Usergroups
The Perfect RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
MasterDeath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What would be the perfect RPG? There have been many good RPGs, but as of yet I have not played any RPG that gets everything right. I'd say Fallout comes the closest to what I want from a RPG. I want something that's big, and takes me ages to finish, with a very rich and detailed world, and many many NPCs to interact with. I'm currently playing Gothic, and it's nice, but the bugs are a bit annoying. I think if they could get all the problems sorted, this would be a very good benchmark to compare another RPG to.

So, what's your perfect RPG?
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:42 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

The VERY best roleplay environment I have ever experienced and I feel certain there will never be one to compete is the game called Life.

It is TRUE 3D and everything is perfectly simulated. The sounds are spectacular, the art is the BEST. The AI is fantastic - every creature performs all the time even when you aren't watching! The only downside I have seen (but it works per the designer's intent) is that when your character dies - that is IT - over and out.

Unfortunately, it IS pay as you play and the fees are pretty steep - but you can make tons of money if you play it right. Also, it doesn't require any special hardware to play - you get everything you need right out of the box.

Try it out - you might like it.
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:27 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That makes life the best roleplaying environment... but not the best game. Games are fun and have no real consequences. Life has consquences for every action from wearing mismatched socks to work to eating Mexican before a date.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:02 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

But when played with the right attitude, those consequences can all be "fun". In fact, having consequences is what puts REAL excitement into games!

Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:23 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There is nothing 'fun' about having a chronic and uncureable intestinal disorder that will likely kill you within the next decade or so, and you won't be able to convince me otherwise.

Consequences suck. Consequences of being born suck even more.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:52 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

take the fun from Fallout
take the dialog system from Planescape Torment
take the stratetic fighting from Wizardry and Jagged Alliance 2
take the environment from Gothic
take the story from Betrayal at Krondor

mix it + something strange new

-> that is my perfect game

easy - i should program it by myself
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:01 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

How many Frames Per Second in this game called 'Life'?
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:05 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Hmmm, perfect RPG or any gender for that matter? Sorry to say it but no such thing will ever be made. Everybody is a critic so no matter how good the game will be, always someone will find some small flaw. Besides there is no way in hell that with one product you could please everybody. For me the closest to perfection is Fallout 2.

Seth
Post Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:23 pm
MasterDeath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've given this Life a try, but sofar I'm getting my arse kicked. Does anybody have any walkthru's, or perhaps a cheatcode for money or something?
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:27 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I don't personally, but I've heard of a guy you might get in touch with who apparently does have cheat codes. His name is Bill Gates - you might give him a call.

Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:01 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think this life game is a bit overrated. While it pulls off a massive multi-player environment rather nicely, without any lag, I find it's groupchatting functions limited. To message my clan that I'm going to attack a village, and ask whether anyone would care to join, I have to go through a series of non-proprietary interfaces, called Mobile Phones, etc.. Very confusing and not very intuitive.

It doesn't really cater for PVP, it's very hard to find a server where you can kill other players without consequences. To make things even worse, other players have already got all the hard-to-get loots, and there is no spawning! Farming has been taken to an entirely new dimension, where people actually raise chickens from the egg in large facilities to get the feathers, meat, etc. from them.

All in all, life sucks, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless they had a crap computer.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:12 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

However, since it comes up a bit in these forums (go figure)... it should be pointed out that sex plays a large role in this game, and the creator catered to that. No two times are exactly the same!

Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:27 pm