Usergroups
Winches
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Why so many people having problems with winches. Impatience I think.
All winches work, if they are jammed, they are jammed cause you didnt unlock the quest/dialogue to get it open. There were many times (in my 1st game) where I would think "WTF with these damn winches" if you follow the game and dialogue, every winch works.
If you having problem with a winch I bet I can tell you how to open it yourself and not need to cheat. Just post the winch I'll tell you how/when/where is the right time for you to open it or when it will be ready for you to turn it
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:11 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There are several bugs with winches... There were more of them in pre - patch version.
Today there is surely one buggy winch in bottom of Old mine.
If you come there too early, before you get permission from Ian (you do not need to use it, just come close enough), it will be jammed. And there is no way how to repaire it.
You must use console command for opening this door or cheat and jump forward.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-23 14:19 ]
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:18 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

hehe, yea but the whole point is that its not supposed to be opened UNTIL you get the gear wheel for Ian. No bug there. Just more..
Impatience
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Little hint:
You will not know that you need Ians pemission until guard near whinch will tell it to you (you will see journal updated).

So...
It is BUG not my impatience.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:38 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

no. that is not a bug, that is called following a quest. Gothic is not THAT non-linear. You cant go into that mine until you do things for others first, thats where the questing part of this game comes in.
If you couldnt get in at all, and you are supposed, then thats bug.
Just like winch at Sleeper temple. Why people call that bug? There is something you must do BEFORE you can open that winch (just like with old mine). Bug and game linearity two different things
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:15 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-24 09:00 ]
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:59 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

haha, calm down man
go buy new hats
will make you smiley again

Ok ok, tell me how to get a new avatar, then all winches will have bugs again :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-24 10:20 ]
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:16 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol thats man is getting mad!!
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:23 pm
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You're not doing people any favors trying to pretend that a major bug affecting a large percentage of games isn't a bug after all. It just confuses people who are, through no fault of their own, truly stuck, and it makes you look as if you are, well, not very well informed on the game itself.

The Old Mine winch is bugged. Period. Some people have had it open when it was supposed to open; many more people have not. I'd read JemyM's FAQ in advance, and the first time in the mine I never went within spitting distance of the winch in question. Never even walked in its direction, nor did I speak to the guy standing beside it until I was required to by the quest... until I had the proper item, had given it to Ian, and was told (as my log reiterated) to have the winch opened. I followed the quest directions to the letter, had templars standing by, and was told to open the gate by the fellow in charge. The gate would not open. Several reloads tried, per JemyM's suggestion, and the gate still would not open.

Respectfully, sir, it IS a bug and one that even the creator of the wonderful Gothic FAQ ran into time after time after time.

~Di
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:49 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

haha, Oh, Im 'pretending' now? if you say so
I played game through and through MANY times over, friend, and I think I know it quite well.
So its more like a big percentage of people dont want to follow steps, just want to get into minecrawler shaft (kinda like, um, you). But thanks for your input, was very informative...
and since you keep getting stuck you might wanna talk to these people in this order. Here lemme spell it out for you:
(Chapter2)
Cor Kalom (Gives you secretion quest)
Gor na Drok (Shows you how to take mandible)
Ian (Tells you to get gearwheel)
Guy at Gate (Tells you no one passes)
Ian (Give him GW, he give you PW)
Guy at Gate (Tells you to get help)
3 Templars (Tell u to meet them at gate)
Guy at gate (VOILA)
Winch.
5 games, 5 tries, 5 completions.
Have a good one.

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-24 12:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-24 12:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-01-24 12:06 ]
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:57 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

This _was_ the most important bug in the game until PB dealt with in one of the patches. Obviously they were not 100% successful. Itīs still a random bug.
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:10 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Well I guess I bought me a patched version.
You might wanna do the same Lady Di
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:13 pm
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm playing English version 1.08j. The bug exists in it. Period. I followed the quests exactly as you laid them out (as have many other people on this board who have also had the problem).

It's rather arrogant to believe that because you haven't had a certain problem that dozens, if not hundreds, of others have had that they are obviously fools are you are the brilliant RPG-master of the universe. *grin*

The only other known bug that hit me was the one where the skeleton mage in the Fog Tower crashes an Assertion error while trying to summon more skeletons. Six attempts, six assertion errors. I let the mage live and went on.

As for the patched version, I've haunted the official websites looking for patches, and none are available there. You are blaming the victims here. Consumers buy a retail game expecting a certain level of performance. Some bugs may be expected, of course; however, this particular mine bug stops the progression of the game unless a cheat code is used.

You are fortunate indeed if your game, for whatever reason, does not include that particular bug. But ridiculing others who have followed the game progression carefully and who have been hit by the bug is rather rude, and not helpful for those who come here for assistance.

~Di
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:29 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

*yawn*
Quote the line where I'm ridiculing people.
Im not being helpful?
Do a history on my posts, all I *DO* is help people out of jams.
Umm, if you reread 1st post of thread, Im telling people to post the winch they are having problems on, and I will tell them what needs to be done to get the winch un-jammed. When someone does something to get another out of a situation they cant do on their own: This is called 'help'.
How many times have you finished the game?
How many people's questions have you helped on this board?

You say hundreds of people have this same winch problem. I've been on this board for a month now, havent seen 1 post like that yet.
Gorath says it has been a major problem in the past, I'll take his word for it.

And finally, you seem like you wanna take this to the flames. Which is not a problem for me, just not on this board. So if you dont have a winch problem you need fixed, kindly STFU and get off my thread.
Hey, maybe you can make an anti-Shrap thread and express your rage there, huh? See how many people will join up your cause.
Have a good one?
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:51 pm
Di
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I apologize if you believe that I was flaming you. I simply disagreed with your assertion that if anyone ever has a winch problem it's because they've done something wrong. That truly isn't the case. I realize there are several versions of the game out there (at least according to those who post on this board); in some versions, Ashgan opens the gate himself; in others, including mine, Ashgan tells the hero to open the gate. When the quest has been followed to the letter and the winch is jammed the first time it's touched, this is bad news... and it's a bug for which there is no patch that I've found on the official Gothic sites.

As for how many questions I've answered, only a couple because I only found this board a week or so ago. I've only finished the game once, and am going through it a second time. I did, however, post a rather glowing review about Gothic here or on the tips board about it. I think the game is excellent; I also wish the designers would be a bit faster to make patches available on game-stoppers like this one. But I'm tenacious, and I managed to get past it.

As for ridiculing, I haven't made fun of you in other threads, which is more than you can say since you've apparently decided to make comments about me in such a manner. As for this being "Your" thread, I erroneously believed this was a public discussion forum about Gothic, and the sharing of individual experiences while playing the game. I do apologize for intruding. It won't happen again.

~Di

And BTW, if you've been on the board for a month now and have only seen one person with a winch problem, why did you feel it necessary to begin an entire thread devoted to "all the people having winch problems?" Just curious.

[ This Message was edited by: Di on 2002-01-24 13:10 ]
Post Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next