Morrowind vs. NWN: Battle of RPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Morrowind vs. NWN: Battle of RPGs

Tell me in your words what MW brings to the table in contrast of NWN. What are its strengths, and weaknesses?

WARNING: This is not meant for flames, and I am fireproofed. Just honest, to the point opinions.

Thanks.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:21 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Hard to decide. I haveŽnt played any of them.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:26 pm
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know that since neither is out; but use the knowledge of both that you have collected during the Great Wait.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:41 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Then I must say Morrowind.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:44 pm
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay; but can you elaborate? I'd like to know your reasonings.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:48 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Because it look most like Gothic.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:50 pm
Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Morrowind!

1. Morrowind because it offers a first person perspective with the ability to also play in a third person behind the character view.
2. Morrowind has a use based skill advancement system
3. Opened ended game world.
4. It doesn't use the stupid (stupid to use in computer games anyway) AD&D rule set.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:26 pm
Mattesnille

NWN: multiplayer DMing, otherwise the same as BG

Morrowind: openended gameplay, more immersion (due to graphics, first-person view, and the lack of a party system), the ability to *really* be a thief, not just an adventurer that can pick locks and detect traps.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:38 pm

Krystoff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

These are two games that I am most likely going to buy but for entirely different reasons.

So first lets start with Morrowind.

STR: This game proves to be enormous both in its content and in game play. Just read any preview to get an idea of what this thing has to offer. Not to mention the graphical content will be amazing.

WEAKNESS: After a while, it will get old. Don't flame me for that last statement because I expect hundreds of hours of gameplay from Morrowind. It is really going to be great but even with the TES construction set I will eventually lose interest.

On to NWN

STR: Multiplayer w/ DM. Ability to world hop if you wish. Great campaign settings.

Weakness: Not as great graphically as a FPS type game. Possiblity of crappy DM's/Players in a Multiplay environment.

Well, thats what I could come up with on short notice. Hope it helps with whatever you are trying to accomplish.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:10 pm
olaf

Both sound good...

From what I know, both of these games are absolute must-haves. BG2 was the my favorite CRPG ever, and NWN is being done by the same team, for the part, and is full AD&D 3E rules (I think), which is a nice improvement over 2E.

Morrowind, I am drawn to because of the gameworld and because its single player only. I love single player CRPGs.

olaf
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:00 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I think i must say Morrowind, it just seems to be a great game with all the movies and screenshoys i have seen. But NWN seems to be good to... but i hope it will be less like BG. Otherwise i don't think i will even buy it, im pretty tired of the Baldur's Gate games and rules.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:43 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Btw, can you say that its a weakness that the game will be old after awhile? Every game does, some of them just stay longer that others.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:45 am
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Like most of you I will probably end up buying both.

But my preference is Morrowind. Because it's a single-player, open-ended kind of game. I really like that.
No pressure that you *must* do anything, you're totally free. The construction set allows for adding new content, perhaps even totally new games.

Bad sides: a feeling that you are lost in the huge world - combat could be dissapointing - bethesda has a rep for buggy games and they still need to prove themselves with this one.

NWN will hopefully bring the pen&paper rpg feeling to the computer.
With DM's and the AD&D 3e rules, it will probably raise the multiplayer experience to new levels.
Or at least add a new and very interesting option to it. (Human DM's inventing and leading a game, no AI is as good as the human Intelligence)

Bad sides: Cheating in multiplayer! Crappy or unfair DM's. The risk of being no more then a hack&slash game that uses AD&D rules.

So personally I'm more attracted to Morrowind because I like singleplayer, open ended games but NWN has the potential to be the wet dream of AD&D multiplaying on the computer.
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:27 am
Volourn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Interesting. Domn't forget that NWN will be open ended in both sp and mp as well depending on the dm/campaign maker.

It's greatest possible weakness is figuring out who you can trust for mp games.

I will buying NWN no matter what. I have a wait, and see attitude with MW. My two biggest concerns for this game is bugginess, and how dificult it will be to create your own worlds.

We shall see..
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:52 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

It's a no brainer for me...

I'm more into Single Player RPG's for now...as I'm a student, I don't/can't have much time to play online games much. I don't think I could do justice with an RPG online. I would much rather take my time (Lord knows Morrowind will take a LOT of time..) and develop my character the way I want to...and not feel threatened by ppl with nothing better to do than play online all day and night and get super characters...

Perhaps someday, I will be one of those people..but until then, single player is the choice for me.!
Post Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next