Poll Results & New Poll
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Poll Results & New Poll

Last poll asked about your interest in E3 and it's fair to say most the majority of readers have some interest. 54% follow a couple games while just under 21% love E3. 20% don't have much interest while only 4.9% don't see anything worthwhile at all. <br> <br>So, did anything catch your attention? This week we're asking which game really impressed you, based on E3 previews, interviews, trailers or whatever. I know lots of votes will go to your favourite game but I'm hoping to get a feel for those games that surprised you, changed your mind or impressed you beyond your previous expectations. <br> <br>Personally, Bioshock looked the most interesting overall title with a fascinating game world, interesting art direction and the possibility of genuinely advanced AI (yes, time will tell if Irrational actually pull it off). <br> <br>The Gothic 3 trailer surprised me by really <i>looking</i> like a Gothic game, despite the new technology. Although I doubt it will directly compete with the "best" graphics on the market, I really liked the authenticity and atmosphere - along with the lack of excessive bloom/HDR and plastic/wet surfaces. And the glimpses of the gameworld continue to look more "alive" than the competition. <br> <br>The Witcher continues to impress with gorgeous art-direction - simply beautiful. Time will tell if the gameplay is up to the same standard but I remain impressed with what the developers are saying about choices. <br> <br>It was nice to see some NWN2 footage, although the DM debacle was ill-timed. The very little we saw of Drakensang was very disappointing - I hope there are more previews in the pipeline so I'm not left with only that awful snippet of sterile combat. Finally, an honourable mention for the high-def Dark Messiah footage - perhaps Severance will finally get bested. <br> <br>Hit the poll on the left and don't hesitate to tell us what you thought of E3.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:37 am

I must say that Dark Messiah impressed me the most. I downloaded the demo video and it looked absolutely incredible. The combat was the best I've ever seen, magic looked awesome, stealth was wicked, but the thing that probably impressed me the most was the cyclops. When the cyclops moved one of the two big boulders the player character was hiding under, my eyes was all like this o.O!
Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:42 am

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Re: Poll Results & New Poll

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
The very little we saw of Drakensang was very disappointing - I hope there are more previews in the pipeline so I'm not left with only that awful snippet of sterile combat.

OK, Gorath already said it in that other thread but maybe it needs to be re-emphasized . The German Gamestar editor who did the commentary in that Gamestar video with the Drakensang footage spent the entire first minute of the video just listing stuff that is NOT yet finished or finalized or even implemented.
Trying to be funny, he did in fact list every single item/feature that can be seen in the video. He made it very clear through his commentary that the footage was merely a Drakensang tech demo to illustrate the very general look & feel of the game.
It would probably have been a good idea of Radon Labs and dtp to display a big, fat "Pre-Alpha Footage - Game won't be out before the end of 2007 at the earliest" disclaimer logo in a corner of the screen of that presentation video .
Of course, they won't magically implement real turn-based combat between now and when the game is released but the "BG in 3D" real-time with pause option combat should be much more refined and polished in 1.5+ years. They got A LOT of time still. Everything in that video was a placeholder for the final version as the commentator said.

/fanboi rant off

OK, back on topic, I was most surprised by the awesome Dark Messiah of M&M (DMoMM) footage. I expected nothing but greatness from Gothic anyway so it couldn't really blow me away as much as the DMoMM video did. The 10-12 hours of gameplay does sound a little short but if it's filled with great, fun and furious action as displayed in the video, well, I definitely prefer that over 20, 50, 100 or even 200+ hours of epic boredom... bring it on! .
Post Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 am
maga998

I say Severance (Blade of Darkness) cannot be bested, now, or in a million years.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 10:47 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Gothic III impressed me in a 'non-impressive' manner. Sounds stupid, but by showing that they appear to be focused on all the right stuff - building a more satisfying game world and play experience is what really got my juices going. There are plenty of prettier games out there, but that isn't what it is about.

Dark Messiah looks like it will be a blast - will it best Blade of Darkness? Who knows, who cares ... just let them all get along

NWN2 impressed me until the DM Client thing ... I don't care about multiplayer, but given Obsidian's one-game history, any admission of 'unfinished-ness' is troubling, as it draws attention to what else might not be done ...

Witcher looks great, as do a bunch of PC shooters and my other love - handhelds; plenty of cool looking FPS & (j)RPG for the DS & PSP coming along.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 11:05 am
abbaon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I want to know if Avellone can do it again. Doesn't everyone?
Post Mon May 15, 2006 11:23 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

After the brilliance of PS-T, CA can do no wrong; he's a genius in my opinion. I have every confidence that the team will triumph in the end. I just don't think they quite realised how vital many of us think the DM client is. It's what makes the multiplayer NWN work WELL!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon May 15, 2006 12:28 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
I just don't think they quite realised how vital many of us think the DM client is.

I'm not sure that is it - from people I've spoken to, it seems that Oblivion spent a fair amount of their 'goodwill capital' on KotOR 2. People are a little less trusting of getting a complete experience this time around, so hearing an exploding rumor of a significant unfinished component is really disconcerting to some.

Me? I'm still 'day of release' on NWN2.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 12:39 pm

Gothic 3
The Witcher

Rest is crap the only game that i want as bad as Gothic 3 would be Resident Evil 5 for ps3.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 3:19 pm

fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
I'm not sure that is it - from people I've spoken to, it seems that Oblivion spent a fair amount of their 'goodwill capital' on KotOR 2. (snip)

You know you've played too much Elder Scrolls when ...

You start calling Obsidian for Oblivion
Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Actually, I think "Spore" impressed me the most since I had heard very little about it prior to E3. Of the available choices, I think "Hellgate: London" gets the nod. I had zero interest in the title, but it sounds like it has potential.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon May 15, 2006 9:45 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I saw no footage so I am equaly unimpressed by all the games I don't care about. I think its odd that Dhruin mentions Drakensang in his post but doesn't list it as an option. But not to worry, as it wouldn't have got my vote, since BG combat in 3d is still BG combat.

I can't ethically vote for any of the games listed, as I am a pompous elitist.
Post Mon May 15, 2006 11:02 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by fatBastard()
quote:
Originally posted by txa1265
I'm not sure that is it - from people I've spoken to, it seems that Oblivion spent a fair amount of their 'goodwill capital' on KotOR 2. (snip)

You know you've played too much Elder Scrolls when ...

You start calling Obsidian for Oblivion

Ha ha ... I love it! Thanks for catching that!

Check out my blog.
Post Tue May 16, 2006 2:28 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I actually was most jazzed by the Warhammer:Mark of Chaos interview and vid that Gamespot put up

Dark Messiah looks sexy as hell too, I cant wait to try that one out.

Excited about most the pre-requisite "most anticipated" rpg geeky titles, primarily impressed w/ what Ive seen of NWNII and GothicIII, the former has me chomping at the bit the most tho.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue May 16, 2006 3:05 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm most excited by Bioshock. I'm all for standard fantasy, but love it when someone tackles another theme and nails it. Fallout, Deus Ex, and System Shock 1&2 were all very successful in this and it looks like Bioshock will be a winner too. The poll will end up with Gothic winning though, as this site has a large number of Gothic fans for some reason. It must be the strong European community here. Nothing wrong with that
Post Tue May 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next