Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
TNOTR & One-Hand skills: 2 LP for 1 SP, why?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

TNOTR & One-Hand skills: 2 LP for 1 SP, why?

I am playing G2 + TNOTR translated and I have a simple question: Why to advance skills like One-hand and Bow the cost is now 2 LP per 1 SP? I was under the impression this was only true in G2. Or am I mistaken?

Current stats:

-Chapter I, Guildless, level XIII
- STR,DEX around 50
- one-hand around 40
- bow around 42
- two-hand. crossbow around 15

Thanks,

Saruman
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:55 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

This is normal in the add-on, and has been made so that the person actually has to specialize in some weapon, instead of mastering all of them, like it's in G2. And don't worry, soon it will cost 3 LP's for one SP, then 4, then 5... In plain G2, everyone who wanted could get 100% in ALL combat skills easily, which from the game balancing point isn't exactly a good thing. Different weapon skills are added exactly for personal approach to the combat - you choose the skill and stick with it. In G2, they made the error also by tieing the combat skills to each other, i.e. after each 30% (except after 90%) the other weapon skill raised as well and the cost was double, so in a way they also forced people to raise all skills, which wasn't probably the best idea either.

So, in NoTR, this was changed, and now you can train, focus, on one skill you like most, and have no need to raise other skills whatsoever.
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:56 am
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor

So, in NoTR, this was changed, and now you can train, focus, on one skill you like most, and have no need to raise other skills whatsoever.

Theoretically, this is fine... But regardless of how you play, IMHO you are going to need a mix with *at least* one melee skill (one-hand or two-hand swordmanship) and one stand-off skill (bow, crossbow or magic).

A pure archer or mage will never survive a meeting with even a couple of snappers or razors...

Saruman
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:11 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well imo the balance in Gothic 2 addon is excelent u need actually some thinking where u gonna put some LPs
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:43 pm
Yamcha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Strength, there isn't enough dex based weapons
Post Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:29 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You don't really NEED any ranged skills. Scrolls cost only 5 mana to cast now. With starting mana, that's 2 scrolls you can use. Throughout the game, you will get mana potions, which each add +5 mana, that's literally additional scroll down with the bottle. You can gather Dark Mushrooms in the game and eat 50 of them, which then gives +5 additional permanent mana, and you can do so few times. You can also pray to shrines, more times then it was without the add-on, and depending on the class, will get mana too. You also will find stone tablets, which let you raise the mana. Basically, without spending a single LP on mana and using just the means mentioned above, I got over 200 mana even as a merc. So, I just bought and carried with me a stack or two of different scrolls, some were direct damage-single target spells, some where PBAoE spells like Rain of Fire or Wave of Destruction (well, only couple scrolls with that spell, kinda rareish scroll it is ). And, few shrink spells I found during the game too. All the magic and ranged attack I ever needed

Granted, start for mages is more rough, but this is where using the summoned mobs as cannon fodder, elevated areas and spells help. Besides, you can get to level 18 in CH1 alone easily, which means you can train your melee skills in 1H at least to 30 easily (all you need as a mage, really) and STR to decent and acceptable level as well. There is no doubt that playing a mage is more challeging, however, in the end, when you have access to higher spell circles, the mage becomes a walking powerhouse. Even at 4th circle, if I remember correctly, you can deal plenty of damage with that Storm spell (add-on spell), that's also PBAoE spell, doing 200 damage to anyone around you, and it's fairly fast casting spell as well, so if the mage gets surrounded by snappers or razors, that spell or two will clear quite wide area around the mage quite fast But, yeah, mage isn't a class what I would suggest for fresh, new to Gothic player to start, better to try out some other classes first to get the feeling.

As for pure archer, then it depends on the weapon and skill, but, basically, I also use ranged attacks (despite having good melee skills as well) and with good ranged weapon and enough of arrows/bolts, I can kill even a small pack of any kind of enemies before they reach be, at worst situation I get smacked once or thrice But, yes, there are some mobs on whom the ranged attacks are pointless, i.e. trolls, but at least you can wreck havoc on golems and undead now with the ranged weapons. I have not tried dragons yet, though, but in add-on, they're tricky even for melee person, now.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:15 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yup actually its very tricky to kill dragons now with ur sword allready cos they regain HP and they are powerfuller but i actually killed them all with my crossbow and it is the most easyest way to kill them with a ranged weapon . if u start actually to shoot a dragon with a ranged weapon and step a little bit far away from him he will just stand there and do nothing , while u can shoot him to death
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:50 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Well in gothic3 and add-on comments you can read that the disigners have done that to keep more in the game and do it more hard
Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:49 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

quote:
Originally posted by patriot
Well in gothic3 and add-on comments you can read that the disigners have done that to keep more in the game and do it more hard

it isn't harder this way it's more stupid
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:39 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i wonder if in G3 we will see some Dragons ? or they are the speciality only in Gothic 2
Post Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:57 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
i wonder if in G3 we will see some Dragons ? or they are the speciality only in Gothic 2

i think that G2 gave me the impression that you've dealt with all the dragons
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:26 am
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

No will will not beat any other dragon.Anyway we have killed them all and took their eggs
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:35 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i am sure that some eggs were left somewhere in caves u couldent go in or somewhere
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:06 pm
NeoCodex
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

It's possible, but I think we've seen enough of dragons.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:09 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I think (hope) they will come up with something new, better preferably.
Post Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:39 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next