Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Love the game, but am I missing something?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think Gothic is fantastic. I have played it all day and I barely made it to level 2. Now, the only real gripe I am running into is that the combat is very awkward. Perhaps I am used to playing other games, but I would greatly appreciate some pointers, like should I bother with blocking at all, or if I should run around my oponnents at all before striking. Also, I have been defeated countless times by Kirgan at the arena, is he supposed to be real tough. Finally, please, can anyone let me know where I can find Graham the cartografer in order to be able to start the mine quest?
Thanks to anyone that tries to help.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:50 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Grahamīs hut is close to the main entrance. Check the map on GothicDot for the exact location. Save before you talk to him.

Blocking: IMO itīs useful. Some opponents are open for counterattacks after you blocked their attacks. Others should be forced to defend right away.
Combat gets better when you are stronger, own better weapons and armour, and know some attack combos. At level 2 your char is still pretty far down in the foodchain.
The fighters in the arena are too strong now.
Why donīt you continue with the free trips to the NC and the Psi Camp?
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:09 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, I never bothered with blocking in combat. Just hit them hard and often . In general it's a good idea to not wait for an enemy to attack you but to attack him/her/it first. With the right timing you will not even get hurt because your enemy can't attack you as long as you're hitting him/her/it.

Kirgo is definitely too hard to beat on level 2. You should first get some armor and better weapons. He is a tough guy. Try to beat him at around level 7-9.

Graham is near the northern gate to the old camp. When you enter it turn right. You should then see a small group standing around a camp fire (including a guy from the weed smoking sleeper sect). One of them is Graham. He will ask you to pay for the map. Don't. Just threaten to beat him up and he'll give it to you for free. You don't necessarily need the map if you know where the mine is. You can solve the mine quest w/o having the map.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:14 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thankyou very much for your quick reply Gorath. it really helps to focus the way you play a game when a veteran gives you advice. On to further questions though, so you suggest that I travel to the other camps to gain strength? I want to be a Fighter, are the other fighters better than those at the Old Camp? Aren't I too weak to travel such far distances. Thanks for the help friend.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:18 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You are way too weak to travel alone! There are people who guide you to the other camps. One person for each camp, to be more precise. They do all the fighting, you get the Exp.
Did you get Thorusīs quest? If not, go get it.
Fighter is the path you automatically chose. So donīt worry.
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:26 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thanks for the help guys
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:15 am

I beated Kirgo on lvl 3
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 11:37 am

Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

how? Did you cheat?
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:43 pm

I killed Kirgo and the other (stronger) fighter on level 3 too. But it was not a fair fight, though no cheating was envolved
Post Sun Nov 25, 2001 3:01 pm