Pirates!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
LDOC
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Pirates!

Hey everyone i've been looking around the forum for a couple a months now waiting for somthing to post and I think I found it. Recent I stumbled on to Pirates of the Burning Sea, a MMORPG set in the 1800's carribean. It looks pretty cool with and a open beta should be starting later this year. Diffenetly just look like another hack'n slash treadmill game.

heres their site http://www.piratesoftheburningsea.com/
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:56 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Thats sweet dude!!!
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:34 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've come across this game a few days ago and have spent like 30 hours reading all the stuff they have available since... I got only three words: O. M. G.

There are a few design decisions I'd like to see changed (yeah, I'm jaded now, thanks to Trials of Ascention), but overall it looks incredible. Most incredible of all, is that they are doing it properly! They have proper software development project management going on (as can be ascertained from an extensive set of dev logs). They will be self-published too. And the most amazing thing... they'll support external user content! They have a realistic staged delivery plan that sounds realistic and sound. I definately have my money on this game.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:19 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
There are a few design decisions I'd like to see changed (yeah, I'm jaded now, thanks to Trials of Ascention), but overall it looks incredible.
Like what? I'll try and get a Q&A with the dev, and your input would be appreciated. What are the design decisions that don't fit well with you?
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:34 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmm... caught me with my proverbial pants down. I can only come up with a couple of things off the top of my head right now. But if you give me few days, I'll be in a much better position to give you some question material. I'm still learning a lot about the game and their decisions.

My number one peeve would have to be global chat. I fully understand their design decision behind it and I respect their desire to level the playing field when it comes to people using external apps to communicate. But it still doesn't mean I like it. Personally, I'd prolly implement some form or a delayed communication. So that you can still communicate, but a bit more in character.

My second issue would be with dying. I don't think they currently have permadeath implemented. Of all games I've ever played/heard of, I think this one lends itself the best to permadeath. I know that they've been entertaining the thought, and there may yet be permadeath in the game. I'm currently reading a 25 page thread (phew!) on the topic, so I'll know more by the time I'm done.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:31 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
Hmm... caught me with my proverbial pants down. I can only come up with a couple of things off the top of my head right now. But if you give me few days, I'll be in a much better position to give you some question material. I'm still learning a lot about the game and their decisions.

Tell you what: send me an email with any question that you think should be brought up to them and I'll make sure to pass it on in the Q&A .

That goes for anyone, by the way. If there are games for which you have questions you would specifically like to see answered in Q&A's, you can send them to my email address and I'll make sure to add them if/when we actually do an interview for the game in question.
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:08 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Shiver me timbers !!!
Post Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:37 pm