Usergroups
disapointing review :(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This is a real RPG, not a Diablo clone. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it is bad. I am really enjoying the game. You come to know ppl in the game and the main character becomes part of you, how cool is that?

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 5:24 am
Leandar
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Actually, I have Extol, I love'em. One of my favourite christian death metal bands. I'm wondering if you guys have heard a swedish band called evergrey. It is absolutely amazing. It is not death metal, so the voice is sung and not gutural, and they are very melodic. But that guy injects so much feeling that it makes the music very intense. Check 'em out at http://www.evergrey.net.
I also like Black metal acts like Dimmu Borgir from Norway and Sentenced (wich has kind of mellowed out lately) from Finland.
By the way, I'm in Miami and there's somewhat of a metal scene going on here but nothing even remotely close to England or the rest of europe for that matter.
Anyway, it's cool to know that there are more people out there who appreciate good music and not that rap-rock crap that's so popular today.

Up The Irons!

Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 5:41 am

This is going to be a completly pointless post... none the less, I just want to say that I totally disagree. I just hope for your sake that you give the game another chance.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:46 pm

WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I thought you said you weren't trying to be a troll, yet you sure are doing a good job of being one.

Also if you REALLY have a P4 + a GeForce 2 you should have no problems at all with the graphics.

Gothic is a TRUE non-linear rpg that seems to be beyond your simple mind.

If you want a 3D game that you can pretend is a rpg play Everquest.

I am a TROLL
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 7:32 pm

wickedkae
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

sorry skull king but your mind is too inferior to handle such a game. Yes, you are a moron and all your friends are too. You must live in hickville becuase if you this game rules and makes you think in a whole new way that almost EVERY rpg has made you think before. So stop messing around with your sister and read a book and try to expand your mind in some way. I know its hard for someone like you who has conformed to some inbred society to comprehend a game of this magnitude, but please try.
Post Sat Dec 01, 2001 8:01 pm

well, its not really a full blooded rpg, true. Its a hybrid rpg/action game similar to Deus Ex. Dues Ex had a fixed character as well but there were more skill options to play with. There are very few skills or skill levels compared to a full rpg like the daggerfall series.

As far as the graphics, yeah, many people have complained that they stutter and jerk alot. Ive had to do quite a bit of tweaking myself and end up with desktop crashes alot as well.

Overall its an OK game. Not game of the year material but entertaining.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:24 am

Chiz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Man, I dont see how this many people would get offended by the review he gave. True though about the engine, its actually not bad, and the graphics were pretty good, especially for an rpg. Even though the dialogue was annoying I dont think that the game would be deemed bad because of it. However, The game just give the illusion that you'll have to live in a hostile environment with convicts lookin to get at every turn and such and such, I think thats a total lie. Right when I got into Old Camp I was getting warnings about how bad it was being a new guy who hasnt chosen a camp yet, but I was still running around doing what I please and not being picked on unless I stole something or hit someone. I dont see how this is called hostile, its kinda like real life actually. If it was a real prison colony you'd be a guy's whoe as soon as you walked thru the castle gates, or at least you would had to defend yerself several times inside the town, I mean, what was the point in paying off the guards to protect me then?

Also the fact that whatever guild you joined was completely meaningless to the story or any sub-quest type developments was a REAL downer. You'd think that when you got to being a Guard(which was apparently really easy and fast to reach considering its the highest title you can get in OC) would give you certain responsibilities, like say..guard duty or resovling conflicts or defending the town from new camp or something.

I think right after you join a game the game just turns into another adventure game with bad controls and to top it off the game slaps you with a horrible ending.

Conclusion, best way to play this game is to just play the demo stop there.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:52 am

Leandar...Im the guy who wrote yesterday about extol and living sacrifice. Ha..Ill check out that band you told me about.. Thanks for the info...Hey, there is this band called blindside and they were hard on a couple of their songs....do you know them? are they anygood? Im in a christian band but we play a lot of types of music. We mix jazz beats with metal guitar and so on....If you guys want more info email me at Xristo903@cs.com Whats your band name leandar? I live in new york. The music scene here is not very good and especially hard for christian bands. Im not a big fan of that rap rock stuff either. Oh yeah thrice is a kick ass band too!!! check em out
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 5:05 am

the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

for wicked..

man.. you can suck it! okay. you dont know me.. you obviously have never been to colorado.. so stop being such an idiot.

"inferior"? just because i dont like the game as much as you does not affect my intellect. i think most intelligent people would not like this game. and not because they are intelligent, but because not everyone even likes video games.

the game is simple. VERY SIMPLE. as a matter of fact.. its more simple than diablo. just because you use the keyboard to walk with and attack with doesnt mean its "intellectually superior".

face it. the game is not that great. if you like it.. well great for you. but i still think you are an idiot. what this game and this board have to do with you thinking i may sleep with my sister have NOTHING IN COMMEN.

i dont like you. but i appriciate the fact you have spoken your mind.. and proven to be an idiot.

thanks captain idiot.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 3:54 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

more on the metal topic.

yes i listen to living sacrafie.. my band opened up for them when they came through here. they are complete rockers! check out their side-project band - soul embraced

yes i listen to extol. they are sick sick! and our old band opened up for them in st. louis. and if you like them.. check out their side-project band - lengsel

there are tons of good bands out there. and tons of all christian metal if thats what you want. i can name quite a few all christian bands that rock it.

we played at cornerstone this last year.. it sucked because we got stuck with closing night on one of the suck stages.. cornerstone is mostly a non-metal gathering.. and i hated about 99% of the bands there.

i dont like blindside much. even their heavy stuff is pretty much a rip off other bands.

and for the guy that likes tool and ozzy.. i do laugh at ozzy.. that guy is about as evil as the rabbit in bambi. hes a joke. hehe.. and i think his music sucks.

as far as tool. tool knows what music is. and just because they are on the radio doesnt mean you cant like them. they are very talented.. just not near as heavy as the stuff i listen too.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:08 pm

The skull-king whats your band name? i gotta check out thse band's side projects. conerstone isnt very good...but christian creation shows a lot of cool bands. yeah ozzy does suck. I never saw any greatness within him.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:13 pm

the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

http://www.laidtorest.net - is my main band site

check it out. none of our mp3's are up yet because we finished a new record and need to get them up instead of the old stuff... should be done in a few days though.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:20 pm

Kool Ill check you guys out. ya should come to New York and give it a try...my band isnt as metal oriented but we play many styles and have something for everyone. haha....some people say that thats not good but what the hell. I play for fun. the band name is sp conversion...you con find us on http://www.mp3.com if you dont wanna bother to look us up its kool anyway.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:50 pm

the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

sure.. ill check you guys out.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:02 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3