Fable the lost chapters?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Fable the lost chapters?

Has anyone played or know any information about this game? Apparantly it has got a huge reputation and in the uk is the most expensive game for pc to be sold in the last few years.

Having read some reveiws I am a little concerned it may focus on things which aren;t really important in what I define as an rpg e.g buying villages presents, going to the pub to buy a drink, getting married etc. To me this has nothing to do with an rpg.

However there are apparantly many good points to the game, yet no-one has mentioned stats, skills and the inventory screen. For me the fun of an rpg is developing your character solving quests and finding interesting artifacts which aren;t just your usual armour weapons e.g rings and amulets which alter statistics and another example in underworld 2 where you find a cudgel of entry which opens doors.

Previouslt I have particuarly enjoyed the might and magic series of games, wizardry 8 wizards and warriors and the ultima underworld games both 1 and 2. However I didn;t enjoy morrowind at all and stopped playing it after a couple of days.

Can anyone advise me about this game, particuarly in areas such as quests, stats skills available, character development i.e experience and levels and the nature of items available to be found in the game.

Thanks for any help
Post Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:35 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I should think Dhruin's excellent review of the game will answer your concers. Get the link from the main page!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:30 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, the review is good. I read it, however I'm still not really sure if I should buy this game.

Probably I'll wait till it the price falls a bit.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:07 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I loved Dhruin's review, and am working on my own for GamerDad now. I think that the places calling it a 90% game are over-rating it, and most gloss over the fact that even with '30% added content' you would be very lucky to squeeze 20 hours from the game ... perhaps the reviewers have been playing too many of this years 6 hour FPS, and 15 - 20 hours seems like epic scale.

I was able to get it here for $40 through Best Buy, and I felt it was money well spent.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:15 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

it's an allright game a bit to simplistic I thought, and your hero is mute, which I really don't like, combat was ok like I said though simplistic, think of it as dumbed down version of combat in gothic 2, it's a real easy game , and I didn't find it that immersing, a few hours of fun and I'll be nice and give it an 7.5
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:26 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Re: Fable the lost chapters?

quote:
Originally posted by sammy22
Having read some reveiws I am a little concerned it may focus on things which aren;t really important in what I define as an rpg e.g buying villages presents, going to the pub to buy a drink, getting married etc. To me this has nothing to do with an rpg.

HAHAHA! Thats absolutely hilarious. You do realise what RPG means right?

Anyway, to answer your question: Its a console RPG, it is neither deep nor complex. Its a simple hack and slash game with some added rpg elements.

I enjoyed it when I played it on the XBox. Its a very polished game and fun to play, but its FAR too short, and it is very very linear. The world is broken up into small areas and not one continual world, and the areas themselves are basicaly restrictive paths through pretty scenery.

Its definately NOT worth full price. I would wait until you can get it on budget.

P.S. Here's Dhruins review.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:43 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yes, I agree, the game is far too short. It's good fun for a day or two of solid playing but no more. It's got some nice little subtleties that make it great. I don't want to spoil them but you'll see if you buy it. Is it worthy of being bought? Well, depends if you think 1-2 days of true gaming goodness is worth the price of the game. As far as an rpg. Well you do have full control of your alignment and you can see the difference. The graphics were nice on the box, so I'm sure they'll be great with 4 AA and high resolution. The music was good and immersive for the fantasy setting.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:08 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Fable the lost chapters?

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Its definately NOT worth full price. I would wait until you can get it on budget.

I guess I'll follow this.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:34 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

My FPS analogy would be that if you bought Call of Duty (or Medal of Honor Allied Assault) at the full price ($50 USD), played the ~8 hour Single Player game and put it away with no multiplayer, satisfied that you had gotten your money's worth, then with Fable you could do a 'good' and 'evil' character, get ~30 hours or so out of it and feel good.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:38 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

I got 27 hours of gameplay with the original Xbox game with one character. It is true that you can fly through the game in 10 hours or less, but then you would not be having much fun exploring, completing side-quests, fishing etc. The game is as long as the average Zelda game(20 hours). That is without the extra 30% new content.

If you have an Xbox, just purchase Lost Chapters for $20.00 later this month.

I'm sure the PC version looks better, but it's a console game and it will likely not play well with keyboard/mouse. Not only that, the PC version is full-price.

Basically, this game is a dark Legend of Zelda!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:13 pm
deathsangel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
I loved Dhruin's review, and am working on my own for GamerDad now. I think that the places calling it a 90% game are over-rating it, and most gloss over the fact that even with '30% added content' you would be very lucky to squeeze 20 hours from the game ... perhaps the reviewers have been playing too many of this years 6 hour FPS, and 15 - 20 hours seems like epic scale.

I was able to get it here for $40 through Best Buy, and I felt it was money well spent.

Mike

Hi do you know what res the game is made to be played at? blew 30 buks on bards tale--tech support told me bards tale is made to be played at 800x600--this is 2005--my lcd runs at 1920x1600 and aint changing it from one game to another
Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:28 pm
Gaidal Cain
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well its very high fantasy and I like the game the graphics are done. It's more of an action game than an RPG, even though it tries to implement some RPG elements to the extreme. It's too much console for my taste though. Meaning too short, too linear, and very little actual content.
Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:34 pm
willy8200
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

how to get stronger

hay do any of you guys know how to get your character to look stonger
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:51 pm
hugh
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've already bought it But can't decide weather to install it or not. It takes about 3 GB disk space I heard. And I also heard that u can't save unless u r not a kid anymore.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The latter is not a problem since the 'kid' episode is more of a tutorial and thus over pretty soon.

@Willy: Get older and more experienced and invest your xp in strength. The more you invest, the bigger your character will be.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next