Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PC/Xbox 360) - Screenshots @ WorthP
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (PC/Xbox 360) - Screenshots @ WorthP

WorthPlaying's Rainier has just posted up some 8 new <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=27932&mode=thread&order=0" target="_blank">screenshots</a> for Bethesda Softworks' highly anticipated PC/Xbox 360 versions of the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for your viewing pleasure... <br> <br><blockquote><em>Oblivion is a single-player game that takes place in Tamriel's capital province, Cyrodiil. You are given the task of finding the hidden heir to a throne that sits empty, the previous emperor having been killed by an unknown assassin. Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics. <br></em></blockquote>
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:18 pm
Vindicator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

These screenshots lack the visual fidelity of the ones previously released on the official Oblivion website. In particular, note the very low-res, muddy textures... In the original screenshots, you could see the bark on the trees, each leaf and blade of grass, intricate armor/shield designs, etc. Also note how the trees appear somewhat flat now. The lighting model is simplistic, and there are no shadows. It doesn't look "next-gen" to me. Maybe they simply overestimated the power of the XBox360.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:46 pm
deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with Vindicator! These pictures look like crap compared to what they have been showing. If this is what the game will reallybe like then I will not fork over my 400 bucks in November for the new XBOX 360. I will just buy the PC version for my SLI 4mhz machine. Gothic 3 is looking better that these screenshots.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:24 pm
ElSebasti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The pics are probably taken from the PC version (look for the mouse pointer in the major skills menu screenshot).

BTW what kind of char class mixes Alteration, Destruction and Ilusion with Blade, Block and Heavy Armor for major skills?
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:06 pm
Vindicator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've noticed the same thing about Project Gotham Racing 3 for the XBox360. The early screenshots were amazing:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1248/full-res/1119021404.jpg
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1248/full-res/1125062377.jpg

Here the latest screenshot posted on 8/26/05:

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1248/full-res/1125062380.jpg

Let's hope it's from an unannounced PS2 version.
I think I'll put my plans for that new HDTV on hold.
Post Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 pm
Twinfalls

The devs on the TES boards have mentioned that these images must be heavily compressed - they do not reflect the true quality of the in-game graphics.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:31 am

deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Twinfalls
The devs on the TES boards have mentioned that these images must be heavily compressed - they do not reflect the true quality of the in-game graphics.

Twinfalls I sure hope this is true, because the other screen shots are what made me want the XBOX 360.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:43 am
Dr. A

You know, i've seen these pics before, except the one with the female NPC - they were part of magazine scans

and the magazine scans looked better than most of these pics, in particular the ship pic. Could these pics be badly scanned images from the mag instead of offically allowed screenshots?
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:28 am

Vindicator
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I took one of the original screenshots and compressed it from 259k down to 64k using a 20% jpeg quality level... and it was still very sharp and detailed. So, I don't think you can blame image compression; in fact, some are larger files than the original screenshots. Next, I added image blur and smoothing to remove some detail... again, not even close. So, I doubt these are magazine scans. To me, it looks like they used low-res textures as if it were designed for a 64M video card, or the original XBox.

I really hope that these are simply early screenshots, because they don't look much improved over Morrowind.
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:39 pm
oblivion.pl

for me xbox360 (and other consoles) just suck compared to new-age computers (imagine the power of double gf 6800 or 7800 even :>)

yes, these are screenshots from xbox, and yes, they suck (not becouse of the game, but because of the platform...)

on your place i'd just improve your comp

consoles suck forever
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:20 pm

XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Guest, You should have read what other people have said...

The screenshots have been reduced in quality, the console and pc version will both look the same because they are essentially both running the same game.

Console gaming is just different because you have a tv which is most likely bigger than your computer monitor. And also because you control everything with a game controller...
Post Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:19 pm

quote:
Originally posted by XVampireX
Guest, You should have read what other people have said...

The screenshots have been reduced in quality, the console and pc version will both look the same because they are essentially both running the same game.

Console gaming is just different because you have a tv which is most likely bigger than your computer monitor. And also because you control everything with a game controller...

XVampireX, you should have read what other people said about compresses images...compressing an image won't result in that kind of poor quality.

Also, you're ignoring the huge fact that most people's TV is low resolution while modern PCs will display things typically up to 1600x1200, something HDTVs cant even touch yet.
Post Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:02 am

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Don't mean to spoil the party but regarding any and all screenshots, I'd advise to wait until we have seen actual in-game screenshots including the interface and actual proof that the screenshots were taken from a real playing session.
All of the "screenshots" that were released so far look as if they were taken during 3D Studio Max rendering sessions.
I have a feeling that it might be wise to wait for Bethesda to release the first "real" screenshots before making any judgement about the quality of the graphics .
Post Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 am
Sintek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Christ on a cracker it's 2005, people. Does the public still believe screenshots released for the press represent how the game will actually look? Unless you take a screenshot of every frame and run it through some filters, you're never going to achieve the the beauty of the officially released shots. The publisher wants people to look at the screens and feel that their life depends upon obtaining this game - showing the game in all its Xbox360 scaled-down glory will inspire only apathy in the potential buyer.

Having said that, the images at WP are obviously affected by horrible artifacting and I believe resizing, or were in fact scanned from a magazine as has been mentioned.
Post Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:15 am