Most powerfull character?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Most powerfull character?

Whice character is most powerfull? I mean, not only at high level...
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:23 pm
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Powerful characters

I've heard (but haven't tried myselft) that a Monk in nearly unstoppable at high levels.

But, for starters, the Barbarian is the best IMHO fighter, great HP, great feats.

For power after the first few levels, Sorceror. The ability to change spells on the fly, and raw power... Wizard is a close second when your level is a little higher. Wizards get higher power spells first and this seems to make a big difference at say lvl 11+

I'm playing a bard now. He's got Ambidexterity, Two weapon, Imp Two weapon, and a Gladiator Sword (+3 with acid dmg) and Short Sword +3. I get 4 attacks per round, plus the ability to cast sorceror spells, not to mention some thieving, and that GREAT bard song..nothing like boosting everything with a song

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:16 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Monk is awesome in high levels, the damage they do is nice and they're virtually invulnerable to physical attacks and spells. My lvl 20 monk, equipped with a +4 ring of regeneration, left most battles uninjured. I even managed to take down an ancient dragon single-handedly, without healing once. Haven't played him in multiplayer, so I can't say how he compares to other player chars. PvP is not my cup of tea anyways

Oh, he was pretty good to play even in lower levels too. You get cleave and things like that automaticly. Even though he isn't that resistant to damage in the start, battles are quite easy if you remember to raise your WIS high enough as monks get special AC bonus from high WIS in addition to normal DEX-bonuses.

Monk is easy to play and traps won't hurt much because of the reflex feats they gain automaticly. You also end up filthy rich because you won't have to spend money on weapons or armor, except for your gloves and robe.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:48 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I didn't try to play a monk yet, but I tried a wizard for the first time and... although I had some trouble getting through levels 1 and 2, after that I don't think I ever felt threatened! Wizards are powerful...
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:04 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Monks are really powerfull. But so are warriors in level 20 and the best equipment.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:40 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Well, what i was asking is whice character is easiest to play, through the SP game, my level 12 fighter was to weak when it came to slay a dragon.

I don't get it, i made a ranger. He sucked, what did I do wrong? He could not even make damage with the bow (at level 5), me made 1-4 damage with it, same with the sword, he missed most of the times, but when he hit he made like 4-10 damage.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:15 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Only a wizard could really slay a dragon at level 12. I didn't face one until level 16... so I don't know what you did.

At that point my wizard yawned once, waved a hand and destroyed the dragon. All the dragons, actually. I was getting desperate to complete the game to get my review in so I said 'screw it... I'm a wizard..." and just killed them all instead of running quests or errands for them.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:02 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
At that point my wizard yawned once, waved a hand and destroyed the dragon.

ROFL!!!

I'm sorry but you just cracked me up Xen

Like I said, Wizards are powerful
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:30 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Only a wizard could really slay a dragon at level 12. I didn't face one until level 16... so I don't know what you did.

At that point my wizard yawned once, waved a hand and destroyed the dragon. All the dragons, actually. I was getting desperate to complete the game to get my review in so I said 'screw it... I'm a wizard..." and just killed them all instead of running quests or errands for them.

Umm, it was the dragon in SP.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:25 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

My sorceror, with one level of Barbarian, for all the extra feats, etc. has been able to handle most anything. I've found bows a waste of time and weight so far, but I'm open to hearing from anyone who has had success with them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:11 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Personally I believe it is about understanding your characters strenghts and weaknesses. With fighter types it is about making use of the various feats and magical items on offer whilst with a mage/sorcerer it is about spell selection. I wouldn't say that any one class is better as each does have weaknesses. Mages cant fall if they fail to eliminate enemies before they can get into melee range. Fighters tend to fall to magic using creatures. Rogues tend to fall as many people try to play them as fighters who can sneak. And yes even monks are vunerable as on average at high levels their protection is not as good as a fighter but they don't have the ranged devistaion of the Mages. But by know these weknesses you can plan around them. It tends not to be the class that is weak but rather the players understanding of that class.

As many people have mentioned then new multiclassing rules in 3E D&D make this a much more viable option. Personally I know my play style in games (both computer and PnP) and hence know which characters I'm best at playing. In fantasy games I play warrior types either straight fighters or Rangers or Fighter/thief somethimes even a Paladin. I always prefer dextrous characters to really strong chars. In Star Wars I play Jedi and in Shadowrun I always play a Street Samuri. With that understanding I now know how to play that type of char and that is what makes that class powerful for me.

Sorry this went on longer than I intended but you get the general jist of the post
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:58 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Well, if a mage has problems with getting into melee combat, she can always cast Tenser's Transformation, Polymorph, or Shapechange and give out some hefty close range damage, while having upwards of 3X the HP.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:51 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
quote:

Umm, it was the dragon in SP.

I know. But I was level 16 at the end of chapter 2... long before any sort of dragon popped up.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:25 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Well, if a mage has problems with getting into melee combat, she can always cast Tenser's Transformation, Polymorph, or Shapechange and give out some hefty close range damage, while having upwards of 3X the HP.

That assumes you manage to get the spell cast without drawing an attack of opportunity. Mages are still vunerable to supprise attacks.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:11 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Not if you've got all your shields on!
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:32 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next