Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What do you guys think will be the next great mmorpg....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Bloated_Possum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What do you guys think will be the next great mmorpg....

I've never bought or participated in a mmorpg but I'm definitely going to get one of the new ones that comes out. I'm just tired of single player. I want a world and people that change while I'm not there...just like the real world.

To me Horizons is looking really good and really interesting. I'm not big on PVP so it should be right up my alley. I like the cooperative aspect of it. I hope it turns out as good as it looks like it will. It's "supposed" to be out this fall. After that, World of Warcraft is looking good for 2004.

What do you guys think?
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:50 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

world of warcraft im keeping in my sights!!! looks awesome ... plus blizzard has never really made a bad quality game ... although diablo is far from a rpg!
but yeah looks wicked ... same with warhammer online, darkfall, realms of torment, lineage 2 & horizons.

my bank account is gonna be dry if they keep up this way.
from upgrades to accounts, sheesh!

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:59 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

You're new to the genre, so please, please listen carefully. Don't anticipate any game. I suggest you try one that is currently out and that has some age to it for starters. Why? Because that way you'll get a true taste of what the genre can do, instead of getting burned by a new title that ships too early.

These games give a 30 day trial period, why not take advantage of that? Pick up a box of any one of the titles that some people here can suggest, and try it out to see if you like it. Play to your heart's content, and enjoy a game that has proven itself. Then, when you think that you've experienced enough and that the genre fits in with your taste, try one of the new ones. But do not wait for a new title to come out. And don'T worry, Horizon will probably be delayed, so you still have plenty of time to try something else before. And when it does come out, you would still do well to wait a couple of months before joining it.

New MMORPGs have a nasty tendency to be buggy and incomplete for a few months. Players new to the genre are often frustrated by that (and rightly so) and they usually don't quite expect the level of frustration involved even when they were warned about it first! So do yourself a favour and get started with something established. You'll eventually become more familiar with what an MMORPG is, and maybe you'll build yourself a nice carapace that will help you get into new games earlier.

Here are a few games you could try:
DAoC
Anarchy Online
Asheron's Call 1 or 2
Everquest
Ultima Online

Others may suggest more games. But please don'T wait for anything new... Might as well not try the genre at all!
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:26 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

sorry jumped the gun ...
ekim has alot of valid points ... when i jumped into ac2 i had only played everquest for a month and ac1 for 3 months ... so i was "ok" and kind of knew what i was getting into ... the newly born ac2 had many bugs and needed alot of work ... resulting in servers constantly being down and not getting much play time for my buck ... now ac2 has worked out most its bugs and is a really good game to play ... great community lots of new additions... theres even a good trial if you want to try it...

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:44 am
Zamolxis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I tried many mmorpgs till now and I'm convinced there will be a long time before someone we'll make a mmorpg that is as good as what they advertised. When you read about the plans all the new stuff that developers have in plan for their future mmorpgs you get your expectations really high, just to be dissapointed when you see that they didn't implement even half of what they said and even that part is buggy (hint : look at some of the new mmorpgs like eve-online, swg).

So yeah, as Ekim said, just try a mmorpg that is already out for about 6 months.

Keep in mind that for some of the newest mmorpgs like Asheron's Call 2 and Star Wars Galaxies you need powerfull computers to enjoy all the beautiful graphics.

For future mmorpgs, I think World of Warcraft is kind of on my going to try out the beta list.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:18 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
You're new to the genre, so please, please listen carefully. Don't anticipate any game. Others may suggest more games. But please don'T wait for anything new... Might as well not try the genre at all!

Ekim is mostly right, but hmm i would have to disagree just a little, there are plenty of games that i look forward to. HOWEVER, i no longer get "unduly emotionally attached and looking forward with high anticipation" to any game, after my experiences with mmorpgs. The only time i actually get hyped over a game nowadays is when the package arrives at the door and i am about to start playing it. I look forward to games because they are fun, but its best to stay safe and not get "unduly emotionally attached and looking forward with high anticipation" over any game, or anything for that matter unless it is a very good looking woman...

Just dont get all excited over any game unless its on your doorstep.

