A new kind of Online game..?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
aj142
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A new kind of Online game..?

Reading the article about NAMCO publishing Flagship Studio’s first PC game (http://www.flagshipstudios.com/ ) prompts me to ask the question: what kind of game are they going to put out? Flagship’s team created the Diablo series when they were with Blizzard, so I assume it will be similar. Reading the interviews makes me think this will be an online game. Looking at the concept art, which almost looks like it was designed by the same guy who did Alien, I conclude that the game will be set in a sci-fi world. So how will this action/adventure be different? We can only speculate. But that leads me to another question: what kind of online game would we LIKE to see next? If you can think of any online gaming aspects that you have not seen but would like to, post them here.
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:37 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have no idea what it would be like, but I would like to see something completely original. Something that isnt just a simulation of some real work construct. Something that realy uses the benefits of the medium.

Considering the state of the current market and the trend of dumbing down, I doubt we will see any kind of revolutionary ideas like that for the foreseable future...
Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:07 pm
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Speaking only about massively multiplayer games:

GET RID OF EXPERIENCE POINTS AND MONEY!!

Any abstract "counter" which can be accumulated will lead to grinding (repeating the same action over and over).

What's the solution? Put all player abilities into equipment, which can only be gained through actual adventuring. Preferably change combat systems to FPS style fighting that relies on actual player ability. Or make it based on clever combinations of player types and strategic ability. Make abilities based on equipment carried, rather than locking in "class" choices for ever.

For making stuff (if that's implemented), final products should be determined by factors such as materials used or "emergent" combinations, rather than how many you have cranked out in the past.

Even if you don't want to grind yourself, in MMOs you find yourself in competition with people who grind, so it becomes inevitable if you don't wanna get caned. That makes the game like going to work, and it gets very old very fast.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:52 am
aj142
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Scribelus, I feel ya on the whole combat thing ~ I've always been frustrated by most RPG combat scenarios. I much prefer the more realistic fighting game/FPS player-skill-based combat.

I really hope that NAMCO and Flagship will address some of these issues with their big 'secret' project that they're working on right now. I wish they'd just come out and say what type of game this is going to be. It's driving me crazy…
http://namco.com/news/63 - they're not revealing much. However, I did see some concept pictures;

Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:03 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

Re: Improving MMO Games

LOSE THE MONTHLY FEE!!

or at least lower it...you got games out there charging $15+ a month. that crosses the line between maintainence and soulless greed. i'd be fine paying $2-5 a month, or even less, preferably, but when you expect me to shell out $30 for a game, and then another $20 every month and of course $30 bi-monthly to get the newest and greatest expansion pack, i say to you "crap no."

i'd much rather shell out $40-50 in one stop on a game that has lifelike simulations of real people. (gothic to name one of the better attempts at producing this. and actually G2 only cost me about $20.) not only is it less expensive but you don't have to worry about random morons running around screaming

"DUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! YOUR SUCH A F*CKING NOOB!!! I PWNED YOU SO E Z WIT MY 133T SKILLZ!!!! LOL WHAT A FAG!!!!"

thanks but i get enough intense doses of moron in the real world.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:50 am
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

@ LonePaladin: You and I generally haven't agreed on anything, but for this, you get a gold star. *Exactly* how I feel about online gaming.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:42 pm
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I don't mind the losers so much since you can generally ignore them - even literally "/ignore" really obnoxious ones - and there are good people around always too - like forums really. What I hate is the game mechanics that mean grinding takes the place of brains and tactics. And classes are so hard to balance that there are always lots of one "killer" class that is really hard to defeat but nonetheless quite boring (in my limited exp. anyway). Both these could be remedied by putting abilities into equipment rather than character traits, so you can change your "class" whenever you wanted to. No more "nerfing" or exploits!
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:30 pm
aj142
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why are so many gamers online such jerks? ('jerks' being substituted for a much more to-the-point, yet inappropriate word) When so many people act aggressive or irreverant on the web, taking advantage of their online 'anonomity', it makes me wonder how many people are walking around day-to-day with too much anger and not enough outlets for it. I'm talking about online gaming, but now that I think about it people can be really rude on forums too.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:58 pm
Mercenary
Helpful Friend
Helpful Friend

@LonePaladin

I couldn't agree more with you. It should be free to play. Make the game more expensive to buy but loose the monthly fee.

-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:59 am
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by aj142
Why are so many gamers online such jerks? ('jerks' being substituted for a much more to-the-point, yet inappropriate word) When so many people act aggressive or irreverant on the web, taking advantage of their online 'anonomity', it makes me wonder how many people are walking around day-to-day with too much anger and not enough outlets for it. I'm talking about online gaming, but now that I think about it people can be really rude on forums too.

Yeah, this is an interesting point. You have to remember the AVERAGE I.Q. is 100. So for every I.Q.140 RPG dot user, there is an I.Q. 60 unlicensed moron running around. Them people getting arrested on COPS are probably capable of playing online too...

I'm glad I'm so wonderfully well adjusted... (cough)
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:55 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

So what you guys are saying is that you do not like rpg mmo's or other people in mmo's. (the money thing makes sense, no one likes paying money)

I suggest you all buy Farcry.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:11 pm