Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Favourite RPGs, as nominated by YOU!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Your favourite? (see top post for more info)
Arcanum
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Arx Fatalis
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Baldur's Gate series*
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Deus Ex
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Divine Divinity
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Elder Scrolls series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind)*
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Fallout series*
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
Final Fantasy series*
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Gothic series*
31%
 31%  [ 50 ]
Icewind Dale series*
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Lands of Lore series*
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Might and Magic series*
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Neverwinter Nights
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Planescape: Torment
15%
 15%  [ 24 ]
Shadowcaster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
System Shock series*
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Ultima series*
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Ultima Underworld series*
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Wizardry series*
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
other (please specify)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 160

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes indeed! I guess if you've played UUW1&2 you have no issues with playing old DOS games. In terms of control method, SS1 is pretty much the same as UUW (bit more complex, you can lean, crawl, etc. and you can use the number keypad if you prefer it to the WSAD keys). You really need to get the CD version and make sure you can get it running with CD sound (speech). And if you can get both SS1 and 2 and play them in order, you'll find the experience to be more than the sum of its parts (the two tie together surprisingly well).

Oh yeah... for System Shock 2, get the "Rebirth" mod for much-improved character graphics, and install the official patch to fix some game balance "mistakes" in the initial release (it was too harsh in terms of monster respawn and weapon wear & tear).

If you're looking for SS1, try this page (but remember to go for CD, not floppy disk!):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/will_trade/gameId,681/

Last edited by piln on Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:38 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Some more related links:

TTLG's FAQ on running SS1 in WinXP/2000:
------------------------------------------------
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=69578

(If you're running Win95/98 and have DOS drivers for sound, mouse and CD, you should have no problem running it in DOS mode)

SS2 Rebirth homepage:
--------------------------
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm

System Shock page on Underdogs:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1114

SS2 page on Underdogs:
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=System+Shock+2

Another source to buy System Shock from:
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.rochnet.net/acatalog/Home_Page_Action___RPG_Adventures_N_Z_139.html
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:07 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Sweeeeeet. Thanks for the links PILN.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:14 am
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

im hurt why aint spellforce here?
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:43 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

@kengo, don't mention it

@rydjord, lol, sorry man, the poll was constructed before Spellforce existed, but I was wondering if I could update it to keep it current. Don't know if it's possible, what would happen to users' exisiting votes, etc. Maybe it would be an idea to wipe the votes, revise the list, and start afresh every New Year.

I wanted to record the end-of-year results at the beginning of 2004 too, but I forgot

Anyone know what kind of things I should/can do to keep the poll up-to-date? Ideas, suggestions, what is/isn't possible when editing a poll?
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:08 pm
Enki
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This was tough! Too many great games/series on that list.

I love Morrowind. I agree with the critics on most it's negative aspects so it's far from perfect. But the music, architecture, rich history and non-linearity all combine to make a believable fantasy world I'm drawn into, time and again. But I never played Arena or Daggerfall so I didn't vote for it.

Wizardry 8 is the only game in the series I've played so couldn't vote for it. Still, it's fun (something most RPGs lack), challenging (something most RPGs lack), and has a great skills system (something, blah, blah, blah) and will definitely make my top 5 list!

Icewind Dale - great tactical battles, awesome music, beautiful graphics - but lacking some Role Playing elements and dynamic party NPCs.

Planescape - great Role Playing and very original - but lacking in the battle department, and a bit too much text. But to be honest I never finished it.

Fallout - some of the best RPGs of all time, but interface & movement feels "clunky" even by late 90's standards and it was possible to get to the end of the main quest and not even see most of the sidequests before you could even get into the game. Fallout 2 was an improvement, but never even got halfway through it.

So my vote goes to Baldur's Gate. RPG perfection. They made a great first game and then made a sequel that was prettier, longer, more immersive and more challenging. This was the first RPG for me that felt truly EPIC and the only one I get the urge to replay (but at 80+ hours, I may wait before playing a 3rd time!). These two + the expansion packs are what RPGs are all about!

