Members
Usergroups
Tutorial: make a new object and add it to the world
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Zeiss

Tutorial: make a new object and add it to the world

Step by step instructions on creating a new item (well copy an existing one and editing its stats) and adding it to your world. Enjoy!

1. Load up the TES Construction set
2. Click 'file', 'Data file' and a window will open that let's you select the active data files (if this is your 1st time using the TES Construction set only Morrowind.esm will show up).
3. Make sure Morrowind.esm get's a checkmark in the box to the left, then click 'ok' (loading will take a bit)
4. Click on the 'Cell view' window (bottom right)
5. Type 'S', 'E', 'Y' and 'Seyda Neen' will be selected (or scroll down the list till you find it)
6. Dobuel click the 1st entry of 'Seyda Neen' in the list (more loading that takes more time)
7. When done, the render window (above Cell view window) will give you an overhead view of the starting town
8. The right half of the Cell view window contains all things in the cell Seyda Neen, click the column that reads 'Type' to sort the list by type (doh)
9. Scroll down till you find the 'containers'
10. One of them reads 'chargen barrel fatigue', double click it
11. Don't be scared now, the render window will switch to a more normal view and will close in on the barrel you just selected, marking it with a red/green bounding box
12. Double click the barrel in the render view, a window will open showing all the properties for that container
13. Top right of the 'property window' will show you what's currently in that barrel for you to take out
14. Now let's get busy!
15. One of the items in the barrel is 'ring_keley'
16. In the 'Object' window (left half of the screen) click the 'Clothing' tab (yes yes, rings are considered cloting)
17. Scroll down and find 'ring_keley' (or just type 'R', 'I', 'N', 'G', '_', 'K' fast to get there)
18. Double click it and a new window will open showing the properties for 'ring_keley'
19. In the ID-field type a new name (mine will be Zeiss_ring_1)
20. In the name field type a new name (mine will be 'Zeiss' ring of utter coolness')
21. Click the 'save' button and a dialog will pop up telling you the old and new ring ID and asking you whether you want to 'Create a new object?'
22. Click 'YES' (choosing 'NO' will overwrite the original object with the new name as far as I can tell and god knows what can of worms that will open up so don't try it just yet
23. You have just taken an existing object and made a copy of it that you saved under a new name, let's find it.
24. Still in the 'Object' window under the 'clothes' tab, find your newly made ring (mine was 'Zeiss_ring_1' so it's somewhere near the bottom)
25. Double clikc it and guess what, it's property window opens.
26. Now at the bottom of the property window there's a drop down box called 'Enchanting', currently 'Heal_minor' is selected
27. We are going to edit this enchantment
28. Switch to the 'Enchanting' tab in the 'Objects' window
29. Find 'Heal_minor' in the list and double clikc it, voila it's properties window will open (anyone starting to see a pattern?)
30. Change the ID field to a name of your choosing ('Zeiss_cool_skills' for me)
31. Now the fields below the ID let you select which effects the ring will have in the game (currently the top box says 'Restore health')
32. We don't want that so let's change it to 'Fortify skill' (don't pick the skil lto fortify just yet, wait and see)
33. Since we want a ring that will affect our skills continuously as long as we wear it we have to do something about the 'Cast type' field, change it to 'Constant effect' (no panic if a few boxes grey out now, perfectly normal)
34. From the drop down box next to the field where we chose 'Fortify skill', we will now pick 'sneak' (if we choose a skill right step 32 and then did step 33, the skill field will reset to the top of the list)
35. In the 'magnitude' field (currently it has '1' on the left and '5' on the right') we can set how much our sneak skill will be raised, change the left value to 40 (the right value will adjust itself)
36 Now repeat steps 32, 34 and 35 for the 'security' skill and the 'athletics' skill (feel free to add/change whatever skills you like, those 2 are the ones we will work with for now) so that you end up with 3 effectlines filled with different 'Fortify skill' effects
37. Click 'Save', answer 'YES' when asked if you want to create a new object
38. Our new enchantment has been added to the list (if you want you can find it, in our case 'Zeiss_cool_skills, but there is no need)
39. Now if you have followed all steps to the letter, the property window for 'Zeiss_ring_1' should still be open in the background, switch to it, then CLOSE it (it needs to be refreshed to load the proper lists or you won't find your newly made enchantment)
40. Open it up again ('Clothing' tab, find 'Zeiss_ring_1' and double click it)
41. The 'Enchanting' drop down box still says 'Heal_minor', change it to 'Zeis_cool_skills' (or whatever name you used for your enchantment)
42. Click save
43. Almost done, remember that barrel (that hopefully is still in your render window), open up it's property window
44. It still only shows that crappy ring that was in it from the start, time to add the cool ring
45. From the 'Clothing' tab, find 'Zeiss_ring_1' and click-and-drag it to the contentslist of the barrel (you should see it show up)
46. Click 'save' (if you want you can double click the barrel in the render window again to check if your new ring is actually added to its contents)
47. Close the TES Construction set
48. A dialog will pop up asking you 'Save changes to plugin file?', click 'YES'
49. Name your plugin file and the TES Construction set will close
50. Fire up Morrowind, before you click 'play', click 'Data files', in the window that opens, make sure both 'Morrowind.esm' and '<your data file here>.esp' have a checkmark in their box, then click 'OK' and start the game

If all went well your little buddy will find a nice ring in that barrel pretty close to the start of the game.

