G2: NotR (English) Question about playing a Mage
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

G2: NotR (English) Question about playing a Mage

I have read about how difficult it is to play a mage. In the original G2 manual it even talks about how playing a mage is for *advanced* players. I finished the original G2 playing a paladin (tough at first but later in the game I was kicking butt pretty well). Now, I hear that NotR is quite a bit harder than G2. I'm about to start (just finally finishing up Deus Ex - great game, BTW) and I'm considering trying out a mage for a change of pace. Anyone find that NotR as a mage is *too* difficult? I know it's a relative thing and it depends on the player. I would consider myself kind of average - No slouch, but not great either. Again, I played thru the original G2 without too much trouble as a paladin (finding it a good and fair challenge). Any tips for a first time mage player in the expansion? Thanks.
Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:57 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Eat every Dark Mushroom that you can find. They're good for you.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:33 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The mage career is hard. YouŽll spend 50 hours in the first 2 chapters - but you can only learn 1 magic circle per chapter.

Pray every day, learn 50 Dex before you join the mages, donŽt waste skill points on secondary abilities.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:13 am
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks for the response(s). Maybe I should have also asked - Is it any fun? Is it rewarding (as a mage)? Or is it incredibly frustrating?
Or would I enjoy NotR more as a paladin again? Is the expansion different enough from the original that I would still enjoy it playing essentially the same character?
Thanks.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:25 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Well, why not try it with a Dragon Hunter instead of the Paladin?
Then, when you play through with a Mage, you can use Marvin to just have lots of fun. I've finished my run-through with a Dragon Hunter first and now I'm just experimenting with the Mage and having fun. It was amusing to waltz into town and cast Rain of Fire on everyone who got snotty. I like my scorched earth approach to problem solving this time around.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:06 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Until you get Circle 3 runes(minimum) the game is very frustrating as a mage. And if you don't know the game inside and out you'll waste your skill points and make it even harder. NOTR requires you to specialize........ESPECAILLY when you play as mage. The first few chapters will tax your nerves, but once you get decent runes from Circle 3 on up you'll start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And once you get the GOOD runes in chapter 5/6 you'll kick ass very easily. The mage is by FAR the strongest of the 3 near the end of the game.

Simply put: Playing as a mage takes planning. Since you have not been through NOTR before, you will not be able to plan very well.

Paladin is easiest because you can get a decent rune early and your melee weapons are fairly good early also. It is harder to waste skill points since Paladin can be a well rounded character and complete the game....but you should still specialize.

Dragon hunter is fairly simple to decide what skills to invest in....STRENGHT and FIGHTING abilities. You can also decide to play as a ranger since many of the ranged weapons are strength based.....unlike G2.

Give each a try because they are all fun in there own way. You will face the same problems, but need to attack the problems a different way.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:03 pm
Muze
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I played G2 as a paladin. Now I'd like to try NOTR as a mage. My G2 paladin specialized in bow. How about a NOTR mage who specializes in crossbow and alchemy? (want to try different things this time around). Feasible or waste of learning points?
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:10 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Muze
I played G2 as a paladin. Now I'd like to try NOTR as a mage. My G2 paladin specialized in bow. How about a NOTR mage who specializes in crossbow and alchemy? (want to try different things this time around). Feasible or waste of learning points?

The good crossbows in NOTR require STR to equip them, and dex for damage....which is alot of extra EXP to be spending as a mage. A better option is to create a dex based mage and use bows instead of crossbows. There are also some very nice dex based swords you can get early in the game.(50 dex, 100 damage is one, and you can get this sword VERY early in the game) And trust me, there are some kickazz bows in NOTR. Combine one of them with master sword and circle 3 or higher runes, and you become a killing machine.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Alchemy won't help you when you are facing down an Orc who wants to kill you. Some potions are essential learning though.

Don't magicians get penalties when trying to learn weapons skills? Or is it just strength that costs more to improve?
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:17 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In NOTR mage don't get any penality for training str, weapons and so on, same cost for all classes.

NOTR put everything to push you for the mage to not put plenty LP in mana. You still need plenty LP for circles and runes but be cheap about runes you learn and you get plenty extra LP for close range skills or long range skills and with the numerous bonusses you can get quite high.

I even got more str bonus as a mage than mercenary, 8 points. And 2 2H free points.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:39 pm