Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Crashing
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

I just bought Gothic about a week ago and have as of yet not been able to play one moment of the game. I have a 1.1ghz processor, 352mb ram, 32mb vram. I am playing on a winbook N3. I get through the credits haltingly and then get a blank screen. If I hit enter at this point then the intro to the game plays flawlessly, as soon as diego says get up however and the game proper is supposed to start the game crashes and I get a sky-like shot. Any info on what I am doing wrong, or what I could do to fix it. Thanks in advance. Riley.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:12 pm

red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That because the game has a crappy graphics engine, bad programming code, and it's riddled with bugs. Try returning it and getting any other at least semi-popular new game out there, you should have no problem with most of them. I got returned Gothic and got American McGee's Alice. Alice is an awesome game with kick-ass graphics (way better than Gothic's graphics). And Alice has a really cool and twisted storyline.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:17 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

dont listen to the troll. He mad cause his PC is garbage. What kind of video card you have? Maybe you need latest drivers or newer version of DirectX?
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:22 pm

I have an S3 Twister Video Card and I have DirectX 8 which I believe is the most recent version.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:04 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-01-31 10:17, red_dog_1515 wrote:
That because the game has a crappy graphics engine, bad programming code, and it's riddled with bugs. Try returning it and getting any other at least semi-popular new game out there, you should have no problem with most of them. I got returned Gothic and got American McGee's Alice. Alice is an awesome game with kick-ass graphics (way better than Gothic's graphics). And Alice has a really cool and twisted storyline.

RETURN GOTHIC?! RETURN GOTHIC?!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

RETURNING GOTHIC SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW!!! IT WOULD BE AN ACT OF INSANITY, I TELL YOU, INSANITY!!!
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I never heart of a S3 twister card. I suggest you go to http://www.viaarena.com and make sure your drivers are up to date. Click on drivers and then on the S3 logo.
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:56 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Winbook...never heard of it but it sounds like a laptop. I didnt know they made laptop video cards powerful enough for 3d rendering yet (I've never seen one yet).
Post Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:46 pm

I am having this exact problem except I have 1.5ghz win ME 256 ram geforce 2 with the latest drivers and I cant get past the pirhana bytes movie no matter how long I wait. I did get past it once but it crashed again after the intro movie.

PLEASE help
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:37 pm

Hi, same problem 2 solutions
1)the patch (i don't know if it works)
2)play with gothic.ini (in System)
I managed to make it work by changing several options (I'm sure you'll do the same)
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:25 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-02-16 16:37, Anonymous wrote:
I am having this exact problem except I have 1.5ghz win ME 256 ram geforce 2 with the latest drivers and I cant get past the pirhana bytes movie no matter how long I wait. I did get past it once but it crashed again after the intro movie.

PLEASE help

This is either a driver problem or you have some other program running in the background.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 1:19 am

I have the latest drivers, no programs running udnerneath. and what did you change in the .ini file that made gothic work. had the game for 3 days now i's soo frustrated that it isnt working.

Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 2:09 am

ok i finally got it past the pirhana movie by turning it off now i can get to the intro movie but when the guy says get up my screen goes black and freezes up. I tried downloading the quickstart file and when i got in i could move straight it was fine but if I turned the slightest bit to the left or the right it froze up.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:18 am

bassampt@att.net
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try changing to DirectSound in the Sounds Option screen.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:12 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-01-31 12:46, Shrapnel wrote:
Winbook...never heard of it but it sounds like a laptop. I didnt know they made laptop video cards powerful enough for 3d rendering yet (I've never seen one yet).

I think Nvidia has just made the portable GeForce 4.
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=geforce4go
Though its triangle producing power is near that of a GeForce 2 Ultra, it is quite power efficient.
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:31 am

ok changed to directsound didnt change anything unfortunatly is there anything i can do? it still stops at after the guy says "get up"
Post Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next