EDIT -- forgot to mention (as though it matters, heh), the mmorpgs i look forward to with constrained anticipation are Dragon Empires, Horizons, Everquest2, and Darkfall online. The rest of them i dont care much about.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:24 am
Bloated_Possum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's why I love this forum. I hadn't looked at it like that. You guys make some GREAT points and I think I'll take your advice. I have a nice, powerful computer so I think I will download the AC2 trial and check it out since I am kind of a "graphics whore". If I like what I see, I'll buy it and sign up. Star Wars does absolutely nothing for me so I'll probably steer away from SWG. Thanks tons for the suggestions guys.

Oh yeah, from Ammon "the mmorpgs i look forward to with constrained anticipation"............ I fell out of my chair laughing at that one....

cheers.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:45 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Bloated_Possum
I have a nice, powerful computer so I think I will download the AC2 trial and check it out since I am kind of a "graphics whore".

I would suggest Anarchy Online before AC2, unless sci-fi setting turns you off.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:13 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
I would suggest Anarchy Online before AC2, unless sci-fi setting turns you off.

I agree. You have a better chance of having a smooth ride today with AO than AC2, and I'm not only talking about technical aspects here.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:05 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I've played almost all of them out there. (fantisy, no sci-fi's) and they each brought something interesting and unique to the table. EQ and UO still hold a sense of nisgalga (spellcheck) and DAoC is a solid game (current favorite), with many good features. I'm still waiting on my perfect MMORPG. I am hopeful of Darkfall, but will probably be stricken with greifers.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:46 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well there will be griefers in any game. The thing i like about it [Darkfall] is the excitement you get when you fight another player. The other thing i will enjoy is the opportunity to join any township (or empire) that i want, or create my own, and defend our land against those grieving sobs alongside my comraides. As strange as it sounds, thats what i like most about PvP, the bonds you have with other players when you try to defeat your enemies. Land ownership rocks. It gives the game meaning. If my clan owns a land and regularly patrols it, i know i will be safe in that land most of the time, and when a pack of player barbarians (griefers/outlaws/soldiers) attack, i will hopefully alert my brothers and we can defend our lands. That stuff ROCKs.

Sorry about that being totally off the topic. heh.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:19 pm
RedTiger
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
unduly emotionally attached and looking forward with high anticipation" over any game, or anything for that matter unless it is a very good looking woman...

Just dont get all excited over any game unless its on your doorstep.

Amen to that Ammon! I'm looking forward to trying most of the games mentioned in a cool-emotionally-detached-sort of way. My radar is however leaning towards Horizons(dragons), UXO (nostalgia), Dragon Empires(curiosity), and WoW(just because).
Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:29 pm
Ligi
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just follow Ekim advices, his firts post really hit the nail.

If you want a sugestion from someone who plays mmrpgs for more then 4 years, here goes what I think its the best solution for you :

Buy the Everquest package that includes all expansions, its called "everquest:evolution" , then create a character on the newbie server called "Stromm".

The advantage of my sugestion is that you will play a refined game and at the same time you wont feel an outsider because that server had a fresh start a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Ligi on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:56 am
hollaholla
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
Just follow Ekim advices, his firts post really hit the nail.

If you want a sugestion from someone who plays mmrpgs for more then 4 years, here goes what I think its the best solution for you :

Buy the Everquest package that includes all expansions, its called "everquest:evolution" , then create a character on the newbie server called "Storhammer".

The advantage of my sugestion is that you will play a refined game and at the same time you wont feel an outsider because that server had a fresh start a couple of months ago.

On that last note...I joined EQ for my PS2 late in the game...its was fun but not really that sweet..I guess one of the reasons that I am hoping for Horizons is so that when I log on for the first time I will be a newbie with everyone else and it will better my experience - so i am holding out for that one, although i guess you could apply the same for UXO since it will be a new world too- that just will be up to you if you want PvE or PvP
Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:39 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I hear EQ has a new server, that would be cool. But yeah the games like Horizons, DE, DF and EQII will be sweet because we'll all be newbies. Just hope I can log in soon enough after launch to get one of my preferred names.
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next