am i ready to go to chapter 2? i feel too weak
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

am i ready to go to chapter 2? i feel too weak

look at my stats below and please comment. i feel too weak to move to next chapter. i can kill only a few creatures and very weak bandits.
0 LPs accumulated
str 37 dex 38 mana 40 hitpoints 270
protec weapon 30 proj 30 dragon 0 magic 0
skills one hand 33% two hand 10% bow 32% cross bow 21%
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:12 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Have you finished the quest Vatras gave you (missing people)? If so, you CAN go to Ch 2 after you've joined a guild. The question is should you.

The answer depends on how you plan to play it. If you explore a little, kill an few things, but then retreat to the city, farm or monastery periodically to lick your wounds and resupply, then you should be ready to go now. If you'd like to be able to handle most of what you'll encounter without TOO much trouble, then you might want to level up some more before going.

Despite what various characters in the game may say, there is no real deadline for the main quest. You can take your time building yourself up before moving on to the next stage.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:56 am
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
Have you finished the quest Vatras gave you (missing people)? If so, you CAN go to Ch 2 after you've joined a guild. The question is should you.

The answer depends on how you plan to play it. If you explore a little, kill an few things, but then retreat to the city, farm or monastery periodically to lick your wounds and resupply, then you should be ready to go now. If you'd like to be able to handle most of what you'll encounter without TOO much trouble, then you might want to level up some more before going.

Despite what various characters in the game may say, there is no real deadline for the main quest. You can take your time building yourself up before moving on to the next stage.

I have advanced little in vatras quest on missing people. i found thorben`s apprentice. but there are several people not accountef for yet.
i have just increased my crosswbow skill to 21, but it made no big difference. i fear it will be several hours of hit and rund before i get to level 14 to trade more LPs.
0 LPs accumulated
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Playing an allrounder just isn't the easiest way to play Gothic 2. For example, learning bow AND crossbow is senseless to some degree.

Try killing some monsters with tricks, e.g. by klimbing on top of rocks or trees (yes, some trees have lims on which you can klimb) or using fireball spells and others. BTW, sometimes a bow or crossbow is really strong near-range weapon ...
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:46 pm
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
Playing an allrounder just isn't the easiest way to play Gothic 2. For example, learning bow AND crossbow is senseless to some degree.

Try killing some monsters with tricks, e.g. by klimbing on top of rocks or trees (yes, some trees have lims on which you can klimb) or using fireball spells and others. BTW, sometimes a bow or crossbow is really strong near-range weapon ...

Thanks for your ideas. However, that is exactly what i am doing since level 9, spending several scrolls, using range weapons, climbing trees. Most of the minor beasts were treated with this tactics. The challenge now is minecrawlers, shadowbeasts, wargs.
I have 'visited' the monastery, though i am a mercenary, and was capable of 'borrowing' most of the spells. i have also periodially bought every offensive spells at the market, with constantino, ignaz, not mentioning the several spells i have found during my tours.
I have just killed a scout orc that lived in a cave near the eastern gate of khorinis, and got a wolf skin for my friend bosper. nice guy this bosper. there is a teleport outfit in that cave that takes you to the cemetery behind the happy harpy (tavern). are there other teleport outfits?
0 LPs accumulated
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:56 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Yes, there are more teleport pads in the game, but they relate to the missing person quest from Vatras. I recommend staying in Chap 1 until you have solved the quest for Vatras. You need to really explore around.

Have you talked to Martin in the harbor (with the Knights)? He has a quest for you that relates to the one from Vatras. Try to do as many quests as you can before going to Ch 2 (IMO). That will give you a better understanding of what is happening on the whole island. Talk to everybody.

I agree with advice above -- either specialize in Dex weapons (bows and a few swords) or Strength weapons (most hand weapons and crossbows), but don't try to do both. It will just make your life more difficult in the early chapters to try to do both.

Also, the big breaks in skills come at skill 30 and at skill 60. Intermediate skill levels help, but the big break points really make the difference.

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:25 am
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Yes, there are more teleport pads in the game, but they relate to the missing person quest from Vatras. I recommend staying in Chap 1 until you have solved the quest for Vatras. You need to really explore around.

Have you talked to Martin in the harbor (with the Knights)? He has a quest for you that relates to the one from Vatras. Try to do as many quests as you can before going to Ch 2 (IMO). That will give you a better understanding of what is happening on the whole island. Talk to everybody.

I agree with advice above -- either specialize in Dex weapons (bows and a few swords) or Strength weapons (most hand weapons and crossbows), but don't try to do both. It will just make your life more difficult in the early chapters to try to do both.

Also, the big breaks in skills come at skill 30 and at skill 60. Intermediate skill levels help, but the big break points really make the difference.

