Free MMORPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Darkmoon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Free MMORPG

Greetings! I've read many threads in this forum, and have found the collective intelligence level to be higher than most places I frequent (which admittedly doesn't say much for me ). Many of the threads here contain real thought and debates are well articulated and insightful. I just might take up permanent residence here.

With that, I'd like to invite you all to visit the PlaneShift site. The project is still in pre-alpha stage, and from all reports, the client is fairly stable. Server is located at planeshift.fragnetics.com (more info here). It's an OpenSource project being put together by a small international team in their spare time (i.e.- unpaid), who only communicate through IRC and e-mail. The dev team intends to keep the client freely downloadable, and charge no monthly fees to play. Most of the devs are (or were at some point) tabletop role-players, and work on the project because they enjoy creating it, not caring if they ever get paid.

I'm very interested to see what this community thinks of PlaneShift. Please post your thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc. I look forward to your reviews.
Post Thu May 22, 2003 12:21 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Wow, I have to check this out. I checked the screenshots quickly and the graphics look nice.

You have some pretty nice project going on there.
Post Thu May 22, 2003 1:30 pm
maximAL
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmm, i think planeshift is still far from being worth a look. of coure, it seems interesting at the first glance because of the nice graphics. but still, there's nearly zero gameplay and the devs still have to prove if they are able to put an real game together.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:44 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i'd guess the lack of gameplay would be because it's "still in pre-alpha stage"?

looks promising, i'll certainly keep an eye on it

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:58 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

are there screenshots anywhere to look at?
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:30 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

At the link Darkmoon posted?
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:39 pm
Darkmoon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, the fact that it's pre-alpha and open to the public is a much different environment than closed commercial games, where all you get is a website that says "Coming soon!" Everything that's done with PlaneShift gets released to the public for review and testing. The community submits ideas that can actually go in the game, and that process is encouraged by the developers. When you look at a closed studio, people outside of the process rarely (or never) get to see or experience the different development stages, as everything but the game premise is under lock and key. PlaneShift has no financial backing; no clueless investors wondering if they can turn a bigger profit if the game gets pushed out the door faster. The downside is that it gets done when it gets done, and the development usually takes more time.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:01 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Darkmoon, from first glance your project seems very interesting. If some people can't see the interest in an independant project like that I think they need to wake up and look at the state of MMORPG gaming with a fresh look Planeshift sounds like a very good project, with lots of potential. Yes, It probably need some work, but then it's very young and you seem to be open to what others have to say. I'll certainly keep an eye on this project and hope that it comes to terms.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:42 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

What Ekim said !

I find it nice to notice that this kind of projects exist.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:26 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

oh i played planeshift, graphics were great but there were no weapons and it just confused me, figured id try again closer to completion
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:38 pm