Amazing scripting - example
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Amazing scripting - example

I have been replaying Notr and doing things differently. So this time around I just jumped on to the Constantino's roof and then to the city wall (still on Chap 1). I could see 3 snappers and I shot at them. One of them kept trying to get at me near the base of the wall and made easy picking. The other two went rushing left (towards the gate). When I got down Constantino's roof and towards the gate I found 2 carcasses of snappers on Rupert's stall !! I can understand the snappers being killed by the city guards by finding it on the stall was real cool!

Have you also come across instances like these? When I read about all that Oblivion is planning I suspect the developers must have played Notr a lot

[On a different note I am a major Gothic fan but I will be the first to admit that the controls suck. I often wonder that if the controls had been better Gothic series would have had no parallel - hopefully Gothic 3 will fix this]
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:53 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Stuff like that can happen very easily if you "activate" a creature.

I've said it before and I'll say it again......The Gothic controls are VERY good. Throw the dam mouse away and use keyboard ONLY. At first you will feel like a total tard, but after a few minutes it not only starts to feel natural, but you'll see how brilliant that control scheme is. Arrow keys and ctrl are about all you need. Of course the hotkeys for weapons selection are quite useful. You will find strafe a tad awkward unless you remap those keys to something like z and x, but I rarely ever use strafe anyway and can clean house. Try a couple chapters using the keyboard ONLY

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:23 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I use the mouse, WASD and space for playing the Gothic series, and with that controls I'm comfortable. It's easy to use, and I always use the mouse, so thath's even better. Gothic controls are probably the best I've seen, even these days (although WoW is still easy+good).

Triggering creatures to do things is indeed funny, but happens only when you lure them in some sort of way. Try getting stronger creatures into areas with less strong humans. It might affect your quests (when clients are killed), so safe before doing it.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:05 am
rputran
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Another funny 'incident'. At the Dexter camp after I spoke to dexter once I triggered the appearance of Greg by talking again. Dexter then ran up the stairs and jumped off to his death . That had me rolling with laughter.

I will repeat that the controls suck. I have played this game many times using the keyboard and I am quite good at it. Nevertheless I think that the controls can be much better. The existing controls work well for some (including for me) but dont work well for most. Which is sad because so many people are not able to enjoy the otherwise excellent game. Its silly to be an obscurantist and defend these controls.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:31 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by rputran
Its silly to be an obscurantist and defend these controls.

No, it's silly for lamer gamers not to take the time to learn these controls. For GOTHIC these controls are quite good. If used for another game they might be horrid, but for Gothic they do the job simply and nicely.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:15 am
Provok
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
quote:
Originally posted by rputran
Its silly to be an obscurantist and defend these controls.

No, it's silly for lamer gamers not to take the time to learn these controls.

Rputran, obscurantist is rather harsh for most people. Though I do agree that you should play with whatever controls you wish to, as long as you can have a great time playing the game. I for one use the controls Neo stated to use, and I find quite good and easy.
Uriziel, "lamer gamer"? Not necessary, IMO. Though it does have a certain "buzz" to it.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:03 am
VPeric
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I agree that the Gothic controls are excellent. I still use the "old" controles, even with G2. The mouse is completely undeeded, and I only use it to look around occasionally. I hope they don't remove this control scheme from G3 either - they should at least keep it as a choice.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:38 pm