Yes, i am also working on a quest related to martin, as well as vatras` quest on missing people. by the way, vatras has something to do with both tasks. I spent the 10 LPs of level 12 to increase my bow skills, but it did not make any good difference.
recently i killed my first orc and my first minecrawlers - but not being taught how to extract crawlerplatters i left the carcasses untouched.
fortunately sometimes i `borrow` or purchase some low-power magic spells that help defeating beasts like snappers and skeleton globions - i am still too weak to defeat them directly.
I have visited the paladins ship and increased my strength - now i am at 40.
my daily visits to the innos shrnies help a lot.
i will do more research into the teleport areas.
please dont tell me where they are - let me find them.
thanks.
0 LPs accumulated
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:39 am
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

I thought you couldn't complete the quest until Chapter 2. Only a part of it. Am I wrong?
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:12 pm
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Pladio
quote:

I thought you couldn't complete the quest until Chapter 2. Only a part of it. Am I wrong?

Well, i have just contacted the magicias at the ruins (the place Mr Vatras asked me to go and am doing currently business with them). I collected an old stone (the old man is fond of those old stones, isnt´he?)

To enter the ruins, I needed dispatch some annoying skeleton goblins that were posted outside but in the cave before the area where the magicians stood.

As a matter of fact, they very annoyed to meet me. I did not remember, but I did some naughty things to them in the previous version of the game.

At level 13, STR 30 and DEX 30, it is not easy to deal with those guys - so I use the tactics of hit and run. It takes several shots of my crossbow to kill them.

There is a guy inside the ruins who teaches how to read stone tablets and i am very far from the next learning points, so I am going to try to dispatch some lizards outside. I still nead 5,000+ experience to go up to level 14 and learn to read the tablets - and i have several of them, fortunately.
0 LPs accumulated
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:32 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by johnnybravo1
quote:
quote:

Well, i have just contacted the magicias at the ruins (the place Mr Vatras asked me to go and am doing currently business with them). I collected an old stone (the old man is fond of those old stones, isnt´he?)

To enter the ruins, I needed dispatch some annoying skeleton goblins that were posted outside but in the cave before the area where the magicians stood.

As a matter of fact, they very annoyed to meet me. I did not remember, but I did some naughty things to them in the previous version of the game.

At level 13, STR 30 and DEX 30, it is not easy to deal with those guys - so I use the tactics of hit and run. It takes several shots of my crossbow to kill them.

There is a guy inside the ruins who teaches how to read stone tablets and i am very far from the next learning points, so I am going to try to dispatch some lizards outside. I still nead 5,000+ experience to go up to level 14 and learn to read the tablets - and i have several of them, fortunately.

Which old stones are you referring to?
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:06 pm
johnnybravo1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by johnnybravo1
quote:
quote:

Since I first met Mr Vatras, he commissioned me to find and deliver him old stone tablets. I have already delivered a few, got a few experience points and some potions.

Which old stones are you referring to?

0 LPs accumulated
sneak - ok
pick lock - ok
pick pocket - ok
alchemy - ok
forge - ok
take trophies - ok
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

What hapenned Johnny?
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Pladio,

Without spoilers, you are correct in that Vatras will not let you join the Circle of Water until you enter Ch 2 (speak to Lord Hagen) -- he actually says as much when you first ask to join. What I am referring to is that you can accomplish all the "leg work" of solving the missing persons quest before you enter Ch 2, so that all you have left is talking to Hagen and then talking to Vatras one more time -- then you are in. I generally try to do as much as I possibly can in Ch 1, rather than enter Ch 2 too early.

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Pladio,

Without spoilers, you are correct in that Vatras will not let you join the Circle of Water until you enter Ch 2 (speak to Lord Hagen) -- he actually says as much when you first ask to join. What I am referring to is that you can accomplish all the "leg work" of solving the missing persons quest before you enter Ch 2, so that all you have left is talking to Hagen and then talking to Vatras one more time -- then you are in. I generally try to do as much as I possibly can in Ch 1, rather than enter Ch 2 too early.

Well, if you don't mind PMing me telling what's the last things you can do before accomplishing the quest. So before entering ch2? Please?
Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:41 pm
Aqtai
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I went to chapter 2 at level 8 because I had run out of "killable" monsters (i.e. wolves, scavengers, rats, field raiders etc). I am now running around killing all the beasties that have respawned, not gone near the Valley of Mines yet. Vatras is very mean with his quests, all he has given me is the carry a message quest. I'm playing as a fighter/warrior doing the paladin path and have just got to level 10. I'm trying to make up my mind what to spend my 10 LPs on.

I am (roughly):
Strength 45
Dexterity 30
One-handed weapon 30
Crossbow 15
HP 190
Lockpicking
Skin wolves
Remove bloodfly stingers

I'm playing without NotR.
Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next