Members
Usergroups
Why Gothic is Better than Morrowind
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Jung

Room for much improvement

MW could be much improved to make it more fun. NPCs don't really interact with you or each other. They are basically text spewing manequins. That is really the weakest part of the game, making the world feel dead. Combat is not alot of fun either. Stand and bash. I also wish I could climb and tumble, instead I feel like im on a slow moving conveyer belt sometimes.

Miscellaneous items..
Why no reflective surfaces on any thing but water?
I have a powerhouse system, but my frame rate is 10-30 outside.
Why does is the jumping sound so lame?

I guess the reason Gothic was so must fun, despite its limited scope, is they got the game mechanics right.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:34 pm

Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Should I get Morrowind?

What?!!!? I was just finishing Gothic and eyeing Morrowind as my next RPG. Now, after having read this...hmmmm...

Having people around who can't interact, but just for eye candy seems quite distressing. Is Morrowind worth the purchase or not?

Most people who have a problem with Gothic have a problem with its controls. But most people who give it a shot despite the controls will end up loving it! Gothic is not easy to start off... especially with non-conventional controls. Coupled with the fact that you're so weak when you start, it takes a lot of time before you build your skills and weapons to really take advantage of the un-conventional controls for battle. Of course, some people won't have the patience, instead going for something they can visibly see quickly.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:00 pm

NPC's in both MW and Gothic

That was one big thing that dissappointed me in MW is the little interacting with the NPC's. I loved the fact that in Gothic if you wnet into someone's house that didn't know you or such they would rush in yelling at you to get out go some where else. At least the NPC's in GOthic have schedules, they sleep, eat, go to work. I was expecting that in MW but was sad when it didn't happen. All in all though I love both games. I think, like someoneelse said, the biggest thing MW has over Gothic is that you create your character from the ground up. That would probably be my biggest complaint about Gothic, the fact that you were given a prefab character. I wonder what it would be like though in MW if you were being hunted down by an 8+ pack of wolves like in Gothic.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:22 pm

Barzenak

Gothic vs Morrowind

I own each and have played a lot of rpg games including paper and pen Ad&d. I scratched the surface in MW and it looks great. It is one that is going to move along slowly. I also installed Gothic the same day and it caught me right away. The biggest grab for me is easily the voice acting instead of constant reading. I know it is the lazy man's way but I would rather hear the banter than read it. The controls are awkward in Gothic untill you play an hour or so than it really is a non-issue. The story is solid, graphcis are very good and the fun factor is there. I had a good time in this game with no stalls or spots of complete bordom.

I will get into MOrrowind after I am totally done with Gothic. Each has it merits and don't forget some of the goodness coming soon....NN, Gothic 2, Icewind Dale2..etc. Good year for us gamers !

Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:23 am

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne
What?!!!? I was just finishing Gothic and eyeing Morrowind as my next RPG. Now, after having read this...hmmmm...

You should read the Morrowind General forum before you reject MW completely. This is Gothic General and you get a certain veiw point here. If you check out the Morrowind forum, however, you'll see just as many (more actually) rabid fans willing to overlook the weaknesses of the game. You can get a better feel for the game on that forum. Don't mention Gothic over there though--it's met with just as much hostility as the word Morrowind is over here!

Gene Simmons from the rock band Kiss said in a tape I saw once that he didn't care in the least what music reviewers said. Mr. Simmons pointed out that reviewers weren't fans of Kiss and most of them weren't even fans of rock music in general! This makes them unqualified to review Kiss as an act... only a fan can really tell you what's good about something... a non-fan can only tell you what's bad.

So compare before you decide... here you'll get a good idea of Morrowind's weaknesses. On MW general you'll get a good idea of it's strengths.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:41 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's seems rather sad that they trash Gothic over there. I don't really think that
MW has received the same treatment here. As a number of people have said, both games have their strengths and weaknesses. I think it is important to remember our own proclivities when it comes to rating games.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:27 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Frankly, to me, Gothic was a fun little game that held my attention for about 4 complete tours, and a couple partial ones. Last night I decided to play the JK II demo a couple times through (different difficulties), over Morrowind.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:44 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Morrowind text and text

I have to say my initial impression of Morrowind was not good. Obviously I'll have to reserve final judgement until I've played it longer... like 2 weeks or so.

