Will Dungeon Siege.....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

kick Diablo's ass?

Some people claim that this might be a diablo killer. What do you think?

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I hope so.
I really enjoied Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (including LoD datadisc).
So I hope this game will be even better and when I think about "what I saw" and "what I heard", I can say "and it can be better".
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 9:42 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

The Siege Editor that will ship with the game could make Dungeon Siege a huge hit. It could easily outshine Diablo, assuming the game ships reasonably bug free, and has good play balancing.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:15 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Diablo killed itself and Blizzard just let it go.

DS looks incredible though, with larger than life worlds spanning across huge landscapes and going way up and way down at the same time.

The Siege editor is what is really going to make this game stick, with new games in the works, an incredible remake of the Ultima 7 series (which I really hope they do correctly) people will be busy with this game for a long time.
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:24 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, Dungeon siege looks like diablo with an editor. It's succees depends much about game-balance and the games ability to keep the player interested in progressing the monster slaughter feast! Diablo 2 used roughly the mega-item collection and the continues character development to keep the players hooked to play through the game more than one time! What can Dungeon siege offer?
Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:46 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Well, Dungeon siege looks like diablo with an editor. It's succees depends much about game-balance and the games ability to keep the player interested in progressing the monster slaughter feast! Diablo 2 used roughly the mega-item collection and the continues character development to keep the players hooked to play through the game more than one time! What can Dungeon siege offer?

DS looks more like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. Combat plays the same way, with you pausing the action to assign commands to your main character and up to 7 other NPC's that you can have join you. You unpause the action and let the battle rage. Of course, you can play it ALL in real time as well, giving the NPC's scripts so you can just focus on your main character.

It uses a somewhat unique advancement idea where you don't assign proficiencies or skills, but they increase as you use them. So if you wanted to be a mage then you would just want to cast spells as much as possible which would increase your knowledge of that paticular "class" idea. You can mix and match and play however you see fit.

While DS does not use tedious neverending hack'n'slash over the same area 12 hours a day, it does offer a much larger story/game, over 60 hours. But it just offers the ability to play other peoples MOD's, much like NWN will do. Does it have the longevity in the main campaign that Diablo would have? No, for the simple reason that it's not some "uber boss killing 10000 times a day to find the perfect unique so I can sell it on Ebay kind of game". But it will have the variety that keeps people interested because of the siege editor, which are the exact same tools they used to create the game itself.

Well, you wanted to know what it offered, so that's my slashed version of what the game will be.

Post Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:56 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Interesting. I don't mind the pause facility in combats like BG2 or alikes, as long as we don't have to pull along with a tedious AD&D system.
The characters from the screenshots seems just a bit closer like the Diablo 2, and not so far away like BG2.
If it's strong side will be a story, or character developing or both we will have to wait and see. The new pool of radiance game didn't have either and failed therefor despite the nice graphics and the, for some, beloved 3.person viewpoint.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 8:57 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think Dungeon Siege's strongest point, compared to Diablo is that it has an editor, which will hopefully see a LOT of mods. It will probably give it more value for money in the long run, seeing as there seems to be quite a lot of mods on their way already for DS.

I still don't mind if Dungeon Siege doesn't kick Diablo's ass, I'm finished enough with Diablo that I'll probably never play that again, and Dungeon Siege sounds and looks appealing to me.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:32 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I can say that if Dungeon Siege will be similar to Diablo (and you always speak here about Diablo) and comes with good story, several improvement and far better graphic, I will be very happy.
Morrowind, Might and Magic IX, Arx Fatalis, this all looks like very good complicated RPGs with huge world, many NPC and communication etc., I hope that along with this type of RPGs comes also some more actionbased and maybe Dungeon Siege will be one of them .
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:52 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yep a bit of variation is appreciated.

An "Editor" is absolutely a very nice feature, but only if the game itself is worth playing!

I don't mind the diablo fighting style either, but maybe we could have a "richer" story and nicer graphics.
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:11 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
The characters from the screenshots seems just a bit closer like the Diablo 2, and not so far away like BG2.

Ahhh...

You can zoom way in and way out in the game, but most of the screenshots are zoomed in so you can see the detail.

If you ever have any time or interest download one of the several in-game movies, there is an incredible one over at packmule.org. It's the largest one out there at 30 minutes long and 134 meg in size. The others are scattered throughout the various DS fan sites.

Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:50 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've played both games in the Diablo series, and the entire BG series, but I don't like Diablo as much as BG due to the fact that BG is much more non-linear. I hate linear games, and I hope Dungeon Siege will be more like BG - if it is, it will be a great game, but I have my doubts.
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:17 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Dungeon Siege has a linear story progression, but there is a lot of land to explore that's not part of the story.

If you follow the "path" the game presents to go from area to area, then it'll be super linear. Chris Taylor mentioned that if you want to explore everything you'll be rewarded with just more than extra enemies, but NPC's a linear player wouldn't normally find along with extra quests and such.

Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:03 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yeah, but considering Chris Taylor things that a discussion in a CRPG should be no longer than two sentenses, they won't have much to say!
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:11 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

While dialog or character motivation isn't the focus of this game, there are dialog trees...

You seem so hellbent on trashing every point that's brought up about this game, but I'm beginning to think you're under the assumption that this game is something different than what it really is. :/

Forgot to mention that the editor has a skirt option for dialog which will allow MOD makers to create ellaborate dialog trees/options with a ton of scripts per option.

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2002-03-29 13:51 ]
Post Fri Mar 29, 2002 7:48 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next