LucasArts: E3 Interview @ GameShark
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

LucasArts: E3 Interview @ GameShark

GameShark has kicked up an <a href="http://www.gameshark.com/?a=home&id=220" target="_blanK">interview</a> with LucasArts Vice President of Product Development Peter Hirschmann. It's mostly about the future of Star Wars games but there's also a few bits on the company's classic adventures.<blockquote><em>Peter Hirschmann has a great job title at LucasArts: Vice President Product Development, Astromech Research. Don't you wish you had a cool job title like that? And while Mr.Hirschmann doesn't really do astromech research to develop the next R2-D2, he does oversee video game product development for LucasArts. At E3 2005, on the very day Revenge of the Sith hit theaters, Mr Hirschmann sat down with GameShark.com to discuss the future of LucasArts.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:25 pm
Lucky Day

Pretty sad and contradictory.

He's hyping up Star Wars and yet they were given a mandate by George to create original IP's and not Star wars. Yet when he talks about some of those great IP's they created he says their dead and need to be buried. Then he continues about Star Wars.

He also makes the claim that the game Rebel Assault is responsible for selling the CD-ROM drive. He sounds like Al Gore. Rebel Assault was a major huge seller but had impossible controls. And I guess he never heard of a liuttle game called Myst.
Post Fri May 27, 2005 2:29 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
Pretty sad and contradictory.

He's hyping up Star Wars and yet they were given a mandate by George to create original IP's and not Star wars. Yet when he talks about some of those great IP's they created he says their dead and need to be buried. Then he continues about Star Wars.

Exactly. I was wondering about that, too, and about the reports that surfaced some time ago that LucasArts was going to lay off all development teams in order to focus on pure licencing.
Although, creating new IPs does, of course, not necessarily mean that they need to self-develop games based on new IPs.
Also, maybe the problem with the classic IPs was that LucasArts could not find a developer who was interested in any such projects. Adventures (especially "classic" ones as opposed to the somewhat alive action-adventure genre) are supposedly "dead" and perhaps there was no developer willing to take the risk (plus who knows what LucasArts' licencing model/fees are... could be that several developers just said 'no thanks' when LucasArts approached them).

quote:
He also makes the claim that the game Rebel Assault is responsible for selling the CD-ROM drive. He sounds like Al Gore. Rebel Assault was a major huge seller but had impossible controls. And I guess he never heard of a liuttle game called Myst.

I can only speak for my own country (Germany) but I know for a fact that it was Rebel Assault that made CD-ROM drives popular over here .
You need to remember that owning a PC was far from normal back in the day. Only "geeks" had a PC and there was no such thing as a casual/mainstream gamer.
PCs that could run "current" (= 1994 or whenever Rebel Assault came out) games were at least 2x as expensive as nowadays.
The number of (good) games was much more limited as well so Rebel Assault was most definitely a big deal when it came out and when it was bundled with that Mitsumi CD-ROM drive, CD-ROMs took over.

Would have to agree about the poor controls though . The game had some serious built-in lag. I remember trying to fly through that damn narrow canyon over and over again until the A-Wing survived. Took quite a bit of practice but it was a fun game overall (and visually most impressive in its day).
Post Fri May 27, 2005 11:14 pm