Demo Problem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Demo Problem

I posted in the tech support forum several days ago, but have had no reply. I can't get the demo to go past the opening cinematics. It just freezes my system on a black screen and I have to re-boot. I'm using Win ME, with an AMD 1.4, 512 RAM, ASUS G4 and a 60 gig HD and SB 128. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:14 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Check the usual suspects. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and video card.

Consider ditching ME for XP.

When I first ran the demo, the video didn't play until I raised the resolution. It dodn't lock up, though.
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:38 am
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hey, i had exactly the same problem, exactly.

First off try uninstalling and then re-installing the demo, this may help, it helped me a bit.

Okay, if that doesn't work (mine didn't but it helped) try lowering the sound acceleration in dxdiag, then try manual virtual memory management(worked 4 me).

Finally, disable AA, as when i had this enabled it wouldn't load properly.

Thats all i can really tell u, tell me how it goes as i may be able to help further but the demo is a good taster of the finished product so i wish u luck
Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:16 pm
corwin

Thanks, I'll try those and get back to you.

Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:55 pm
toomy_xp
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When I first installed G2, there were no problems, but my Brother started to use NetMeeting and G2 died after the intromovie. When I run dxdiag it indicdates that 3D hardware acceleration may not work untill Netmeeting is running, If I close Netmeeting then G2 starts normally.
So, If You use Netmeeting then colse it before You start G2. And of course an installed Directx 8.1 is not bad.

Toomy
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:17 am
corwin

I don't actually use netmeeting, unless it loads somewhere in the background at startup. However, by maxing out all the video options, changing to 32 bit from 16 and fiddling with the sound options (I'm not totally sure what I did, cause I don't understand German) I finally got the sucker to work!! Word to the Developers, there must be a bug in the code here somewhere that needs to be addressed; hope you guys find it, cause this game looks even more awesome than the original. Note to marketing, here in Australia, EB has no record on the game. They didn't release the original here (I had to order it from OS) and by the looks of it, they won't be getting Gothic2. Could someone check this out please; This is a MUST buy game!!

Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:19 am