Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Pre-E3 Preview @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Pre-E3 Preview @ IGN

A pretty meaty pre-E3 <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/704/704780p1.html" target="_blank">preview</a> of Dark Messiah is up at PC.IGN and offering some first-hand impressions:<blockquote><em>Taken at a glance, Dark Messiah looks like Thief: Deadly Shadows. It's quite moody and medieval, and you'll do some light stealthing as well as melee and ranged combat. But after that, the similarities start to dissolve. While Arkane Studios, makers of the underrated Arx Fatalis, has an obvious love of RPGs, the Source engine is arguably geared more towards action than dialog trees or skill point distribution. The video clips we saw previous to the presentation are actually indicative of the game's style, which favors knives over negotiation. What those brief glimpses can't capture quite as well is how smooth and nuanced the combat system is. Like Chronicles of Riddick, Dark Messiah looks to have gotten first-person melee down pat. As Trespasser taught us many years ago, it can look kind of awkward from this perspective. During the course of the presentation, we saw manual blocks, parries, attacks, and power attacks, and some interestingly stylized hand positions.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu May 04, 2006 9:08 pm
Carpathic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I have loved M&M for so long I am almost worried about this game. It could be good (it certainly looks pretty) but still....
Post Thu May 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Hasn't Might & Magic always been about stats, skills and leveling? I would put this on par more with Crusaders of Might & Magic or Legends of Might & Magic.

I'll still buy this just because these are the same guys that did Arx Fatalis, but I don't think this game is going to be very true to the Might & Magic history of crpgs.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:05 pm

Ryder
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Carpathic
I have loved M&M for so long I am almost worried about this game. It could be good (it certainly looks pretty) but still....

Why would you worry about this game when it has nothing to do with the previous 9 (10) Might and Magic RPG games?

This is a stand alone game and as Dhruin said, it's more like Crusaders and Legends than it is MM.

Just hope and pray that Ubi decide to make MM10 one day.
Post Thu May 04, 2006 10:25 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I thought I read somewhere that this really has nothing to do with Might and Magic - and they used the license purely for marketing purposes. The game itself looks great.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 12:10 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
I thought I read somewhere that this really has nothing to do with Might and Magic - and they used the license purely for marketing purposes. The game itself looks great.

That's basically true. This game follows in the footsteps of "Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone" and "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" in attempting to bring an action RPG to consoles by slapping a famous PC brand name on a totally unrelated game. Personally, I don't think that it's going to work. PC gamers are going to shun it because they don't like it when some random game has a licensed property name stamped on it, and console gamers don't give a crap about the Might and Magic name, so they'll probably see this as Oblivion, but without the outstanding graphics and huge world.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 12:35 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I agree. I think the only reason people will buy it is because:

- it looks over the top violent and brutal like Severance BoD
- those who know about Arx Fatalis know the quality of the developer
- Source Engine

I think the M&M name might actually be a liability but who knows. Reviews will really drive this one.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 12:43 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
I agree. I think the only reason people will buy it is because:
- it looks over the top violent and brutal like Severance BoD

Which mainstream gamers have never heard of ...

quote:
- those who know about Arx Fatalis know the quality of the developer

Which, again, has no mainstream pull.

quote:
- Source Engine

BAM!

quote:
I think the M&M name might actually be a liability but who knows. Reviews will really drive this one.

Possibly - because it creates an expectation that is not going to be met. I am excited about it for the reasons you mention - I don't have a 'M&M history', so I am not encumbered by that expectation. I'm excited to get a fun action game.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 1:48 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Looks interesting, I'm an M&M newb as well

I fear however that this game is going to suffer the same fate as my dearly departed Dragonshard - too much D&D for the RTS crowd, not enough D&D for the dice rollers, topped off with a healthy crowd of people who have no clue what D&D even is any more.

Dark Messiah had better have great reviews, and an advertising onslaught that rivals a political campaign
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 05, 2006 2:30 pm
Sherwin

I loved Might and Magic, but this game from its description is definately not Might and Magic like said above. I'm just waiting for the day some developer creates M&M 10. I liked most of the previous games of the series and I've played ALL of them.
Post Fri May 05, 2006 5:39 pm

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I just saw something from E3 that indicated"
quote:
Publisher: Ubisoft
Developer: Arkane Studios / Kuju (Multiplayer)
Ship Date: September 2006
Category: First-Person Action / FPS
Rating: RP (Rating Pending)

Sept?

Check out my blog.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:48 pm