Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Went back to DAoC again, anyone else play?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

In reality, that is what 90% of the games out there are about. That's the biggest reason I don't like MMORPGs, though I still find them amazingly addictive.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:38 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

DAoC has the leveling threadmill by design and I think nothing can completely solve that. Since DAoC was designed to have Realm-versus-Realm wars between 3 realms the main focus of the in-game character is to gain enough power to be effective in RvR. Also the game very level based system affects a lot. You practically must fight equal level (yellow con or lower) monsters/players to be able to win the battle if you solo.

However, today the RvR battles rarely are solo matches. If you are not a stealther and try to solo you quite often get ganked by full groups of higher enemies. Biggest battles have hundreds of participants and are pure chaos in framerate hell.

The introduction of low level battlegrounds have helped quite a bit. You do not necessarily have to aim immediately to 40+ levels to be able to be effective in RvR.

There are 3 battlegrounds restricted to a certain level range:

20-24
25-29
30-35

However, you can only enter the BG if you have not yet gained Realm Rank 2 (around 6k RP points).

The battlegrounds are a novel idea but sadly I have noticed that they are mostly empty :/ Of course this depends on the server you play but atleast on Albion/Guinevere the 25-29 BG was empty most of the time. The 30-35 BG is the most active BG.

On friday I started to play on Iseult/Midgard where I now have 14th Troll Skald. I have yet to see how active the BGs are there.

Btw, battlegrounds are a stealther heaven. Most of the time it has only anonymous stealthers who hide behind trees looking for stupid enough solo mages and such.
Post Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:04 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2