Usergroups
Might & Magic IX conclusion
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

What's gone in the new MMIX compared to the old ones!

1. Only 4 races, "No problem IMHO"
2. The little overview map on the main screen is gone. This I miss, and I also liked the way the map revealed itself when you explored an area. Now all the area is visible when you visit a new area!
3. Massive hordes of monsters. "No problem"
4. The item backpack storage system and the doll to equip weapons/armor on is gone. I surely miss that, but no big deal!
5. The fly spell is gone. "sight"
6. Acromage is gone. "sight"
7. Stables are gone. !?
8. The Alchemy is gone. !?
9. The obelisk quest is gone. "sight"

What's new!

1. Spell system, making each spells power and ability change according to your abilities in the four realms. Good!
2. Better dialogues with NPC's. Nice, but they have not taking the full advantages of this new choose sentence system!
3. Better graphics and real 3d. Nice!
4. You now can dive under water! Cool!
5. Houses and shops are actually places you can explore now! Nice.
6. In realtime combat a auto-target system is used!

Coclusion:
I think MMIX still got the Might & Magic feeling with it, and MMIX is at least a 80+ hours game, if you don't cheat! The visuals of the spells are quite nice, and the character development system is still very interesting. The story may not seem revolutionary, but adequate and interesting!
The new inventory system seems more clumsy, eventhough you can sort your items! The money collecting problem is more interesting, because unlike the previous MM games, you don't have to much of it, even at the end-game you need to collect money to be able to pay the high prizes on items and the teachers that levels up your characters. A grandmaster "merchant" will certainly be worth the while! I still think my Magic users are much more destructive than my fighters! like the other MM games! This game has a few more bugs than we are used to see from the previous MM games!

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-04-08 08:03 ]
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Michael nice conslusion.

Only one note: stability on my system is perfect (30+ hours gameplay without one crash).
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:11 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I didn't have any crashes either, but there were/are some ingame bugs.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

This will be great joke:
I read sentence Stables are gone like stability is gone.

Ups, I should sit in corner for rest of this great day or I will do something...

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-04-08 08:56 ]
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:55 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hehe LOL

Okay now I understand your former post

Yes, The Stables where you rent a stagecoach to transport you from town to town similar like the boats!
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:03 pm
Ziw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Michael C: I argree with you. I like the improved graphics (sooo much better than before) and the auto-targeting. But I too do miss Acromage and the flying spell.
However, IMO the game could have been longer.
I have also noticed quite a few bugs, the MOST annoying being that a fighter in my party for some reason didn't get the promotion to mercenary even though the promotiom is registered in my notes. So now I'm playing with a nearly useless lv 40 fighter. She gets killed instantly when engaging high-lv enimies, lol.
Luckily the newly released patch corrects many of the other bugs, for instance the frequent crashes when using town portal.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:23 pm
bearcub
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with most of whats been said. I think NWC has a engine and game play that can be tweaked very well for 10.
Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 6:14 pm

WHAT!! They took away my Fly spell!?!?!
Now I will not buy the game, just because of that.
Fly and Jump were all powerful in the previous games. You could clear entire zones of dragons without getting a scratch on you if you used the page up/page down keys to great effect.
I used to always get Jump as soon as possible because it would allow me to get just about anywhere I wasn't suppose to be ;D. I would use it to get super equipment very early on.

Some questions though:

1) Do they still have the ore system? Where you find ore laying around the world map and bring it to smiths for random equipment based on the quality of the ore?? This was another one of my favorite things .

2) Can you still create permanent enchantments on weapons? This was always my money maker! I would go to a shop and buy all the good quality 'normal' weapons/armor/items and then permanently enchant them and sell them right back to the merchant for a big profit.

I think if these are gone then the game would be to boring because you are forced to play it straight and always be poor .
I always prided myself on doing things the wrong way, its what makes the game interesting .
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:07 am

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

First of all, you can jump with your party right from the beginning without any spell, but not very heigh or long. Jumping whilt running will extend your jump!

