Alot of things could go wrong in G3
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Alot of things could go wrong in G3

I'm worried that the requirements are too high, eventho i'm gonna get a new pc soon for about a 1000 bucks, I'm still afraid that the graphics are too much for my PC to handle max draw distance. And max draw distance is very important in G3.
I'm worried that the english version might come out alot later than the german.
I'm worried that they might f*ck up the controls, cause KaiRo already said that the combat is gonna be more mouse based. They shouldn't touch the controls IMO.
I'm worried that the new guild system will lose the guild feeling of G1 and G2.
I'm worried that I might go crazy if they push the release to 2007.
I'm worried that the NPC personality might not be as good as the first two games. In most PC games i usually don't care when an allied NPC dies, but in G1&2 I always tried to keep everyone alive and often babysitted em cause they all seemed to have a personality of their own and it was sad to see someone die.

The gothic series has too much to lose. It was already sad to read that there aren't gonna be any horses or mounts. G1&2 are my fav games and i have high expectations for G3, but there are still alot of things that may go wrong.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What I´m most concerned about is that they listen too much to conservative fans.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:44 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Hehe, well I'm always a very conservative person and think that when something is good and about to be changed, then it could go better, but it will probably go worse.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:49 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
What I´m most concerned about is that they listen too much to conservative fans.

Haha. I think PB does a very good job, by doing their own thing and NOT listen to us. I don't care if the guild system is changed, I'll get used to new controls, etc. As long as they make a good game, I'm happy.
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:36 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Indeed, at the end its their work, not ours. Artists can and should design it in that way as they want. I hope, that Piranhas will just ignore most of the crap we've been posting and do like they please Although I wouldn't mind seeing few good ideas in g3 wishlist thread becoming true.

Last edited by Dez on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:31 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yep. You said it. Let's hope they'll do it their way.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:58 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

When the first gothic was released PB didn't have any fans to listen to. They did the game they wanted to do and perhaps that was the secret of it's greatness.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:53 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I do not completely agree with you, Ratavuk. A compagny, how small they are, has as goal to make profits. When PB created a game, they did it with the goal to sell without going for those extra's cause they couldn't afford them. -> extra's like: more advertisement, better actors (or should I say: more known), music with a big orchestra, ... So from this pov, the Piranhas were limited to create the game as they'd see it fit.
NFG member
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:48 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

But what I do worry about, is what kind of hardware G3 will require. Back when Gothic 2 was released, only the more expensive computers could handle full beauty and distance. Although the computers of these days can easily handle Gothic 2 now, how will that go with G3? Between Gothic and Gothic 2, there we differences, but not extemely big ones. But now in Gothic 3, the changes qua graphics have changed dramaticly. How will that effect the gameplay? Will it be possilb eot play it with a normal computer? I have a new computer, but that doesn't mean I can play G3 at highest resolution. I'm worried that the gameplay and replay values are going to be affected by the graphic change.
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:28 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I hope they do program that you can play with the old controls because I loved to fight like that. and the change in the guildsystem is a great idea I think. I mean we had 1 and 2 with the same guild system and something new and exitening
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:45 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by Neo_Genesis
But what I do worry about, is what kind of hardware G3 will require. Back when Gothic 2 was released, only the more expensive computers could handle full beauty and distance. Although the computers of these days can easily handle Gothic 2 now, how will that go with G3? Between Gothic and Gothic 2, there we differences, but not extemely big ones. But now in Gothic 3, the changes qua graphics have changed dramaticly. How will that effect the gameplay? Will it be possilb eot play it with a normal computer? I have a new computer, but that doesn't mean I can play G3 at highest resolution. I'm worried that the gameplay and replay values are going to be affected by the graphic change.

Perhaps we won't play it at full distance at max settings(FSAA), but I hardly ever use that in a game. Usualy I go for the long view distance in Gothic and good detail. Those special things like AA don't interest me.
Btw, I think that Gothic will still need like the previous ones more RAM then the best Graphical Card.
NFG member
Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I've never seen a significant difference in detail with AA, while the performance seriously got worse. Instead of AA I most of the time just use a higher resolution.