I also have to give a nod to some great console RPGS:

Final Fantasy VI & VII (PS)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS)
Chrono Cross (PS)
Phantasy Star (SMS - my first RPG, back in 1987!) & Phantasy Star IV (GEN)
Skies Of Arcadia (DC)
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:48 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

My pick is the Baldur's Gate series. Great story and gameplay.
Next would be IWD, superb soundtrack, followed by Planescape.
Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:51 am
Grolav
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I voted for Fallout. Both 1 & 2 are great, but if I have to put one over the other, I'd say 1. Better story, simply put.

Other games on the list I realy liked was:

Planescape: Torment, a gem. And the game that made me the "roleplayer" I am today, the Baldur's Gate series. I also like the first Icewind Dale game (with add-on) the ending...wow, that was cool. It made me jump in my seat.
David Ogden Stiers is the greatest Narrator ever!
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:42 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Not surprising that Gothic is leading the pack, since rpgdot seems to be the unofficial #1 gothic fan forum... and in fact, its the reason I came here in the first place. So I guess I'll give it my vote.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:14 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by piln
Anyone know what kind of things I should/can do to keep the poll up-to-date? Ideas, suggestions, what is/isn't possible when editing a poll?

A little suggestion -> Kick out title that have amassed little to no votes and kick in new ones. I wouldn't mind to see Geneforge, Avernum ...
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:24 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
A little suggestion -> Kick out title that have amassed little to no votes and kick in new ones. I wouldn't mind to see Geneforge, Avernum ...

Yeah, that's a good idea. Hate to say it, but I think Deus Ex should be given the heave-ho, and those titles you mentioned have been discussed a lot around these boards; they seem to be well-respected. On the whole though, I'm quite glad almost everything got at least 1 vote.

Don't think I can edit the poll myself... but I've given it a bit of thought and I think it would be better to just start a new poll thread each year. We could use this thread to gather nominations for next year's poll, then get the mods to lock it. That means the voting would start from scratch, but it also means people are free to change their votes if their old favourite is superseded.

Anyway... the results are quite interesting. After 100 votes Gothic is a clear winner here, PS:T a distant second, BG & TES in joint third. To compare it to the RPGDot Top100 (based on review scores, as opposed to single votes for "all-time favourite"), BG2, PS:T and Fallout are a close top 3, and Gothic placed 68th!
Post Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:04 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Some interesting games on the list.

For me it's either ulitma underworld series, or might and magic.

I've just about gone for underworld series, simply because underworld 2 remains the best game I have played by a long way.

However the overall might and magic series has provided me with more enjoyment than any other, so it is pretty close.

I would have

1. Underworld 2
2. MAM 6
3. MAM 7
4. MAM8
5. Ultima underworld
6. MAM9
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:08 pm
Rydjord
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I know tis is not an rpg but it has some elements.
anyway i think that the thief series is about some of the best games i ever played
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:19 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

quote:
Originally posted by piln
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona

Yeah, that's a good idea. Hate to say it, but I think Deus Ex should be given the heave-ho, and those titles you mentioned have been discussed a lot around these boards; they seem to be well-respected. On the whole though, I'm quite glad almost everything got at least 1 vote.

Don't think I can edit the poll myself... but I've given it a bit of thought and I think it would be better to just start a new poll thread each year. We could use this thread to gather nominations for next year's poll, then get the mods to lock it. That means the voting would start from scratch, but it also means people are free to change their votes if their old favourite is superseded.

Anyway... the results are quite interesting. After 100 votes Gothic is a clear winner here, PS:T a distant second, BG & TES in joint third. To compare it to the RPGDot Top100 (based on review scores, as opposed to single votes for "all-time favourite"), BG2, PS:T and Fallout are a close top 3, and Gothic placed 68th!

How about editing every several months?
As compared to the results of this poll to those of the top 100, I say they are beyond comparison - 1st, in the chart a person can vote with a differentiating score, also a person can vote several times and for more than one game (one can especially vote several times for one game for sure), there are more options -> more than a 100 games, and not all of them are RPG, as not all games in the RPGDot database are RPG, and there individual games are voted for, not whole series, and that answers why Gothic 1 got on place 57.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:48 pm
Wysardry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just an update on my previous post: I have now played Morrowind for several hours, and despite not liking some of the changes made since Daggerfall, I still believe it is a cut above most modern alternatives.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next