Comparison
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Comparison

I'm not much of a starwars fan, infact I don't even remember a single character name in the movies. I guess my question is, can you play this game and fully understand it without having any knowledge of the movies or other star wars games? Someone told me its got the same type of feeling to it as Gothic. This alone makes we want to buy it. Also like to note that I don't like flight simluator games. Is there alot of flying around to do or are you mostly walking around like in Gothic? Also, whats the interaction like between the characters? How would it compare to Gothic. I greatly appreciate any info you guys can give me. I really don't want to go out and spend 60 dollars to come home to another 3d shooter type action game.
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:26 am
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

After 12 hours

There are some similarities, but they are fairly passing, all of the NPC dialoge is spoken, the pc's isn't, there are three classes you can chose from at the begining and then there are three more that become availble later in the game.

Honestly the game is closer to the Infinity engin games then Gothic in my opinion, but it does seem to be a full blown rpg in a sci-fi setting, not just a grab the force power and procced to slice and dice anything that gets in your way, (IE: Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Academy.) If you've played baulder's gate, planescape torment, or icewind dale (especialy Icewind Dale II), the combat system should be somewhat familiar.

However if anything would really help you with the game it's a grasp of the D20 third edition rules more that specific bits of trivia. There are the occasional comments that might not make sense, like a comment during the tutorial/prologue about the swords you find on the starting ship being made out of Kortosis, but it never actully explaines that Kortosis is a material resistant to lightsaber blades. As for knowing who's who in the films wouldn't really help here, since unless you are familiar with a specific comic series from Dark Horse (Tales of the Jedi) none of the characters have even been born yet. Keep in mind that the setting is about 4000 years before Episode I. So really all you have to know is what is a lightsaber, and a Jedi, and so forth, the game may explain that to you as you go along, though I kind of doubt it will cover the examples I just gave. I guess you might miss some of the subbleter things but then again so will pepole who've only seen the movies.

I'd strongly recomend it if you like CRPGs, not just Gothic.

Hope this helps
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:19 pm
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Thanks very much for your reply. Glad to here its more rgp releated then hack and slash. I will most likely get the game this coming week.
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:36 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Guys keep the comments coming, because I’m still undecided if I should visit my EB this Friday.
Post Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:23 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

KOTOR is best compared to Baldurs Gate series, only difference it is a futuristic 3d game, not 2d fantasy.
Party members are discussing with each other similarly to BG games. However there's no books in kotor, and inventory is clumsier.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:52 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

PC Games 01/04 has a comparison box KotOR <--> G2:
(summarized; the whole box is 1/4 of an A4 page)

graphics: KotOR is nice but Gothic 2 better.

combat: K has 3 person RT combat with pause. Combat is for newbies, with the exception of boss oponents. G2 should be clear.

quests: "The main story is nothing special; especially the side quests shine with their dynamic: An extreme number of different paths and solutions are open for the player - the decision whether you´re good or evil influences the gameplay."
G2: Similar number of quests but focus on main storyline. Not as many different solutions.

Conclusion:
G2 wins presentation and story, KotOR has better chars and quests. KotOR is recommended for noobs, G2 for advanced players.

G2: 91%
KotOR: 92%
from the same reviewer.
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:16 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Has anyone noticed that the world of Kotor is small and not very interactive, compared to Gothic or almost any respected game?
You can open some footlockers and click on quest devices, but that's about all.
There isn't even any items lying on the ground or desks, this results inability to drop items on the ground!
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:21 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well I just got the game and I must say, its pretty damn good. This opionion is coming from a guy who hates starwars. The interaction between the characters and all there different personalities is superb and I am sad to say, far out weighs that of Gothic(Never thought I would ever say that) The voice overs are the best I've ever heard in any game and all the different options to choose from during conversations is amazing. If this had the same kind of fighting controls as Gothic, it would be my absolute favorite game. Unfortunatly its just click and watch but at least your character performs many moves rather then just swinging from side to side. Take this game and give it a midevil setting and Gothics fighting setup and you would have the greatest rpg ever made.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:09 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

a games magazine (called Power Unlimited) reviewed KotOR and gave it 94%... but they didn't even took time to review G2... i mailed them 3 times... but they didn't answer
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:22 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Neo, you should mail G2 importer and ask to send a review sample to games magazine. Usually they review only sample games, rare are those reviewers who are enthusiastic enough to buy their own games to review.
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:33 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

yes i know... but it's useless now, the game is already released before august (here in the netherlands)...
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:46 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There is still an addon currently in german only, as soon as english version is released perhaps you can persuade importer to send it and G2 to local magazines?
Post Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:53 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic is set at a higher difficulty that kotor.

In fact kotor is easy. Quite simply.

polish, presentation and menus are better in kotor.

Graphics are better in gothic 2. But better still in morrowind. They are all reasonably good. The movies and voice acting are much better in kotor.

Kotor seems to be made for a younger audience than gothic 2.

Like I posted a bit earlier here, I love how you control a party of three in this game. All the previous bioware games have finally taught them how it should be done.

I dont think it would be that hard to add this feature to a future gothic game.

kotor seems to be entirely '2d' you dont even walk up hills like in nwn. i mean by this ur character goes nsew but never up or down.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:13 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

no hills? that's a bit strange, as you can see in the movies, that there are many hills, or mountains.

----------------------------
for everyone who is interestong in a role-playing usergroup;
i'm making one, if you woul dlike to join the usergroup... just say it.
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:19 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There is some hills on Dantooine (the 2nd planet). But no stairways or deep areas.

One thing I respect in KotoR are children and families. In morrowind or gothic, there isn't a single children in the entire game. How do the people of morrowind reproduce if there is no childen or families?
Post Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:07 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next