The Bed Quest - ROTF,LMAO
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Divinity & Beyond Divinity

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The Bed Quest - ROTF,LMAO

A cheat sheet from spoiler.com mentioned a portable bed in a house near the abbey. I went hunting for it and found it.

It is a four poster, if not king size. You can put it in your inventory. It takes up 1/4 of the space in the miscelaneous section. But it doesn't weigh an ounce.

I am going to lug this bed around with me I will too. In each new section I'll set it down in some convenient spot.

I do have the pyramids and leave one beside the bed in Joram's house, but I like the security of not having to travel!

BTW, has anyone actually kiled Ortho's pigs? He took off for Rivertown so he wouldn't know if I did it or not. I hope he comes back. Maybe I'll restore and kill them just to see the fun.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 3:42 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, I knew about that exploit. Kind of funny. Reminds me of Ultima 6 where I had my fighter lug around a skiff so I could sail places easily.

I did kill the pigs. He really wasn't happy.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 10:46 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Yeah, I knew about that exploit. Kind of funny. Reminds me of Ultima 6 where I had my fighter lug around a skiff so I could sail places easily.

I did that too! I thought that was really quite funny ... "Don't worry boys that little ocean is NO problem, I got this here boat in my back pack. Yep, it'll carry all of us and all our gear."

The Ultima 6 boat at least weighed a lot
Post Tue May 13, 2003 1:44 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well usually you put yourf portable bed in your book of holding.

Its in the thiefs guild in verdistis.

Its not as hidden as the bed, its necessary that you find it. Just that you might not realize what it does if youre not paying attention.

Also, you can keep 2 hay bales in your inventory, take them out and make a bed anyway. That was the intended portable bed in the game, there is conversation tree about it in the farmlands. Most people didnt figure this out.

The portable bed is more convenient though.

There are many many strange inventory things in DD. Another is simply that chests weigh nothing so long as they are open. Put unlimited things in a chest, keep it open and put it in your inventory. Close it and it gets heavy though.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 2:18 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Ooo, I didn't know about the chests! I'll have to try that. It'll make organizing my inventory easier.

@Lindra: Yup, this is one of the reasons I really love games like this. You can find all of these fun things to do with ordinary stuff.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 8:14 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
Well usually you put yourf portable bed in your book of holding.

Its in the thiefs guild in verdistis.

Its not as hidden as the bed, its necessary that you find it. Just that you might not realize what it does if youre not paying attention.

Also, you can keep 2 hay bales in your inventory, take them out and make a bed anyway. That was the intended portable bed in the game, there is conversation tree about it in the farmlands. Most people didnt figure this out.

The portable bed is more convenient though.

There are many many strange inventory things in DD. Another is simply that chests weigh nothing so long as they are open. Put unlimited things in a chest, keep it open and put it in your inventory. Close it and it gets heavy though.

I did try to put bales of straw in my backpack, but couldn't. Actually, the straw is very awkward to use. I unbundled every bale in the barn where I met the scared knight, but still couldn't sleep on any of it. I finally got it to work outdoors by untying one bundle then putting another bundle upright on it. The sideways ones wouldn't work. That's the reason most people couldn't figure it out. The game is too picky about how you make your bed BTW, how do you pick up the hay to carry it around? I couldn't do that either.

The four poster is just great. It is much easier to use than the pyramids. I just open inventory, drop it, sleep, and then put it back in inventory. It's so big that I have no worrying about forgetting to pick it up. Alas, if I do, I can't use my bed at home to find it!

I tried sleeping in it in the middle of a fight but the game wouldn't let me. Perhaps that was because not enough time had passed since my last nap. I'm thinking that since the game doesn't expect beds to be where there are monsters, it might just let me sleep while the monster waits. I'll let you know if it works.
Post Tue May 13, 2003 10:46 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Val

I did kill the pigs. He really wasn't happy.

LOL, I loved the Ultima series. I wish they'd make more off line games.

But I never through of putting a boat in my backpack and I remember constantly losing a boat in one game (but may that was a M&M game).
Post Tue May 13, 2003 11:00 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Clarification on the open chests ... it does not reduce the weight of the chest and contents to 0, only the weight of the chest...the contents still count (I tried it last night).
Post Wed May 14, 2003 12:24 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
Clarification on the open chests ... it does not reduce the weight of the chest and contents to 0, only the weight of the chest...the contents still count (I tried it last night).

I think you can put the bed in a chest, even though visually, the bed is much larger. Since the bed doesn't weigh anything either way, you can save space by carrying it around in a chest. But that makes it less fun to use. I love just plopping it out in the middle of the market and taking a nap:)
Post Wed May 14, 2003 10:53 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well I dont have the game installed right now so I have to go from memory.

The way you are intended to make hay is to put 2 of them into bales and then drag them to your inventory.
Then I think you pull them out and click on one with the other.

And yes, if you ever make them go sideways they dont work anymore. Or that hay just doesnt work in the first place.

Theres hay in the wastelands area for you to take into the dungeon with you for what it matters, and there is hay in the sewers. They threw hay everywhere for you. But I would guess less that 1/10 of 1% of the people who played through the whole game figured it out and used it like they meant.
Either you used the pyramids, the portable bed or you just didnt take damage lol.
Post Fri May 16, 2003 1:23 pm