Usergroups
Gothic, a highly overrated game!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
bATo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I can't get it, why do people think it is such a great game and the best they've ever seen and so forth? Sure it's got stunning graphics at 1024 and over with max settings, fairly good sounds, a not too demanding engine and the story is good.

BUT the game IS also totally filled with buggs, unstable as hell, full of script failiures at NPC's, crashes in certain areas, character fall through ground, ladders are too short and you fall down again, winches stuck and you have to cheat to get through, NPC's and monsters stuck in their deathanimation and loop it so it looks like they're alive when they're dead and so on. The real killer bug is that you have an UNLIMITED amount of money, that's really not good for an RPG.

(*SPOILER ALERT* Buy 1 blade from a smith in Old or Sect camp, go to New Camp and sharpen it at the wheel just right of the cave entrance, if it's busy go there at night. You get a crude sword and keep your blade, repeat. *SPOILER ALERT*)

The list of these negative things is HUGE.

"The COOH" wrote in Troubleshooting section under "Gothic why don't you love me?" (the topic is about a certain area 3 mins from the start of the game that crashes for a poor guy)

"I would use Marvin mode, and "K" to teleport through the place. It's only a quick fix, but I finished the game, and only have to do that a few times."

SHOULD YOU REALLY HAVE TO CHEAT TO PLAY A GAME!?!?!?! What the he-- is this?! Don't people care when game developers release un-finished games?! They really pay lots of money for a game that is half-finished since the developers thoughts probably are: "Heck we'll release it now 3 months earlier and make a fortune at it.. The bugs? Oh, we'll just fix those with patches in some months."

I have played the game for 22 gamehours now and I am probably getting close to finishing it, but right now it feels like I am only playing it to get something out of the money I payed. I will definately NOT re-play the game as I have done with other RPG's Fallout 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate genre, Might and Magic 6,7,8, Wizards and Warriors, Wizardry 8 and Elder Scrolls: Arena.. The reason? I can't stand having 10 crashes/day and see all the bugs the game creators have left for us poor aventurers to try to kill..

I'd give gothic a good 9/10 at graphic/sound.
7/10 at story and gameplot.
4/10 at stability and bugs.

I say NO to undeveloped games! In the past year this has only become worse and worse in all genres to PC games.

// bATo
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:35 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

You sed you finished the game, bud later you sed I olmost finishid.
Bud the world of Gothic is enormous so if somebody can make a game like this whit out bug,: we tolk later.

Gothic II Credits
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Stirring up a hornets nest.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:42 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I had to cheat to complete a few areas in Gothic, and I didn't like it much either. However, I still think the games pros outweigh the cons... the graphics are nice, the story is good, the NPCs are memorable, character development is simple.

If you can get it running, Gothic is a great game.

Yes, I feel publishers are becoming worse and worse at testing before release... but to be fair, there are more hardware configurations and a larger user base now than in the early 90s where people say 'games rarely crashed.' You can't test them all... but I DO feel they can test more.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:45 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:

On 2002-03-13 13:42, Val wrote:
Stirring up a hornets nest.

He had a lot of valid points, though. I think we can handle this maturely.
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:46 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I didn't have a single issue with Gothic - not one problem that wasn't related to my computer (by the way, I think I fixed it now... well, we'll see) and thus didn't happen with other programs as well. No winch problem, no corrupted save games, nothing. The only thing that bugged me a bit was Gorn's behavior in the Free Mine, but I could live with this. The positive things in Gothic outweighed that with ease... at least for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-03-13 13:55 ]
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:54 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I had a stuck winch and just lost the ability to sleep.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:56 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Hmm, I was never stukt beceause a wins does,t open.
Bud I most commit the ladder in the Old Mine is iritating.

Gothic II Credits
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:00 pm
bATo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Personally I haven't had ALL of these problems (No stuck winch yet), Gorn seem to freak out on everyone and just take a look at Gothic forums at other Sites, my point is there are hundreds of people having problem with crashes and bugs and I bet just one out of a thousand or less really post a note about it. I know that alot of people don't buy games today since it's easier and cheaper to copy 40 games for the price of one. But think of those who actually pay for a game that won't work.
And yes I know there are thousands of different hardware combinations for a computer, but I also know that some developers release games that run without any problems at 99% of the computers people have. I'd say Phirana Bytes isn't one of those and they could have spent an extra month or two playtesting Gothic and killed the 20 most common bugs.

Just my two copper coins.

// bATo
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:22 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I made several posts quite some time back along the same lines - yes, we (gamers) must start demanding better quality control (debugging, etc.) in released games. If we don't, then this trend will continue. This trend of far too many "bugs" in a released game is what has led me to the path I now use - I ONLY buy from a store that has a full refund return policy. I know this is hard to find in some areas - but these stores are out there. If gamers start demanding this - it will make a difference. I only need a day or two with a game to know if it is too buggy to play. If it is, I simply take it back. If enough people do this, developers will get the message and will change their ways - if we don't they won't.

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:39 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I have to agree this topic, if you buy a game, then you should be able to play it, no matter what kind of computer you have. I also think that its time to act agains that bs policy that developers seems to have nowdays, "you give your money and have our crap and keep your damn mouth shut" But i wont return my copy of Gothic It worked, and i hadn't cheat to play it trough. (<-see, very happy Gothic owner here)

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:02 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll, stop feeding the troll... Please stop feeding the troll!

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

*Val sets up a "Do not feed the troll" sign*

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:14 pm
bATo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for supporting me Joey and BigPapa.

I know that some developers do change themselves after a couple of hundred thousand support mails about bugs.
But what I don't get is that companies that make games see that others fail and get a grip on what they're doing before it happens to them.
If you're smart enough to write the code for a game such as Gothic, you should be smart enough to test and let others test if it really works too.

To Freakie:
"You sed you finished the game, bud later you sed I olmost finishid.
Bud the world of Gothic is enormous so if somebody can make a game like this whit out bug,: we tolk later."

I mean..uhmm WHAT!? Your note is totally pointless and has nothing to do with what I wrote in the subject note. What the h*ll is the difference between a huge world and a small one? Sure it's more code to write, but be honest, Gothic is far from huge, it's just barely bigger that any new FPS action on the market.
And NPCs? They're all the same, say the same, do the same and stand at the same spot everytime you go into a town. (I for one wouldn't like to be one of the novices sitting on the stone ground at the temple in Sect camp listening to one of the Baals.)

If Gothic had a non-linear story like Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, I wouldn't be so surprised if there were a few bugs in the scripts and events but Gothic is as linear as Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, NOX, Diablo 1,2, Vampire: The Masquerade etc (With every new chapter the world change completely, suddenly every store has new items, new monsters appear from nowhere, NPC's say new things and so on)

Oh well, enough whining.
Gothic is playable but just barely, that is my point.

// bATo

Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:17 pm
DruidPriest
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have almost finished the game and I have to say that I did not encounter ANY normal bugs whatsoever. The only bugs I encountered occured becuase of the stupid things I did while cheating my 2nd time around. Gothic will work on almost any system as long as the latest drivers/directx are installed.

Yes, nowadays many game developers need to spend more time testing (ie. Anarchy Online...was offline for a month due to bugs). But really it's a double edged sword. More time testing ultimately results in a more stable (but more expensive) game. Sure a game may have a few bugs, but the game will be more affordable, and usually the issues are addressed with free patches.

Still, this game is VERY good. It has addictive story, great graphics, and just all-around awesome atmosphere.

Deep inside of her.

--Type O Negative, Christian Woman
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next