What a vicious cycle.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

What a vicious cycle.

Slow, fast, slow, fast. Or in other terms...Nothing, lots, nothing, lots. Seems thats how this genre is treating me. I know these aren't games that are released ever other week or something, but it seems with the release of every new one this forum and the MMO community pick up quite a bit. The last one was Horizons, and it didn't make that big of a splash here, and for a good reason too, it just wasn't a very complete game. The next one to release I belive will be Lineage II, which unless I'm wrong won't make a big splash either. So that leaves us longing for me, wanting, waiting, and keeps putting me in the spin cycle. Lineage II will come out some people will talk about it, I won't buy it, and I'll be left waiting and wanting and when the talk of L2 dies down I'll be all alone desperatly looking for a new post on these boards. I'm such a loser, someone talk to me. Anyone else feel the same way, not the loser part, but the emptiness thats left by the release of a game that just isn't any good? People talk but then it quicky dies down and we wait again for something to talk about. Oh I know ...MMORPGdot start a "Name Ekim's kid" contest. Oh praise the gods, something to do.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:47 pm
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hehe, nice post! I feel your pain. I've been there more than once over the years. What I've found to do durring these slow quiet times, is find something old. Sometimes going back to an old game really hits the mark. I did this recently with Anarchy Online's latest expansion, "Shadowlands" and all I have to say is WOW! I've played every MMORPG out there, even the ones no one hears about. When I finally got tired of EQ's lame expansion of the month, and DAoC's latest "Lets turn this game into EQ" expansion, and UO didn't quite deliver, I went and tried AO's latest expansion. It has become my favorite MMORPG of all time beating out my previous favorites-UO, DAoC and AC. If this expansion had come out years ago, I wouldn't have needed any other game to play for the last 3 years

So, if you're bored and feeling let down, its time to go get charged up again. Someone out there does care, and has made something completely new and different and original and worth checking out. They'll even let you play for 7 days free to be absolutely sure

(No, I dont work for Funcom, I just think anyone who likes MMORPG's, and doesn't mind the Sci-Fi setting, would absolutely love AO:Shadowlands)

This got me out of the dumps anyway
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:42 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: What a vicious cycle.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiff
Oh I know ...MMORPGdot start a "Name Ekim's kid" contest. Oh praise the gods, something to do.

lol
Tel you what: how about a "guess Ekim's kid's gender and name" contest instead? The name's picked for either a boy or a girl, but we still don't know which it will be.

Seriously, I feel your pain too, if it is a pain We're trying to bring more and more people to these boards, and I'm afraid that it won't happen overnight. Quiet times are normal, and we just can't get around them. But people are here, I assure you!

As for the drought, I'll echo Scott's words here I think. If you've tried everything else already, try AO. We're actually working on a review for it. It should be up in a month or so. I can safely say it's become one of the better mmorpg's lately, but Funcom is still hindered by its initial reputation.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:22 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

The genre is very stale at the moment. And most players are now veterans of the genre .... and thus very critical.

This summer things will likely pick up as there are many new releases due. Hopefully one of them will be evolutionary.

Personally , I stay away from playing "old" MMROPGs when things get stale. After all, you left for a reason. Considering the time you spend when you do find a game that you like, I take the opportunity to partake in other activities outside gaming. Speaking to the g/f etc ..lol. Time to catch up on good reading too ....
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:06 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Ican
Personally , I stay away from playing "old" MMROPGs when things get stale. After all, you left for a reason. Considering the time you spend when you do find a game that you like, I take the opportunity to partake in other activities outside gaming. Speaking to the g/f etc ..lol. Time to catch up on good reading too ....

I think Scott was talking about "old" mmo's that one has never played before. As for slow times letting me see my kids and wife again, I agree thats all fine and dandy, but I'm not too much talking about a game to play now anyway, I'm talking about something to discuss on the boards. I use these boards while at work and if there is nothing to discuss I find myself forced to work. Thats never a good thing.

@Ekim if it's a girl I'm guessing you have choosen - Abigail (Abby); if it's a boy I'm guessing you have choosen - Andrew (Andy). Please don't tell me you've choosen - Vvenelda (girl) or Xantar (boy), if you have choosen name like these you need to get away from games for good.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:30 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Nah! If it's a boy it will be Aragorn, of course. And for a girl we have chosen Nimrodell!.....

hehe not really!

Guess again though. We have chosen very good names, I think. But you have to keep a few criterias in mind: we have to have names that sound good both in English and French since I am of French Canadian descent. Also, my wife and I agree that we should use names that are not very common, without sounding like geeks

Good luck!
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:57 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Im a busy person so i dont get that bored. I play single-player games until my games come out, and just chill out and try not to get as frantic, desperate, or hyped-up as i was about that stupid game called SWG.

Ive been waiting for a decent MMORPG to play ever since i quit Asherons Call way back in 2000. I tried DAOC for a while. DAOC was the only decent one. Anarchy Online was a bomb so i didnt buy that. SWG beta sucked, so i didnt buy that either.

I just feel that all the good games will be coming out in the near future (2004), and that my long wait will finally be over once i get into UXO beta which should be sometime within a few months hopefully. So my wait is actually pretty close to being over.

Here's some guesses: Vince or Vinnie for the boy's name. Katherine or Kathy for the girl's name. And i predict that your baby is not going to have very much hair, and will most likely weigh less than you do. Now, if im right, just slip me five bucks and we'll call it even.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:35 am
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Kiff wrote...

quote:
I think Scott was talking about "old" mmo's that one has never played before

That is correct

Although I did try AO fairly early on, I wasn't very impressed and gave up on it when DAoC was released. After AO put out 2 expansions and I saw awesome review scores for their latest expansion: Shadowlands, I decided to give them a second chance. I'm glad I did, I think its the best Expansion and the best MMORPG to date...and I've played them all
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:09 pm
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Here is a guess concerning all the new releases just around the corner.
The developer that actually listens to it's beta testers and actually tries to sort through all that conflicting informatin and make wise use of it, will win the minds and dollars of many many gamers.
Here is the rub........wise use............try to appease all the divergent views of all the divergent betaers will equal a game that is fubar
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:50 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I guess we all have something to talk about now Kiff Expect yesterday's news to create some discussions around here!
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:43 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yep I've already posted there. See I don't think anyone acutally beleives me when I say that, if I don't have something to talk about on these boards I'll be left with nothing but work to do. So whats next...the cancel of AC2, SB, Horizons...all of those?
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:03 pm