No!!!
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I answered Yes in a quick poll here, but I think question itself was not put correctly. I will never answer "No!!!" to such a question. Everyone should try, but if for some reason they fail, it's absolutely ok.

*stanthony sighs and puts New Websters Dictionary away after having checked spelling and meaning of each word*

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:52 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@~nobody~: Somewhere here there is a thread about how our various handles where chosen. I think it was last active about 15 months ago ... you could search for it if you'd like. It was pretty good reading. I believe the title was something along the lines of "How did you choose your handle"

In my case it is the name of my favorite PnP RPG character (Dragon Quest). When the game started I was desperate for a good uni-sex name for my red haired (male) elf ... and picked Lintra. In Zelazny's Guns From Avalon she (Lintra) was the hell maiden who hacked off Benedict's arm ... it was the best name I could cook up at the time. I played Lintra for literally hunderds of hours ... over 200 game years ... by the time he was retired to the halls of NPC-dom he'd never saved the world (although he adventured through a goodly chuck of it), but had become a power. A very mortal power, but a power none the less. Arguably the second best fencer in his world, a very powerful air mage, and master of dozens of skills (healer, beast master (dragons), navigator, ships, ranger, troubador, squirrel cooking .... ). He travels with a wallet that has one scale from each of the three adult (or older) dragons he killed - no mean feat in that game!

Anyway I really liked the character, and the name has been my 'handle' since the days when there was no net, just loose collections of bulletin boards.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:21 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

@Lintra: Thanx!

@Stan: No, I meant what I said. I said that, because Pikkon says that he doesn't even care about whether his post is correct.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:49 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I think the word 'must' should be replaced with 'should', then it's a more natural question to answer.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:52 pm
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Toaster
I think the word 'must' should be replaced with 'should', then it's a more natural question to answer.

You know, I was just going to reply along the same lines. Regarding the negative answer - shouldn't it be "NO!!!11"?
Maybe not.

Generally, I agree with dte, proper grammar is a nice goal to strive for. And one can always learn by imitating others or consulting dictionaries or thesauruses.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel
people that care too much about rules are less fun next to no fun.

Rules are important. They provide boundaries which help to contain and guide ideas. Thoughts that are not focused are hard to understand, and without any rules there would be no fun in anything, no imagination. Games wouldn't even exist.
Sure, if rules are too strict or too archaic they might have to be loosened. Usually and ideally, however, they are something that a majority has agreed on, and luckily so. Language like English, for example, consists of a set of commonly accepted rules, which are incidentally the reason for us being able to communicate with each other.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:43 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

About "Should" & "Must". Should is usually used in advices while must is used when you say something that you don't want anyone to discuss. So I MEANT Must.

About the rules: I agree with Arhiel in general, but I think that rules must be as strict as possible. It's just my opinion.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:53 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

@Nobody - Calm down, please. Nobody is trying to offend you. No need of all capitals.

EDIT: About "must" - if someone doesn't want anyone to discuss a topic why would he/she post it in the first place?

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:09 pm
Daniel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@Arhiel: You're absolutely right. My point was (hopefully this time I'll make it more clear): The more rules people abide by, the stricter the rules, the less funny the people are. They become arrogant and start mothering you. There are exceptions, of course.
Oh, there's a point where I don't agree with you:
quote:
without any rules there would be no fun in anything, no imagination

IMO imagination has nothing to do with rules. Rules are for machines, imagination is for people (unfortunately not all of then).
Ridica doar degetul mijlociu!"

I'm BAD!
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:36 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

1-I'm calm. . About offending: Are you sure?
2-About all capitals: I just wanted Toaster to notice that.
3-About must: I meant that it is something you say when you want to make your statement serious.

P.S. At Last I understood your name. You mean Saint Anthony, don't you? Sorry for calling you Stan.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:37 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

St. Anthony it is That's why I'm preaching - a good excuse, huh?

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:41 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
St. Anthony it is That's why I'm preaching - a good excuse, huh?

Lintra looks very puzzled. He scratches his head. Brightening slightly he pulls out a Catholic Calender book and starts a quick search. When he gets to December 31 he tosses the book over his left shoulder in disgust.

"Okay then. What's my excuse? I looked but there is no, I repeat no, St Lintra on the Catholic Calender!"
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:46 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
I looked but there is no, I repeat no, St Lintra on the Catholic Calender!"

Sorry for you ...
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:50 pm
Daniel
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Sorry for calling you Stan

Me too See, stanthony? You said I was the only one calling you stan. Liar!

@Nobody: Why are you sometimes so furious?
Ridica doar degetul mijlociu!"

I'm BAD!
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:57 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
"Okay then. What's my excuse? I looked but there is no, I repeat no, St Lintra on the Catholic Calender!"

*stanthony closes a volume of Flaubert's "Temptation of Saint Anthony" and smiles to Lintra*

Hey, maybe you could try other sources besides Catholic Calender? Or you can apply for canonization. I think Bermudas are crying for their own canonized saint. Lintra should do

EDIT: @Daniel - No, it's a good tradition to call me stan, help yourself Started by... ermmmm... Seth? I'm not serious at all about my nickname, so call me as you please. I just like stanthony better, because stan sounds like it is another real name.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:58 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Mabye I should start a punctuation thread

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next