Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Will Gothic 2 Really Be Better Than Gothic 1?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
some psycho
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Will Gothic 2 Really Be Better Than Gothic 1?

Will gothic 2 be able to beat part one? Im not sure if it will because because gothic was a very cool game and i think will be hard to surpass? Anyone? agree wit me? And if you think Gothic 2 will be better, y do you think that?
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:38 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

No point...

No point in worrying about it... worrying about it will have no impact on whether or not you end up thinking G2 is as good as or better than G1.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:24 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'll state my opinion after playing Gothic 2.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:50 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

There will be less cities in GII, but I thing it will be better. Let's wait until it will be realesed. I HATE WAITING

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:07 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

Who's to say? Gothic II will be as good as you make it, just like life is
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:44 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

It's not a good example Some people make life good, but at the end it gets worse than in the begining.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:50 pm
RobKob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Will Gothic 2 Really Be Better Than Gothic 1?

Well, I am asking myself this question too, because some things I liked very much in Gothic will be missing in its sequel.

First: The unique, interesting and bleak setting. Gothic II's environment seems to be a fairly generic typical fantasy world.

Second: The realistic landscape, especially in terms of distances and size. I mean, that the actual and the supposed size of the world are one and the same, which is very uncommon. Take Morowind for example, which features a 10 sqm isle pretending to be a continent. Of course you have to scale things down if you want to create entire continents or even worlds. There are only very few settings which allow for true distances like the relatively small and sealed Colony. Then you have the size of the settlements. Again in Gothic they are as big as they are supposed to be, and the number of NPCs in the Colony is realistic. Yet again this is only possible because of Gothics unique setting which has only village-sized settlements. Now, while there is nothing that prevents GII from having a realistic countryside, there is no way that the city of Khorinis is realistic. I suspect it would barely pass for a village IRL. I don't blame PB because creating a real city whith thousands of buildings and tens of thousands of people seems ...err a bit difficult to do, and such a city would be way to big to be enjoyable.
Well, what I want to say is that I liked the fact that in Gothic I didn't have to suspend my disbelief like I had to do in Morrowind ( Balmora, second biggest city, 30-odd houses ), Dungeon Siege ( Stonebridge, 12 houses ), Arx Fatalis, Arcanum, BG ( all ), Fallout II ( part one was realistic ) and so on.

Of course all this is countered by a lot of improvements in GII. The graphics look truly great ( though there still seem to be fake stairs ), the NPCs are even more realistic and the AI is even more improved. There will be seamless transition between exterior and interior everywhere, no seperate dungeon levels anymore. So although the world is thrice as big ( 25 sqkm = 10 sqm = size of Morrowind world ) it will be less divided ( only Old World = Colony and New World ). There will be a longer plot, more sidequests, more faction-related quests, more replay-value, more spells and so on.

Conclusion: All in all I am fairly sure that Gothic II will be better than its predecessor and even Morrowind, although it will lose some of its uniqueness.

P.S. Hello Forums
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:13 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Good points.
In real life you wouldn't call three dozen buildings a city. An 'real' city would occupy the whole world. So, in association with the game's world you can call it a city. However, the city feels quite 'big' in the game.

- nico
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:16 pm
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

i think gothic 2 will be better and i don't understand why ppl are already saying that gothic 2 isnt unique and is another bad sequal. everything we know about it so far are good things so i think we should stop worrying about it and see how it is when it comes out.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:58 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

time had shown that sequels that should be a revolution and should be better than the first game, and they become worse. HoMM 4 and Might and Magic 9 for an example. GII pretends to be great, so everyone things that it won't be THAT good.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:13 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

I think Gothic 2 will be great. Definitely better. Most of the people who had qualms with Gothic didn't like the control interphase. But once you got through that (if you ever did) everything was great.

Well, Gothic 2 will be the culmination of everyone's complaints on the controls corrected. So that's one huge barrier lifted (punt punt).

Landscapewise, Gothic is still in there. Gothic 2's map is mondo huge and includes the old Gothic land area in it... with some minor differences because of the earthquake. (Oh, of course the mines are gone... completely collapsed I guess.)

Games become worse when they become too different from the original... and most of the new things aren't improvements. Gothic 2 is employing a lot of Gothic concepts, from graphics to having 3 factions (because it worked well in Gothic.)

I think for Gothic fans, it will be a confortable re-union, while for newbies it won't be so hard to get used to this time.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:04 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I think in terms of user interfaces & control setup Gothic 2 would be better than Gothic, since it is improved version from previous one.

Same things as graphic and sound; with optimization based on previous game or experiences, they would mostly likely get better.

The setting or the game world maybe won't be fresh or original anymore, since Gothic's fans already familiar with them in Gothic.

However, we better judge Gothic after the game is release.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:58 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Judging by the pictures, the ppl modles are going to be the same as well as the textures....
and probably the sound, lol!
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:04 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Erb Duchenne

Landscapewise, Gothic is still in there. Gothic 2's map is mondo huge and includes the old Gothic land area in it... with some minor differences because of the earthquake. (Oh, of course the mines are gone... completely collapsed I guess.)

The not-so-free mine didn't collapse! Maybe the earthquake has damaged the undergroud part, but the on ground part should be almoust undamaged and ready for mining.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:18 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

*sigh*
I guess we wont know until the game is released...
DANGIT!!!
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:36 am