Developer thread: "Differences between Gothic I and II&
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Here is my questions:

1) On my knowledge there is three class in Gothic 2; mage, paladin, and dragonslayer. So there would be no thief class, and all the class above have thieving abilities or use lock picks, right?

2) How far would be in term of interactivity with objects in the game world?, for examples could we pick up chairs or rocks and throw its at NPCs or enemies?, or could we set objects/NPCs on fire? (i think that would be cool ).

Thanks in advance
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:58 pm
Gor Na Katarn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Would the hero have any sort of "relations" with members of the oposite gender?
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:17 pm
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Controls

Gothic 1 would have been an awesome game, but the controls, and the lack of configuring them drove me crazy til I gave up.

Fighting, buying/selling was simply abhorrored. I couldn't understand why you chose the interace you did, when years and years of games have gone by (quake and quake hybrids, various other first person shooters) and you chose to do keyboard only?!

A.I. has this been improved any? There were ALOT of exploits that could be worked out by wielding a weapon around NPC's and they would move away from their post and stay where ever you "lead" them.

Ak
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:25 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Man!!! I hear about the controls many bad things - "there are irritating, the game is unplayable". The controls are easy!!!! There is no problem with them, just get used up!!!!!

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:24 pm
Shadowbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Same here.I loved gothic 1 controls.I think its result of the bs said by the game magazines,etc.Whatever, i heard they are changing the controls, its for me really bad news.What kind of changes are that? If the changes are so big, i think a good idea is giving an option to get the gothic 1 contols also.Many people loved it too.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:41 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The controls will be configurable in GII. So if you want to recreate the GI controls it should be possible...
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:47 pm
Akhilles
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am not passing on hype from magazines about the controls. *I* purchased the game before reading any reviews. *I* played the game and was displeased with the controls.

Oh yes, the game used the mouse.. to turn the camera around the player character... that's about 2% control of the player character.

The controls were easy for someone that would tolerate them. I am used to either using a mouse or being able to configure the controls the way *I* want to play. That's hardly a difficult concept for a software developer.

What programmer doesn't want begin/end color coded matching, or code completion for classes and objects? Or be able to dock/undock windows in their development IDE?
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:14 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well m8 if i first buyed this game and installed the game and started to play it then i just was not used to those controls but after 1 h m8 i learned them and realised that its even easyer to play with those controls games.so imo the CONTROLS MUST STAY IN GOTHIC II also.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:20 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

User Interface

You had to know this question was coming... but I gotta ask it. Will Gothic 2 have a more intuitive user interface? Will it be easier to learn? Will it be easier to use? Will it be more efficient? Will it be more customizable? Will it take advantage of a two-button mouse and a mouse wheel?

Gothic I was a great game. But if it wasn't for a lot of reviews that warned me in advance that the user interface was hard to learn, but worthwhile to learn because Gothic I had some great gameplay, I probably would have givven up and returned Gothic I within my first play session because, to put it mildly, the UI was really horrible.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:28 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Some more technically facts about the controls...
The logical game keys can be assigned by the user to:
- keyboard keys
- mouse buttons (eight) and the wheel
- joystick/gamepad buttons (thirty-two), POV (eight directions), and direction/throttle/rudder (as toggle, not quantized)

General interface:
- one action is assigned to one key
Fight mode:
- 'Action' starts aiming and enables hit controls
- choose kind of attack / block with direction keys

Generally speaking it's easier to use <sigh>.

- nico

edit/ps: there will be NO arrow-like cursor in Gothic II - because cursors are evil (in Gothic =)
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:10 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Will there be any aternate means of getting around when travellig long distances other than running or drinking a potion and running really fast lol. Like train an adult scavenger or something?

Will you take more advantage of the world? Gothic had a few hidden areas to explore and find treasures, but underwater was never used, which would have been a great place to find a cave with some goodies.

Please don't change the controls, or at least let me set it up like Gothic(which if I understand correctly I can) I loved to play keyboard only, and even set up other games this way when possible:)

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:25 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Please stay on topic, folks!

This thread is meant for asking questions to Piranha Bytes, NOT for discussions. If you want to discuss then do this in another thread or via PM.

Thanks.
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:39 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

How many dragons will be in the game - three, four or five? So far there have been conflicting numbers...
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:10 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
How many dragons will be in the game - three, four or five? So far there have been conflicting numbers...

3?, 4?, 5?...Man i'm confused.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:21 am
rand001
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

To start off, Gothic 1 was a superb piece of work. Prolly one of the most entertaining titles ive played in quite awhile. Some of my friends and I would get together and just talk about all the fun things we had done in the game with its multiple variations

now to my questions, the only thing that made me frustrated at all in gothic 1 was that i couldnt be left handed!!! Almost no games (recent) implement a feature to change your main weapon hand. We lefties need our show too Is there any hope in gothic 2?
*crosses his fingers on his left hand *
Post Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:42 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next