NWN real RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

NWN real RPG?

Hey, I played bladurs gate 1-2 and loved every minute of it, ive never played NWN, the 3d thing put me off, i thought it would just be a hack and slash like Dungeon Siege, that game put me off 3d rpgs for a long time!

Anyway, ive been told by a few people in passing, that NWN is brilliant, shadows of amn in 3d they said...

But I have a few questions b4 I go out and buy it...

1. Is the game RPG like Baldurs gate? taking the good/dark path in the game? companions? 100s of items and armour? lots of places to explore? lots of skills to learn? lots of content?

And I heard there are online servers or somthing? guilds? That sounds interesting...
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:48 am
Kragor
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There are lots of differences between BG 1-2 and NWN. Here are the most important:
- The graphics of course...
- You are only allowed one companion(or henchman as it's called in NWN) in addition to familiar, animal companion and summoned creature(depending on class). Furthermore, the henchman you choose to hire has a mind of its own, meaning you can only influence it with commands like "follow me" and "attack nearest". It does all the rest like fighting, spellcasting and lock-picking for itself. In the Shadows of Undertide expansion pack you have access to the hechman's inventory as well.
- NWN is a more linear game than its predecessors. You'll have lots to besides the main quest, but I must admit I missed a bit more freedom.
- You get access to more cool options when you level up, like skills and feats.

Now ta answer yer questions:
1. Yes, it's a RPG like BG, just not as big and free.
2. Alignment works approximately as before.
3. companions -> look above
4. Not as much as you'd like to find, but still a lot.
5. Same as above...
6. Yes. You can learn more skills and feats than before, and there are more classes to choose from. Makes for great replayability possibilities!
7. Lots of content here, takes some time to beat.

I don't know anything about NWN online, only that there is multiplayer.

So my advice to you is: buy the game! You'll get many hours of fun! If you didn't like what I just told you, go and buy Morrowind or Gothic2! They rule even more...
Good luck!
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:08 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Reguarding your question about guilds.
quote:
A guild is an association of persons of the same trade, interests, or pursuits. You can think of it as a type of club. What that means is a group of like-minded people have decided to form a club or guild in order to communicate ideas, play games, socialize or whatever they wish. In NWN, a guild can be game-related like a Thieves Guild, or can be based in reality like The Old Timers Guild, or technical like a Guild of NWN Scripters. Just about anything can be basis of a guild. Some guilds have over a 1000 members others have 5; it really depends on what sort of guild you want to create or join.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:54 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Thanks guys!

Hmm, lets go to ebay, not sure what the prices r like from the shops but ebays always cheaper

Btw: I already have morrowind and Gothic 2 lol
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:34 pm
Shimrod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

IMHO NWN is about the closest thing to an RPG that exist on the PC today. But important addition is that I am talking about the multiplayer part of the game now, not the official campaign in singleplayer.

The story in singleplayer is rather poor, but then again I thought the same of the BG and IWD series so you might like it nonetheless. The good thing is that in multiplayer you can play actual dungeons and dragons for a change, with a dungeonmaster. The power of NWN is in the toolset and community and these have made loads and loads of stories to play or worlds to participate in. Lots of these have a really amazing quality and with the increasing possibilities of NWN are only increasing in number and enjoyability.

If you like to do a bit of adventuring by yourself, NWN is probably not the best game you could buy. IŽd advise Morrowind then I guess. But if you enjoy roleplaying with friends or strangers online and interacting with their characters in a fantasysetting, NWN is the game to buy.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:42 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Hey Hagen: BUY THE GAME!!! Pay full price for it (it's going for only $30 retail), forget ebay! It's awesome! It doesn't have huge open-ended worlds to explore, but it is a true D&D rendition! The dungeons rock (especially the undead-infested ones!)! Each chapter you are given new places to explore. I am addicted to this awesome game. And don't listen to what people are saying about the single-player portion. It rocks! w00t! The multiplayer is fabulous too! Have a good time!

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:53 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have never played multiplayer in NWN but I have liked some of the playermade campiegns. I think combat is very much like DS. It is very boring and repetitive with only a couple of fights requiring thought. NWN combat is crap I think.

Just in case you haven't played these games:

If you want a more BG type game for in-depth story I would recommend Planescape Torment. If you like the party building aspect of BG, with good quests and a good story and don't mind turn-based combat Wizardry 8 is a good game. Fall-out 1/2 are also great RPG's that I think most BG fans like.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:22 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Combat in NWN is NOT boring (repetitive a bit). It's D&D based combat, what do you want?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:11 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I used to play NWN multiplayer before I moved to a country w/ out a high speed internet connection at home ... it is a blast.

NWN multiplayer IS an rpg. No longer just a crpg. If you have a group you could play with, buy it. You will not regret it.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:47 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
Combat in NWN is NOT boring (repetitive a bit). It's D&D based combat, what do you want?

Ooh! Oooh! *jumps up and down raising his hand* Turn based with all the actual combat options from 3rd edition that provoke the use of strategy!

Heh. I love NWN, I really do, but combat is my least favorite aspect of the game. It pales in comparison to tabletop and other D&D computer games... though it's better than BG1 and 2s (the combat in which was also not particularly well liked by me).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:17 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
I used to play NWN multiplayer before I moved to a country w/ out a high speed internet connection at home ... it is a blast.

What is a blast? Moving to a country without broadband?

Seriously, in my opinion, NWN single player pales before the BG series. It really shines in multiplayer, though, but you'd have to find a group of regulars players... the servers on gamespy aren't exactly full of people looking for a good time...
Post Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:37 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

It shines in multiplayer *and* in many of the user-made single-player mods. Which I'll start listing right now:

If you are looking for a more BG-like experience than the NWN official campaign, try "Birthright of the North". You won't regret it.

For an extremely entertaining, but linear, adventure, try "Twilight". (Probably the best of the linear SP mods, I think).

If you are looking for an epic series that might just make you cry at the end, look no further than Adam Miller's "Shadowlords" and "Dreamcatcher", one comes after the other.

For the best detective/mystery RPG I've ever played, try "Graveron Seduction".

For the most interesting political RPG I've ever seen, try "Midsummer Knights Dream" (but be sure to try Midwinter Festival before that).

There are plenty of SP mods out there which exceed the quality of any BG or IWD game and come with 1% of the famed Planescape Torment. I kid you not! But after all, it's just my opinion...

And for the best multiplayer I recommend a good PW (Persistent World) server. I don't play it like that (crap inet link) so I can't give any recommendations there. ;(
Post Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:58 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Konny666 - Thanks for the info. This is the kind of feed back I love getting on games, and I've tried some of the ones you mentioned, so I know my tastes and yours are very similar.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:04 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Greetings,

Well if our tastes are so similar then be sure to recommend any that you like that isn't on that list.

Cheers
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:48 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Where can I get that official campign? And is it big?
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next