Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Who created the Barrier?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Do you think that Y'Berrion helped casting the Barrier?
I think so.
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Of course not!
76%
 76%  [ 39 ]
Why should I know?!
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 51

Author Thread
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

Maybe we could find more details about the barrier from the mage's or Xardas in gothic3.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:19 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I hope so, can't wait.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:27 pm
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I am ceirtain Y'Berion was not creating the barier.

But i think the most important question is why it grew so large! Or better, who caused this! Xardas says to u it was the sleeper who caused it. But when i combine the stories of g1 and g2, i come to an interesting conclusion. He wanted the sleeper, he wanted his power, but he couldnt kill him alone. That is why he (remember he was coorginating the creation) expanded the barier enough to capture him and to find someone who was strong enough to kill him and dumb enough to follow his lead. Jeah, it is our main character.

This is not concrete data, it is only one possibility. A bit unregular, but in my oppinion quite possible!
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:33 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Offcourse Yberion didn't help creating the barrier. The 13/12 magicians thing is already explained by either Kaïro at the Dot (Yes, 1.5y he made an appearance here.) or by Mike Hodge in an interview. It was simply a miscalculation of them. Magicians of fire and magicians of water were very close at the creation of the barrier. They grew apart from each other in the colony.(Saturas specifies that when you have to get to the old camp to convice Corystho to aid them.)

Yberion was a convict who got his magic after the creation of the barrier. Milten joined in later (was actually an apprentice of Corystho.) and Xardas was a fire magician. We know for sure that Xardas's leaving of the fire magicians went unnoticed for the outside world before the fall of te barrier. (One wouldn't address a letter to someone if he knew for sure that the letter wouldn't arrive at the hands of the rightfull owner.)

Now there are still two reasonable explanations which PB could give: Milten was already learning from Corstho before and was found good enough to help creating the barrier. (doesn't sound good for me) One of the twelve 'normal' magicians died before you could get in.
NFG member
Post Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:38 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I read the Almanac in G2, Monastery cellar. In it Xardas writes that the king is stupid, he doesn't see what's going on. The mages cast the Barrier not to prison the convicts but to prevent the orcs mine and take the ore.
Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:11 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really? Interesting.
Where can I find that book? (larder, treasury, etc.).
Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:10 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

sure EDV it is also told in the intro of G1
Post Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:23 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

My best guess is that, Beliar's Earthly, err what ever planet Gothic is on representitve the Undead Dragon summoned the Sleeper (Beliar's earthly manifestation) to prevent Xardas from completing the barrier.

The Barrier is specificly mentioned as being created to protect the ore from the Orc's, whom the Undead Dragon was commanding to destroy the Kingdom.

Xardas as the most knowledgable and wisest of all the Kingdom, relaised that it was the Sleeper whom distorted the barrier, since the Sleeper wasnt fully manifested he was only able to entrap the Kingdoms most powerful mages within the barrier instead of preventing it.
Since the Sleeper had altered the magic constitution of the barrier the only way to destroy it was to banish the Sleeper.

Xardas gets pissed cause the Sleeper corrupted his very powerful magic, so Xardas realises that understanding the magic of the Sleeper could he prevent and challenge Beliar's chosen was to understand their Dark magic.
Knowing the Fire mage's strict but limited code he knew he must leave the Order to understand and study the Dark magic.
So in comes the Hero and because of his study of the Dark magic, Xardas knows if the Hero is the Chosen of Innos that he alone could defeat the Sleeper.

He helps and guides you to find the Temple of the Sleeper then once you discover the sword he learns how to charge it and helps you find a way to do it, allowing you the power to destroy the Sleeper and the magic armor to protect you.
Since now that he has studied the Dark magic he knew what it would take to destroy the Sleeper.

Ouch that hurt my brain
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:21 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

MMM interesting theory with new facts, well just like a lot of other theorys this could be the right one. But I think we will never know the exact truth, it is a secret that has to stay consealed
Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:39 am
hyabuso
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the thing with milten is strange, because in g2, he directly knows the other firemages! so before he went into the barrier, he must have had connections there.
Post Fri May 26, 2006 10:04 pm
hyabuso
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

and also, i heard an arguement that y'berion wasnt a firemage because he doesnt use firemagic? well, DUH! does Xardas use firemagic? no, but still he was a firemage.
Post Fri May 26, 2006 10:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6