Shoplifting
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Three questions about Shoplifting.

First, does the Charm spell have any impact on success of shoplifting?

Second, does it alter your chances to shoplift something after you have just shoplifted something?

Third, upon a successful shoplift, does the NPC you steal from ever find out about it? (Apart from if you try to sell an expensive item back to him of course...)

"Hmm...I like this piece...which is why I owned it to begin with! You stole this from me!" -Antone Rapax

Hehe. I've been experimenting with shoplifting from people I don't like.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Depends a lot on whether you're patched. The latest patch really put a lid on pickpocket/shoplift. Anyway,

1) I think charm will help with how badly you get in trouble if you get caught, but not certain

2) With the patch, it gets harder to steal from the same person repeatedly. The penalty grows the more you steal. This is also linked to time, so waiting a month before robbing someone blind AGAIN will help.

3) Directly, no. But stores take notice of who has been around when things go missing. See above.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:26 pm
Fwang Thunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think the patch was a Sir-Tech mistake. They shouldn't have completely kyboshed pickpocket like they did. Now people seem to have zero interest in boosting that skill. That can't be what they intended.

Luckily, with the obscene cash your alchemists can make for you there is no need for shoplifting...but pickpocket would still be fun.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Agreed. I never use pickpocket so it didn't matter to me, but Sir-Tech went a little too far. PP was WAY overpowered pre-patch and is now WAY underpowered.
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:08 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think I figured out that it's easier to steal things when there are a lot of them in stock. For example, in theory it's easier to steal one from "Resurrection Powder(25)" than it is to steal an item that the shopkeeper only has one of. On top of that, I'm pretty sure value of the item has some basis on the success of stealing.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:46 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yes to both. Linda Currie told us some of the "secret" details about pickpocket when the patch came out. In order to explain what was changed, she had to give details about how it was before the change as well as what was new.
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:24 am