Grim & The Amulet Quest
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

WARNING THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS SPOILERS
Hmmm. I seriously doubt anybody playing the demo won't have found out about the Amulet trap by Grim, but just in case...

I fell for it, and got relieved of my ore before I could even get a hit in. I mean, three against one, not too fair so early in the demo. I tried to draw my weapon before approaching the 2 thugs by the campfire, but Grim just starts yelling for me to put away my weapon. You only get knocked out, but does it change the storyline in any way later on?

On one attempt, I gave Grim a few cracks before we got to the campfire, and he ran away, but not before reducing me to almost zero hit points.

Anybody managed it? Is there a lot of experience if you make it?

==Hawkwind==
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:45 am
|UFF|GodOfFish
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

its not importamt to win. the end is always the same, and you dont get very much exp.

if you really want to win, you should get a good weapon first. if grim runs away, he should come back after a while.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 6:51 am
Diego | R@PC
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

...and you should have an armor. The novice-skirt would be the best. (Is it available in the demo? If not, take the [Was zur Hölle heisst das auf Englisch]"Buddlerhosen" I don't know the english word. It's an armor offered by Fisk on the market place.)
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 7:10 am
Lugorgo(theGermanGothicer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think, that you don't really need the armors at the beginnig which you can buy! Just wait that you are the member of Gomez, Y Berion or Lee!
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 12:03 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ooo... Hawkwind is playing Gothic... Ooo...

Just pay the Protection Money, it's only 10 ore.
You never pay again. Eventhough it seems like you are paying them daily.
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

After his control problems were solved and he found the options menu Hawkwind started to like the game.

This quest is unimportant for the storyline.
Simply solve it, when you´re strong enough. I found one of the possible solutions pretty amusing.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-10-14 16:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-10-14 16:37 ]
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 9:20 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-14 16:07, FetishFool wrote:
Ooo... Hawkwind is playing Gothic... Ooo..

It's a shame when the mind goes.....
quote:

And how would that help me with Grim? Do they retaliate on your behalf, and beat *him* up?

==Hawkwind==
Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:10 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-14 16:20, Gorath wrote:
After his control problems were solved and he found the options menu Hawkwind started to like the game.

Fuh-nee ...you guys are a laugh-riot....

==Hawkwind==

Post Sun Oct 14, 2001 11:15 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-14 16:07, FetishFool wrote:

OK, here's what happened next:

1. I went to Bloodwich & paid him the 10 ore.
2. I went to Grim and told him I'd help him get the amulet.
3. I got knocked unconscious by the bastards at the campfire.(I stored my ore in the chest in my hut, so they never got anything)
4. I'd managed to crack Grim a couple of good ones, so after I got up, I replenished my health & went into the camp after him.
5. I went up to him and he asked me if I wanted peace or to fight. I said "fight" and he drew his club & attacked me. When I drew my weapon and cracked him a hit, all the guards drew their weapons and attacked me, knocking me down unconscious. They never even *challenged* Grim.
6. Bloodwich had said that if 2 people fight that have both paid protection money, then they let them 'duke it out'. Obviously, that is either not working properly in the game - or it's just not true in the plotline.

I just wanted the satisfaction of killing that bastard Grim....

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-14 20:26 ]
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 1:18 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Why are you two calling that a 'quest'??
There is no amulet!!!

Grim only tells you that to lure you outside of the camp so that he can kick your ass for not paying protection money!!

Doesn't he tell you that?

You're supposed to pay the money the first chance you get. If you don't, then the "Grim script" will be enabled.
If you pay late, you should go to bed, and wake up the next morning. Grim won't bother you anymore.

Bloodwyn has to tell Grim that you payed late.
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:55 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I never paid the money. What I did was I went outside and just killed the two guys by the camp fire, then I went and talked to Grim, brought told him it was time to go and killed him by himself. I don't remember if I let him start the fight or if I just pulled my sword and let him have it. Either way he is quite dead <:

Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:09 pm
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-14 21:55, FetishFool wrote:
Why are you two calling that a 'quest'??
There is no amulet!!!

Yes - yes - YES, I *know* That !!
quote:

Grim only tells you that to lure you outside of the camp so that he can kick your ass for not paying protection money!!

Doesn't he tell you that?

Again, YES - he does (still waiting to hear something I *don't* know)
quote:

You're supposed to pay the money the first chance you get. If you don't, then the "Grim script" will be enabled.

Grim was the VERY FIRST person I talked to in the camp that had a name other than 'digger' or 'shadow'. I mean, he's right *there* when you walk past the entryway. And he told me about the amulet at that point. I talked to Bloodwyn *after* I talked to Grim - so, by your logic, he shouldn't have said that about the 'amulet' at all, at that point!
quote:

If you pay late, you should go to bed, and wake up the next morning. Grim won't bother you anymore.

Well, I really don't *care* about that aspect of it - I just wanted to know *why* if I *paid* the protection money, was I attacked by the guards, when I was told that if 2 people who had paid fought - the guards wouldn't interfere.

==Hawkwind==

[ This Message was edited by: Hawkwind on 2001-10-15 18:05 ]
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 11:02 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ahhh... So that's what you left out!

Grim attacks you from the very start??
Well that's obviously a bug. If it happens over and over again, then, well, redownload Gothic from a different site.

After you ask every Digger and Shadow, you'll realize that the only reason people pay protection money is so that they don't get their asses kicked by the Guards.

Like if you don't pay the money, Herek will attack you because "Now everyone will have to pay your share of the protection money".

If things are THIS bad at the Old Camp, imagine what it's like at the New Camp!!!

Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:39 am
Hawkwind
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-10-15 10:09, Stiletto wrote:
I never paid the money. What I did was I went outside and just killed the two guys by the camp fire, then I went and talked to Grim, brought told him it was time to go and killed him by himself. I don't remember if I let him start the fight or if I just pulled my sword and let him have it. Either way he is quite dead <:

I followed your advice, Stiletto - I wasted the thugs at the campfire, and then went & got Grim to come out there. He wasn't so tough without his buddies backing him up

I never had so much satisfaction as whacking that guy!!!

==Hawkwind==
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:14 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Are you sure that you had not talked to Bloodwyn in a past life or something??? The first time I talked to Grim, there was no mention of a quest at all. He was very nice in fact. Then after Bloodwyn, he asked me to go on a quest, but naturally you don't usually relate the two. So I said yes and got whacked. reloaded, killed his buddies and whacked him <: Of course I did not "subdue" him, rather I put the sword through his chest and killed him. I think you must have talked to Bloodwyn at some point!!!
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 4:49 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next