06:02, MafioZo wrote:
Hehe I myself killed the whole orc village with xbow of war and Uriziel attack 4-5 orcs groups =)

Psst!
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:39 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

When I attack, I run in and slash the enemy and then back off till he carges at me. Right before hes about to hit me, I hit him again which backs him off. I am doing very well with this strategy and haven't died yet. You have to get used to the controls man. Once your used to them it will become very easy to control your character. Trust me when I say that these controls are great and when you get the hang of them, you'll agree. By the way, is it possible to talk to the Orcs or will it always be going in for the kill?
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:31 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You even get some insights into the Orcian culture.
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:40 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

So your saying, you can talk to the Orcs? I haven't made it to them yet seeing as Im only at level 4 and still cant kill the raptors. Man this game is so sweet, I cant believe I was actually debating if I should get it or not.
Post Sat Nov 24, 2001 6:49 pm

I bought Gothic yesterday but haven't had the chance to play it yet

When I played the demo I felt the controls were initially quite awkward. I too went with the alternate configuration (WASD).

However after I got used to it, I really liked the controls. They felt very natural. Holding down something and pushing forward feels almost as if you, the player, is reaching out and doing something.

Kidos to Piranha Bites for daring to try out a new interface.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 4:12 pm