Hope it helps some of you, I am off toying around with this amazing tool some more

Zeiss
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:04 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

This might come handy.

Thanks.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:06 pm
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Tutorial: make a new object and add it to the world

quote:
Originally posted by Zeiss
10. One of them reads 'chargen barrel fatigue', double click it

I can't find anything that says 'chargen barrel fatigue'. In my list I have:

CharGen_barrel_01
CharGen_barrel_02
CharGenbarrel_01_drinks

... so the tutorial stops at step 10 for me
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:19 pm
Zeiss
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

my bad

there are 2 cells named Seyda Neen (one on grid -2, -9 and one on -2 -10) load the one on grid -2 -9 and check it's obejct list
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:41 pm

Way to go Zeiss - excellent tutorial
Post Mon May 06, 2002 2:29 am

Emerald Viper
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I can not get objects into the game suddenly.
I have tried sticking them in the stumps, barrels near Census office, on ground.
I save the plugin, load it when I start morrowind but objects do not appera.
So I go back into TES and load Plugin, it shows everything OK.

Any Idea, I am really getting frustrated, have made several objects before and they where in game with no hassels.

Thanks
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:32 am
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the great tutorial!

quote:
my bad

there are 2 cells named Seyda Neen (one on grid -2, -9 and one on -2 -10) load the one on grid -2 -9 and check it's obejct list

Being the creator of that great tutorial, I'm hoping that you'll be able to give a little more insight into the following...

Here's what I'm looking to do: I want to make a few new items (a book, a ring, a sword, and a shield) and I want to ad them to the game. I also want to add text selections to a few people in town near to where these items will be located, so on the right in the text list there will be text to click on that says something like "Hoverboys Items", and when you click on them that NPC will give you some info as to where the book is located that will further tell you about these items.

So in all, I'm wanting to make a new item, add my own art, and place it somewhere in the world. With that I would like to place a book that contains some history/lore on these items and add some text to a few NPC so they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Hoverboy
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:37 am
Evotine
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Zeiss, you rule. Thanks very much.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:19 am
Zeiss
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Viper: try saving your game outside of the cell your char is in atm, then try againm, that's the only thing I can come up with

hoverboy: I am trying to figure out the dialogue system atm but it's kinda tough (for me at least), once I do, I'll write something up. As for the new models you want, you will need something to convert 3dsmax stuff to /nif format and that utility isn't available yet I think (the one I posted about earlier doesn't seem to work
Post Fri May 10, 2002 6:33 am
Emerald Viper
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Viper: try saving your game outside of the cell your char is in atm, then try againm, that's the only thing I can come up with

hoverboy: I am trying to figure out the dialogue system atm but it's kinda tough (for me at least), once I do, I'll write something up. As for the new models you want, you will need something to convert 3dsmax stuff to /nif format and that utility isn't available yet I think (the one I posted about earlier doesn't seem to work

Yea, Eventually I figured it out, thats what it was. Wish they would make a MANUAL or A"Decent" Help (the in game help is a joke).
Can't wait for all you brilliant people out there to make tutorials

Thanks Z, I appreciate the info.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:42 pm
Evotine
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

bump

Useful info.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:31 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Emerald Viper - when you start Morrowind, click on data files and mark the plugin you want to load - only then things will appear in the game.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 5:38 am
Wabbit

Thanks for the handy tutorial but I think that ring is unbalnced
Post Wed May 15, 2002 7:18 am

Emerald Viper
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
Emerald Viper - when you start Morrowind, click on data files and mark the plugin you want to load - only then things will appear in the game.

Rendelius...Did you even read all the post?
I was checking them. I am not a moron.
It is just a simple "Forget to mention" on Bethesda's part. They forgot to mention that you can not add things to a cell your character is saved in. The items will NOT show up (Usually). You have to add to areas current save isnot in to get items to show up.

I appreciate your help though.

It is not a bug, Its an undocumented feature.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:23 pm

*knocks over his coffee in the excitement*

WOW! finally..someone with a very functioning guide!!!

Thank you VERY much!!!
Post Fri May 24, 2002 1:04 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next