After playing Gothic, having to go back to reading loses the feeling of interactivity and liveliness of the characters in your world. Just imagine you go out one day... and nobody talks to you anymore. Instead, they hold up sketch-boards of text. Not very realisstic, is it?

And it's not as though the technology for sound and voice is not yet here. In fact, Morrowind was created with high end multimedia PC's in mind. So why narrow down the media selection?

Feels like they over-invested in the graphics department and skimmed on the voice-acting. Kinda' reminds me of the old cheap games on my apple2. Full of text and reading and reading and getting blurry eyed at the end of the day. So what does Morrowind want to do? Do they want you to look at their awesome graphics... or spend time reading and reading?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:32 pm

To me, the biggest difference between the two games is:

In Gothic, the action comes to you

In Morrowind, you need to seek the action

To me, I like to be kept in the action, like in JK II. Maybe that's why I didn't like GTA 3 so much because I had to constantly seek it.

I like Gothic more that Morrowind because it kept the grand scale of the plot simplified and more dymanic. To me, Morrowind tried to be too grand of a game, thus lacking in some areas which Gothic refined.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:43 am

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Imagine Gothic's world, physics system, view distance, frame rates, voice acting, npc's, day-and-night cycles and story combined with the Morrowind world size, attention to detail, character development, non-linearity, amount of quests and armour system!

Morrowic would be the perfect game. So would Gothwind
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:41 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Mattias Kreku
Imagine Gothic's world, physics system, view distance, frame rates, voice acting, npc's, day-and-night cycles and story combined with the Morrowind world size, attention to detail, character development, non-linearity, amount of quests and armour system!

Morrowic would be the perfect game. So would Gothwind

Yes, Gothic II promises a world more than 5 times bigger, more detailed, better character choices and development, a non-linear story etc.

I guess you can say Gothic II will be your Morrowic or Gothwind!

I wonder if Morrowind 2 is going to be announced soon... and if it'll have voice-acting.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:20 pm
iloveplywood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have a feeling that a lot of people that loved gothic would be disappointed in Morrowind because Gothic's biggest strength is probably Morrowind's biggest weakness. I'm playing Morrowind first and am really enjoying it so far, but I'm looking forward to playing Gothic afterwards. Actually, I always hope that the next game I play is better than the last one, but I'm weird that way if these forums are any indication.

P.S. I did play gothic for a couple of hours and the controls actually seem very effective, just different. Okay, except for the merchant stuff, but maybe that gets better as well.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:39 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hi there, somehow I stumbled over the corresponding thread on the Elder Scrolls forums a few minutes ago.

Our forums are more aggressive than they used to be, nowadays. We are even discussing disabling anonymous posting to stop the flaming and trolling.
Regarding this thread Iīm positively surprized. Itīs pretty slow and more or less civilized if you take into account RPGDotīs special situation with fan sites for Gothic & Morrowind and 4 forums for each of the games.

G1 controls:
Your observations are correct. Trading is the weakest part. Remember to have a look at our FAQ when you really start playing. It will save you a lot of time.

The controls will be clearly improved in Gothic2. See the G2 forum for combat. All other controls will be streamlined or replaced by something better.
We have a long interview with Piranha Bytes (translated from a German fan site) coming up today or tomorrow. Many things will be clearer after that.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:15 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Aw man! I've given up on Morrowind.

It's forever loading and loading. And at 1024x768 its so slow. Gothic was fast at that resolution. How come? I have a 1.6GHz P4.

And ALL THAT TEXT! Yeesh! I can pretend everythings fine if there was at least some voice-acting in there. I can feel I need to change my glasses again.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:35 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

To me Gothic was better because I had fun the entire time I played it. Of course, it didn't last very long, but I did replay it three times to try out the different camps. Morrowind starts out slow and .. uh.. it continues ot be slow for all eternity.. but it lasts forever.. if you can put up with the slow pace.

And I don't understand why people complain about the Gothic controls. Once you've learned them they're just there. Nothing more, nothing less. But I thought the controls worked extremely well in combat. They allowed me to do some very neat moves with my sword (as opposed to Morrowind where all I ever do is click on my mouse). And the trading controls weren't very intuitive, I'll admit that, but again compare it to Morrowind. You find stuff worth 100.000 gold and most traders only have like 500-5000 gold. So either you click your way down from 50.000 gold to 3000 (which takes appr. 10 real life minutes) or you just cheat and use a mod to get money. Which works better?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:07 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next