Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Should I pick up European English version or wait for US?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
darth
Village Leader
Village Leader

I don't get the animosity toward Atari here, maybe it's just me, but I would see what Atari is doing with Gothic a good thing? I mean they are bringing it over to the US/Canada so that more people will enjoy this great game...

Also who the hell cares about what they do with the logos? Its not like you sit there watching game company logos for three hours on your dinner break? Plus Atari's logo is nice.

As for the guy that e-mailed them its clear in the Atari employee's response that they don't know what the details are since they are not in the correct department and he apologizes for it when he doesn't even have to, so I don't see how calling them clueless morons has any bearing here. If somone doesn't play Gothic he obviously doesn't follow the websites and overseas news regarding an addon or any other info.

And finally Atari does have an entry on their website for Gothic II, you don't have to search for it but even if you do it does come up. Here's the link for you:

http://www.us.atari.com/games/gothic2_pc_action/

PS - I don't work for Atari but it just amazes me to see so much animosity toward them when we should be praising them for their efforts to bring the Gothic series in North America.

PSS - Notice how Gothic II is listed as an "Action" game? Thats because Atari's website doesn't have an "RPG" Category so in case you were planning to bash them on that too, think about it
Post Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:35 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Well basically Atari = Infogrames. They decided that their old name sounded silly so they bought the trademark of the "Atari" name since THAT company has been dead for years.

So just to be clear, Atari of 2003 has NOTHING (0%) to do with Atari of 1970's who was part of the home video game revolution.

Anyways, why are people hostile to Infogrames/Atari? I dont have the exact details but from what I;ve heard they've screwed up a great number of games, screwed some developers too, rushed some games out so they sucked, etc. etc. Dunno, but a lot of games hate Infogrames. Personally I wish Gothic2 was picked up by a different publisher than Atari, then it might have gotten to USA faster
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:15 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

This post is in response to the original "subject" question:

As far as the actual gameplay is concerned --I've read in other threads that the only difference between the US and English versions might be the editing. The US version might have less profanity and/or sexual references than the English version. Which should you buy? Personally, I think the English version is your best bet. I think eliminating some of the profanity or sexual references would take away from the humor and originality of the game. It's not really a whole lot of content to edit, but it's worth having. I would suggest buying the English version now. You should play it through once or twice, joining a different guild each time, then buy the addon and play through again, this time as a member of the guild you haven't played as yet. That is what I plan on doing...
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:36 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

gonna finish the addon probably again so many as many there are guilds probably 4 times cos there are 4 camps total
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:50 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

There are 4 camps? I only know of 3... Magicians, Mercenaries, and Paladins... What else is there?
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:37 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by konny666
Anyways, why are people hostile to Infogrames/Atari? I dont have the exact details but from what I;ve heard they've screwed up a great number of games, screwed some developers too, rushed some games out so they sucked, etc. etc. Dunno, but a lot of games hate Infogrames. Personally I wish Gothic2 was picked up by a different publisher than Atari, then it might have gotten to USA faster

Judging from how Atari handled Neverwinter Nights and the Shadows of Undrentide expansion, the US release of Gothic II will:

(a) Come in piddly little paper sleeves

(b) Feature a horrific copy protection scheme that hogs system resources and also prevents the game from working on a small percentage of CD drives, thus alienating everyone EXCEPT those who pirate it.

Oh, and if you're really lucky they'll censor the $%@& out of it, neutering the artists' original vision, free of charge.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:50 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

thats no good at all then

Yup SirDeity they told somewhere that one guild is coming more in addon was it water mages or something else
Post Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:37 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2