I'll probably get myself some more RAM (I now have 512 MB) and a new graphics card when G3 is released.
My video card can't handle the newest shaders and shadows, I noticed that already when I played Age of Empires 3. I could play it with the highest settings and 1280 x 1024 resolution, but when I turn on shadows and shaders, my framerate dropped to 5 and even reducing resolution to 800 x 600 and textures on low, etc. didn't improve the framerate.
Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:17 am
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Bartacus
I do not completely agree with you, Ratavuk. A compagny, how small they are, has as goal to make profits. When PB created a game, they did it with the goal to sell without going for those extra's cause they couldn't afford them. -> extra's like: more advertisement, better actors (or should I say: more known), music with a big orchestra, ... So from this pov, the Piranhas were limited to create the game as they'd see it fit.

And what has this to do with the influence the fans have in a game ?
I think a better orchestration has nothing to do with the fans. They just did it because they PB wanted to integrate it and not because of the fans.
And of course because Kairo is such a music whore
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:41 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm worried about all that too. I don't give a crap about horses (since you mentioned it, or shields as someone else mentioned) but I really hope the new game has the same look and feel as the previous two. That's important to me. I'd like it to look just the same (with flashier graphics obviouls), feel the same, and play the same. I hope they keep the combat system the same too as I love that. Well, there is a tendancy for the character to stop swinging if you don't hit the keys at the precise moment, maybe they could make that a bit more forgiving. But other than that I love the combat, and that it requires you to be good as well as your character. I'd hate just a lame rapid click type of combat.

I'm worried about the specs too. Oblivions out soon and I don't think my rig will run it very well. It's not that shabby, but I think anything but a top of the line game rig will fall short. G3 will probably be the same. And I'd bet they will roll the release date back to either the end of the year or next year. That just seems to be the way of games these days. You wait and wait and wait, and they roll it back and back. I'm still waiting for Stalker and Cthulhu just to name two. I'm only basing that on my own cynicism though, not any info I've heard.

Rock on.

Edit: Oh, I should say some things they definately SHOULD change are the inventory, character and log screens. I hated those. The inventory is ugly and it's annoying having to scroll up and down to get to the item you want. And I always wondered why they didn't use those lovely book graphics (when you read a book and it opens on the screen) for the log and character screens. Wouldn't that have been better? And a very minor point but one that bugs me is why there's no splash splash sound when you run through water. They should have fixed ALL of this with the addon.

Last edited by Phil5000 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:44 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I'm just worried about the plot.

I loved Gothic 1 for being very vague about the background story, you know, with the gods and the war with the orcs and so on. Gothic 1 is very focused on one point of events and one person (the nameless one). The protagonist is a hero without ever being called a hero - nobody knows about his battle against the Sleeper. Heck, most prisoners don't even suspect the Sleeper being a demon.

Now, Gothic 2 told a far more concrete background, the whole island of Khorinis was exposed, with the city of Khorinis being a little sea town, much less important than I would have suspected. The gods suddenly got more presence, their (a little bit too simple) story of creation and war was told, and so on - the nameless hero now is undeniable the tool of Innos. The whole thing was a too elaborated for my taste (especially regarding the gods), with the worst part being the undead dragon which claims that the protagonist doesn't even HAVE a name (why did he want to tell people several times, then?). This is bullshit and I was a little bit disappointed about the ending of Gothic 2 (meeting every character on the way back to the ship evened that somewhat out).

If Gothic 3 is following the trend Gothic 2 set, then I am worried. Call me a "conservative fan", but I like my epic stories with not too much clichés. I like them open for imagination. Being the "chosen one" is a plotelement every RPG had (with the wonderful exception of Arcanum - I laughed my ass of when I met the real chosen one). I'm beginning to hate it. Hopefully, Xardas was right when he said that the nameless one isn't really an avatar of Innos if he doesn't want to. Hopefully, allying with the orcs isn't just the "evil" side of the game, like the boring Nazi-or-Holy-choices in KoTOR.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:11 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next