The Alternative!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Wings of Wrath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The Alternative!

I have just come back to playing this classic RPG, and I am currently trying to develop "alternative" ways of getting things done early in the game to supplement a lack of weapons/ore/skill.... Maybe even finish the game using trickery...

For example, eventhough I'm only level 3, I allready managed getting my hands on a guard sword and crossbow by going to the Old mine and tossing the guy guarding his chest against diggers (can't remember his name...something with an "A") into the mine with the "Fist of Wind", and then looting his body and chest (and afterwards the digger that sold me the key, to get my 30 ore back.. hey, I'm a cheap bastard)

There is also a nice way of getting into the island bar and getting rid of the Dam Lurker at the same time: You go to the DaL site on the on the far side of the lake in the New Camp, and as soon as the Lurker charges you, you jump into the water (the lurker cannot hurt you if you stay on the surface) and swim to the bar entrance.. there you need to get out of the water, and convince the Lurker with an arrow to follow you in front of the bouncers. one of them will flee and the other one will try and fight the beast, leaving the entrance unguarded... so you can just get in and talk Ball Inros into giving you all his weed...
Not to mention that the fight with the bouncers (3 out of 4 times the Lurker will win) has left the Lurker with very little life, and can now be killed by arrows, so you can get the XP for killing it after all.... however, the dead bouncers re-spawn (probably a bug) so after you have killed the Lurker you need to wait to become a member of the new camp in order to get in again...
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:41 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

you can also get 2 light crossbows and a guards sword and i think a jugdement sword if you lure the orc dogs behind the north gate to orc land to the two guards there
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:22 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: The Alternative!

quote:
Originally posted by Wings of Wrath

There is also a nice way of getting into the island bar and getting rid of the Dam Lurker at the same time: You go to the DaL site on the on the far side of the lake in the New Camp, and as soon as the Lurker charges you, you jump into the water (the lurker cannot hurt you if you stay on the surface) and swim to the bar entrance.. there you need to get out of the water, and convince the Lurker with an arrow to follow you in front of the bouncers. one of them will flee and the other one will try and fight the beast, leaving the entrance unguarded... so you can just get in and talk Ball Inros into giving you all his weed...
Not to mention that the fight with the bouncers (3 out of 4 times the Lurker will win) has left the Lurker with very little life, and can now be killed by arrows, so you can get the XP for killing it after all.... however, the dead bouncers re-spawn (probably a bug) so after you have killed the Lurker you need to wait to become a member of the new camp in order to get in again...

You can also get the scrapers armor from someone in the free-mine, then you can get into the bar for free.
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:19 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

LOL! This reminds me of playing the demo for the first time, when i had done all the quests i started to kill everybody one by one. first i used a bow to kill the 2 guards at the ore exchange place, then i used their crossbows to kill a medium guard, and used his weapon to kill a heavy guard, and so on. Im the end only the invincible persons such as gomez were still alive
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:45 pm
Wings of Wrath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, in the meantime, I managed to get half a dozen Orcs (the orc warrior from the top of the mountain, the 3 warriors that were by the North Gate and 2 orc hunters) into the Old Camp.....

Oh, by the way... do I need the guy that sits by the South Gate and tells me "this is the way to the Orcland" for anything? (I think his name was Pablo or something... I'm not good with names ) Because I think he kinda got mangled in the ensuing mayhem.... So did Jackal, 3 Diggers, 4guards, and some Shadows....
Post Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:52 pm
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Wings of Wrath

Oh, by the way... do I need the guy that sits by the South Gate and tells me "this is the way to the Orcland" for anything? (I think his name was Pablo or something...

No
Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:52 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

At the island bar, castle etc., you can strafe to enter or draw your sword and just run in, then stow your weapon.....no need for all the luring.

The orc dogs can be killed by YOU at a very low level if you have a bow and a ton of arrows. Enter the orcland gate thru the two guards, and follow along the right wall til it ends. You can jump up on top if the rock there...practice it a few times, then lure the dogs to you, but go farther up the rock. The dogs will go to the side and you can fire down on them with arrows. The same works for the Orcs, but they are more likely to jump up on the rock with you if you let them too close before you jump up there You will find MANY places a tactic like this will work. Like go past Pablo and lure the dogs.....on the left there are several "steps" you can fire from and they can't reach you. Another is on the island with the lizards....and there are many more throughout the game.

The strafe or drawings your weapon to enter a forbidden place is a "cheat" to me, but using the landscape to best advantage is just being smart

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:29 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Wings of Wrath- The guard you knocked into the pit was named Aaron.
Oh, and the guy you get the Scraper's Trousers from is Swiney, and he's in the Free Mine. The Scraper's Trousers will grant you free entrance to the island bar. Also, Pablo is not necessary, but Jackal has a minor part, though he is not crucial.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:31 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Uriziel hehe very good ones, i used them too ^^. The one u used to kill the orcs and wargs is really cool and i used it even when i became a merc. But the orcs can come up if they make a good jump, so i was hacking them in the heads every time they climbed up to my position, i found found that in fact pretty realistic
by the way you can use this trick very well on the golems at xardas tower too
Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:28 am
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you join the new camp when you get to level 10 regardless as to which chapter you are lee will let you join up with the mercs, this means thet you can wear better armour and train in 2h weapons if you like, the next thing you need to do is go into the caves were you find chromanin, finish the quest and you get 2 transform into blood flys scrolls, once you heve these you can go into the orc town and get revenge steel, it does 92 DMG, all of this is possible in the first chapter, once this is done go and kill some minecrawler scum.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:36 am
ShadowAssas1n
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Heres 2 of the best tips you'll ever see . I did this ages ago when i played Gothic for the 2nd time, and now again while i started a new game just recently.

1) When in the Old Mine for the Minecrawler Secretion quest, the guard next to the winch (the one that opens the cave of minecrawlers, forgot the guard's name) will give you the quest to get 2-3 templars to help guard the gate before you go in. Go back to the area where there is a massive ore mound and 3 templars sitting around. Get 2 templars to go help, and leave the first one there. Now pull out your sword and attack him. If you fall down, have some food or a potion, then get back up and attack again, it may take a few turns. But in the end you get your ore back (if he stole any), and a Light Two Hander, which I still have even up to now (going to Xardas' tower). This trick also works in the Sect. Camp, just find a templar alone.

2) This is probably the best trick in the game, that i found always works and is extremely useful. When you finally get into the Water Mage's area (for the focus quests), go up to Rhiodorian and bash him, no matter what, he will not attack you. From this you get over 200 (various) healing potions. Over 200 mana potions and around 30 speed potions. Also if you are lucky you will get some strength and dexterity elixirs. Also I found that after the focus quests he had new stock, including mana elixirs and health elixirs, and an elixir of power (+ 4 to strength and dexterity). You can keep coming back to see if he's got goods, just ask him to Show you his goods in the menu. If he has anything rob him for it . This is a REALLY useful trick, i've found i haven't had any problem with recovering health or mana any more .
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:41 pm
Wings of Wrath
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

oooh.... basjhing a poor goy for potions....that's evil.....
Me gonna try it!
Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:00 pm
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I recall the fun I had doing stuff like this when I got the demo . Just like tolgerias said, nobody but the invincible folks were alive at the end-- once I discovered that guards didn't notice you if you ran past with your weapon drawn, it was all downhill from there
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:51 am