Sign you'r online Petition to Atari for stopping the addon
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Atari might not take it very seriously with all those Gramatical and Spelling errors.

Atari easily ignores it either way. Just a waste of time. Now you're going to say "But it's not a waste of time! It only takes a few seconds to sign up and everyone and his brother can join!" And that's why it's useless.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:00 pm
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I was the 51 to sign the petition and proud of it.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:10 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Spunior,

quote:
Atari easily ignores it either way. Just a waste of time. Now you're going to say "But it's not a waste of time! It only takes a few seconds to sign up and everyone and his brother can join!" And that's why it's useless.

Yeah, but even if it fails, a show of strength and solidarity will be symbolic of our principles.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I posted the link on the Gamer.no forums,(g2 is higly praised there) that will hopefully atrack some more petitions.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:09 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

those damn petions have never archived anything..AND yes i've signed quite a a lot of those.Then, what happends?nothing :p

so i don't think its worth of an effort to do so now..
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:42 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
those damn petions have never archived anything..AND yes i've signed quite a a lot of those.Then, what happends?nothing :p

so i don't think its worth of an effort to do so now..

I don' t think it will accomplish anything either but at least I tried.

Atari's decision is most likely a calculated business decision. They won't let 50 some people change their decision.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:00 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I was number 80 to sign. I wish more people would find out about this and sign, like Fallout 3. Atari has really been pissing me off lately.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:49 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'll sign and I think a boycott of Atari games would be good too. I'm ashamed to say I just bought Temple of Elemental Evil but if I had known it was an Atari game I swear I wouldn't have. I've had a look at the Temple forums and I'm amused to see people there seem to be just as pissed off at Atari as we are.

Gamers of the world unite!
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:54 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I don't know if regional Atari offices decide anything on their own, but when I was checking out the Atari forums, it felt as if the Atari US would do the english version of NoTR, IF they would HAVE IT. However, they don't, because it all is in Atari UK, who isn't doing anything. At least, from Atari US person reply it seemed that they would do it, if they had it...

EDIT: I was 92nd.. Anyways, you know what may be bad? If the silly publisher has issues already with publishing the add-on, let's just hope that there will be no such problems with publishing english G3 when it's out. That one would be much bigger project, and these publishers-losers already are stuck with much smaller one.. Maybe we should actually "petition" to Piranha Bytes and let them know, that they should release G3 in english from the start. Why release it in german language yet again, thus limiting it to the small part of Europe only, and by the time the english version comes out, a lot of time has passed and many people have given up already on it due to the wait, not to mention that by the time it is out, it's outdated already (1 or more years old). And then the english one will have basically no support at all yet again and so on.. So, someone make the petition to PB and tell them to release G3 in english from the start, to make it international right away
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:51 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I am pretty certain that the Gothic German Versions has sold a lot more than the English versions.

If the case were different I am sure PB would have already done as you suggest.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:47 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

But that was also because the English version wasn't properly promoted, like the German, many gamers didn't want to wait a year for the game and moved on and third the English version had a lot more bugs in it than the German.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:43 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I agree; but publishers dont understand things like that. All they see is the bottom line...

I would hope that PB knows the reasons. But considering they are on the other side of the Planet, and the severe lack of communication between them and Atari, I would beleive that they have no idea of why it didnt sell well in the US.

Surely if they knew how badly Atari was doing they would have dropped them as their publisher immediately?
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:47 pm
cluster550
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

# 111
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:32 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Only reason why german copies my have sold more is just that - the game was made in german ONLY language first, and english speaking community had to wait, for, what, a YEAR to get it? Year is a long time and kills a lot of interest easily, not to mention that in this line of business, year means "ages" and any product is old after one year. If they would have made it english right from the start, I can easily bet that the game sales would have been significally higher then they are now.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:54 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Geez, there's more to the rather weak sales performance of Gothic II than the delay and whatnot.

First of all, it got A LOT more coverage in Germany than in other regions thanks to PB being a German developer. Huge previews and whatnot. Secondly, the reviews were very positive. Check the right column here. In the UK and the US the coverage was rather poor, which means the game doesn't ring a bell for gamers who don't care for RPGs in the first place. The overall reception was also notably worse, the average score at GameRankings is even below Gothic I - hilarious. And again, there's a variety of reasons that the scores were lowers. First of all the markets and their demands are simply different. Doesn't matter if it's graphics or interface, not all markets are the same in terms of factors that appeal.

For instance, it was a major mistake not not implement mouse-driven menus - a huge minus on the US market. Also, PB simply doesn't have a name to it like let's say BioWare. Had G2 been a BW game and/or based on a famous license, you can bet that US outlets would have been more interested in covering the game earlier and more often.

Also, there simply wasn't enough marketing effort. I mean, it was a positive surprise to see the banners at Shack and VE3D, but you need to get more print ads in order to reach the 'mass'.

In addition to that, the US version of Gothic II came out like 1-2 weeks before KoTOR (PC) was released. That certainly wasn't the brightest idea imaginable. Many RPG fans simply save their cash for one title at a time - and in the case of Gothic 2 and KotOR it was No-Name vs. BioWare + Star Wars license + rave reviews of the Xbox version + tons of marketing from LucasArts.
'
Post Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:16 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next