Sadly the fly spell is gone, so there are some mountains/cliffs you can't pass!

You still can find some ore, and sell for good money at the right shop, but you can't find a merchant/blacksmith who can make things out of the ore as in the earlier MM-games. There is only on kind of ore, but you can find it in different sizes, only meaning you will get different amount of money for them and nothing else!

You can still enchant none magical weapons just like in the old MM's, and I have to say that with very high magical capabilities, you can make very powerfull items! And with a high "merchant" skill you can also sell them with a high profit!

The days with a horde of Dragons and Titans is over, so don't worry about that!

Another thing they have abandonned is the "age" of your characters. It's simply gone, so no aging when using the most powerfull spells, you just use them!

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:32 am

"The days with a horde of Dragons and Titans is over, so don't worry about that! "

ACK, noooo, say it isn't so!! Clearing those zones was the best experience and loot!! Not to mention bragging rights...I once got 2 copies of divine intervention when the game was only supposed to have 1!! I got it from a dragon in Dragonsand.... MM7 I think if I remember right. But then again I had 2 clerics and a sorcerer that had all mastered both light and dark magic and that was a bit much... hee hee.

"Another thing they have abandonned is the "age" of your characters. It's simply gone, so no aging when using the most powerfull spells, you just use them! "

Ok, now this was an improvement. I almost never used Divine intervention because I rarely had anyone that could mix the rejuvination potions.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:44 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

When you are speaking about flying etc. I must say that one spell was very important for me - fleet foot (or something like that).
Dependind on your characters levels/mastery in appropriate realms you will be able to travel 125%, 150%... of your normal speed for nice period of time. It really helps, because distances are sometimes very long.

Another thing about traveling. In every town that you visit, find altart and clear it (sometimes these altars are not really obviouis). Then learn town portal spell. You will be able to teleport to nearest/all towns (depending on level).
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:55 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well the "Divine intervention" spell is still there and it works the same way as before, except that your characters don't get "older" when you use it. The Book to learn "Divine intervention" is not very rare in MM9, and it's no problem to get all the copies you need! The "online" help states that you can only use "Divine intervention" once each 24 hours, but I have never seen that limitation, I use it far more often, most because they have removed the "power cure" spell, but also because it at the same time recovers spell points!

Regarding horde combat in the open areas: You very seldom meet more than 5-6 beast in the open at a time.

The new "fleet foot" spell makes you travel up to 175% faster (depending on your spellpower) both outside and inside areas and even under water! But if any monster gets into your area the spell disappears right away, and can't be recast before every single beast in your area is gone!

The good old "town portal" is still there, and now it's not connected to the city fountains, but city-"shrines" you have to touch first before the spell will work to that city! But more important is the "Lloyd's Beacon" spell from which you can store 5 gameworld-positions (anywhere), and return to them anytime! Again the "online" manual states that these positions only will be stored for one week, but the game certainly don't use that limitation, I have positions stored there for over 1 year of gameworld time. In combination "town portal" and Lloyd's Beacon" for places without "shrines", you can cover most of the gameworld in seconds in the later game phase!
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:13 am

What kind of comparison are you doing. If you compare it to M&M games 1-5, there is alot different. There's even alot different from M&M6 compared to M&M 1-5. I feel M&M glory days are over. The best in the series were Terra and Xeen.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:13 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Okay my comparison was basicly between MMIX and MMVI-VIII.

I,ve played them all except MMI, and eventhough they have changed the movement to realtime from MMVI, and other few things, I still think Might & Magic has some attraction. We always can discuss if the games are shorter now or got less interesting stories, but basicly the gameplay has stayed the same in all nine releases. I think when you say that their glory days are over, that this kind of gameplay don't appeal to you anymore. I sure either don't get overexcited playing MM anymore, but I still have some fun playing it!
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:34 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-04-08 08:01, Michael C wrote:
What's gone in the new MMIX compared to the old ones!

5. The fly spell is gone. "sight"

I can only say, that makes me very unhappy

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next