Usergroups
No Story? well so far not much of one.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Energy Bar

No Story? well so far not much of one.

I just got those papers to the guy in the second city....it starts with a B
besides thinking that because im following the main story of the game there should be voice for this guy?
no?
anyways he just sends me on quests like everyone else............what the hell.....is there any good story to this game?
Talk to you later
Jordan
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:27 am

Tarq
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The problem Im finding is that there is just too much stuff to read and there is next to nil scripted events to help the story unfold. The game feels like a treadmill with words. Gothic on the other hand was excellent with the story and atmosphere.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:47 am
Energy bar

yea

i thought 50,000 lines of the dialoge were supposed to be spoken?
Talk to you later
Jordan
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:55 am

jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Tarq
The problem Im finding is that there is just too much stuff to read and there is next to nil scripted events to help the story unfold. The game feels like a treadmill with words. Gothic on the other hand was excellent with the story and atmosphere.

you said it.
I keep hoping it will get better. hm. well, there's always Gothic 2!
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:04 am
Energybar

dont worry

There is always the EDITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay
Talk to you later
Jordan
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:06 am

Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I disagree.

They said all along they didn't want a rail game where you were forced into the story, (like Gothic...3 camps or not, a complete rail game)

But the story in MW is deep, rich, and subtle. You have to take the time to read, you have to ask lots of questions, you have to take notes (I REALLY wish the journal wasn't so damn primitive)

But if you do that stuff, the storyline is incredibly deep, plots within plots, wheels within wheels, and never take your eye off the shell.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:11 am
jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I dunno. I don't mind being forced into a story, at least a little bit...
If I wanted a completely non-linear game wouldn't I just play a MMORPG?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:12 am

The thing is, this game has more story and depth than any of the MMORPG's out there. Content Content , and more Content, to me makes a much better game then Kill, Camp, Kill, Camp, Kill. See where Im going with this?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:13 am

wunshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What Im actually digging is that it feels like a MMORPG without all the tedious leveling in the same spot, and there arent a bunch of dorks screaming obscenities at each other. So far the story has been very subtle, but the quests have been a blast. I guess the atmosphere is just much more believable from a first person perspective than say in a top-down game. So far I love it, and wish my girlfriend would go to sleep so I could jones it for a little while longer. =)

enough ramblings...

wunshot
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:45 am
Cerbera

I don't mind reading a bit, so maybe that's why I'm not having these "lack of story" problems. The story is starting to get pretty interesting for me, (in a way, it does seem a bit similar to Gothic's story), and some of the dreams I've been having while I rest are pretty damn creepy. And every now and then, people will walk up to me and start spouting off prophecies. Between cities and quests, obviously the plot's a bit thin, but there's enough story here to keep me going for a LONG time.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:58 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well and you always can write your own story by playing your role
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:33 am
CdeWarior

This game suffers from a serious lack of personality

I played Daggerfall and enjoyed much of it but I am afraid that Bethesda softworks just can't seem to make a game that doesn't play like listening to a 4 hour lecture. I agree this game is freakin HUGE, with plots within plots and endless hours become anything from a fisherman to a vampire BUT is it any damned fun? I am level 10 (i admit it is addictive) but the storyline has yet to do anything but send me on a bunch of quests of talking to people for a scantily clad blades member. I got cool armor and a cool sword but what reward is that? I go to third person view and see that my character runs and jumps like he rode the short bus all of his life. And although the environments are georgous, where the hell are all of the people and why have the people who actually do exist all been lobotomized? I have only had the game for three days and i think i have heard a dark elf grunt "outlander" to me over a thousand times. Maybe I am too much of a console gamer with my roots being in the NES and SNES days of yore, but i have been a pC gamer for six years and i cant recall a game that took this long to make and took a near equal amount of time to get into. MAybe i am lazy or maybe this game needs some personality, a decent group of animations for the main characters and a hell of a lot more voice overs, either way I feel like this game was not made for people like me to enjoy. (i am just begging to be called an idiot, but anyway) Bethesda, do everyone a favor and release a patch with some damned personality.

Cdewarior
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:54 am

Mephy

Ofcourse not everyone will like MW. as you say, maybe you like console games more. MW is a deep RPG. If you dont like that, dont play it. And please, a patch with voice-overs would be 1 billion mb.

So you have to read a lot? Wow, what a surprise. I am amazed to see people complaining about thinks that they KNEW would be in the game. I've seen people playing mages, while saying they hated being a mage. I have seen people playing barbarians, while stating that MW was too much hack&slash.

Just play it the way you want it to play. And if you still cant enjoy it, bring it back to the store, and wait for another game. Maybe FF10.

No flame intended btw
Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:01 am

dahool
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
I've seen people playing mages, while saying they hated being a mage. I have seen people playing barbarians, while stating that MW was too much hack&slash.

So damn true

You can see that in every MMORPG there is..
Complaining for the sake of complaining.

- dahool
Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:19 am

OMG STFU you mindless monkeys!! go and play rhe role of luigi or Mario on an nintendo console RAUSS!!!

there is speech, there is a story, the game will unfold as you advance.
Now bug off

/peaces
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:17 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next