Morrowind: Online possibility?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Samurai
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Morrowind: Online possibility?

Do any of you think there would be a possibility for Morrowind: Online? Does anyone else think this would be hella cool? Just a thought I would like to share with you guys...
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:07 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

At this point, there's no plan for such a project. It would require a complete overhaul of the game engine anyway.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:44 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The problem with Morrowind Online is that it wouldn't be Morrowind. Single player games are a very different animal to multi-player games, with good reason.

(This is my opinion, my view on things.)

Single player games have a lot of detail and a rich storyline that the player can become immersed in. The economy is trivially easy, items may be Uber-powerful. Your character can sleep for three hours but you don't have to wait three hours - it happens instantly.

Multiplayer games have to synchronise with other machines over a network, so the level of detail is necessarily less. There's no storyline (with certain exceptions - A Tale In The Desert maybe) and most of the focus is on killing other players. The economy and creature balance must be very finely tuned, and there shouldn't be too much of an advantage to have a particular item, else that's unfair. The name of the game is to keep the gamer online and not to let them advance too fast (thus continuing to play and pay the monthly fee), so you need frequent waits for portals to open, or items/creatures to respawn, or horses to ride from one place to another etc.

In short, Morrowind Online is basically Evequest or Dark Age.

(As you can tell, I'm a single-player gamer!)
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:33 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Uh, there's a *SLIGHT* differance between MMORPGs and general multi-player.

There are uber-items in almost all multiplayer games (MMORPGs and regular).

There are often some pretty solid quests with good story line in multiplayer too (see games like EQ and UO).

Furthermore, general multiplayer games can be both player vs. player or players vs. monsters, just as most MMORPGs.

In MMORPGs or multiplayer (most exceptions like BG) don't have sleeping in their system.

Furthermore, most games with multiplayer are much like the single player aspect (see Baldur's Gate).
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:02 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Uh, there's a *SLIGHT* differance between MMORPGs and general multi-player.

Indeed there is! I was more thinking of MMORPGs, true.

(Thanks for giving a different view on things - I always feel guilty if people don't see both sides of a topic, or think that any statement is anything but personal opinion!)

Yes, a co-op type multiplayer game gives you both the richness of a single-player world and multiple (human!) players as well.

However, I have to stand by my opinion that what I call the Uber-items can't exist outside of a single player setting. In Morrowind I feel mighty powerful carrying around Sunder. My feelings towards it would certainly differ if Barry the Halfling over in the corner has three he's selling - even given the same item effects. I like the feeling of the game revolving around me (I'm not an egotist, really!) rather than being a bit-part in some greater scheme.

But yes very true, multiplayer NWN (for example) gives a very similar experience to single-player NWN.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:02 pm