RPGDot Feature: Sudeki Review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

RPGDot Feature: Sudeki Review

Kristophe has grabbed his wireless XBox controller to spend some quality time with Climax' XBox RPG 'Sudeki'. Did he like it? Find out right <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1103">here</a>...<blockquote><em>Sudeki opens up to the never ending battle between light and darkness, where the evil Aklorians have ravaged the Illumina countryside of Haskilia, and the embittered Queen Lusica has turned all of her power and attention to defending her kingdom – no matter what the cost. Paramount to her defense is a mystical machine that can nullify the Aklorian’s power and shield the inhabitants of Haskilia – unfortunately, time is running out, and the machine is far from being completed...</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:09 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmmm

Okay, I understand if you think it's a good game but 9 8 % ? ?? ? !!! ???? ??!?!?!??!??? I know all review sites can be wrong about games sometimes, and that this game in particular has a very good battle system which makes it lots of fun but 9 8 % it'd make it like the best RPG ever... it's not. PLEASE consider lowering this rating. ( Unless it's compared only to other RPGS on the xbox in which case it could be acceptable )
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:12 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

*chuckles* I was doing exactly that - comparing Sudeki to the other XBox only RPG's out there - when I rated it...it would most definitely be unfair to say Sudeki rated a 98% out of all the RPG's ever produced, and besides - I still maintain console RPG's have a long way to go before they can even begin to compete on an even level with the PC RPG's
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:22 pm
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

EBGames Has it Cheap!

I have just placed an order for Sudeki based on this review from EBGames. It was only $14.99!! Wow! That's a good deal for a console RPG!!

All I gotta say is... IT BETTER NOT SUCK!
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:18 am
Emoticon

quote:
Originally posted by Kristophe
*chuckles* I was doing exactly that - comparing Sudeki to the other XBox only RPG's out there - when I rated it...it would most definitely be unfair to say Sudeki rated a 98% out of all the RPG's ever produced, and besides - I still maintain console RPG's have a long way to go before they can even begin to compete on an even level with the PC RPG's
Uh, am I the only one who have a problem with reviewers doing this? Ofcourse you have to take the platform into account when reviewing a game, but you also have to focus on just exactly what it is the game offers, and this is quite a flawed game (regardless of whether it's better than anything else on the Xbox or not). 98% is way more than it deserves, IMO.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:49 pm

Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

I don't know where you found Sudeki to be "quite flawed" - I had absolutely no problem with any aspect of the game, and I'm running a factory Xbox with absolutely no "mods" (unless you consider a wireless "S" controller a mod:-)

Be that as it may - I respect your opinion, as I respect your feedback.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:23 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maybe we should send a message to other console developers: "You can stop making XBox RPGs. The perfect RPG has been found, thereīs nothing left to improve!"
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:04 pm
Garrett

whats the point in all this posts? it is a review by kristophe and it reflects HIS opinioin on the game, noone elses. so please accept it and compare it to others reviews - thank you
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:20 pm
GothicGothicness
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

:)

Well, I had a question in my post, but I really think we should be allowed to have opinions on reviews, it's just that quality reviews is one of the most important aspects of a gaming site, and giving too high ratings, could hurt the credibility of the site. However I believe in Kristophes' review he has covered most of the aspects and it's in fact a good review ( I especially like that he plays the game several times ), and I shouldn't have said he should consider lowering it. ( After all he gets the angry mails if people buy it and feel dissapointed )

Being a reviewer myself however it's easy to fall into a trap if you start giving out too high ratings, for example I gave a game I absolutly loved a 10/10 rating.... only to find a game I loved more... this lead to me having to give it 11/10, it's just something to consider. ( After that I learned to be careful with my tens ).
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:19 pm
Kristophe
Obi-Wan Kermobi
Obi-Wan Kermobi

Thank you Garrett - you do have a habit of being able to "hit the nail squarely on the head", don't you, my friend?

And indeed, Gorath - that's true - and probably why there's been so much secrecy about the next-Gen Xbox, seeing as how perfection's been achieved *chuckles*

I still value the feedback, Gothic Gothicness - to be quite honest, I'm still fairly new to writing game reviews - though hardly new to creative writing in general:-) But I can see what you are saying about rating high - and I have to confess you do have a point. Be that as it may, perhaps with time I may alter somewhat the way I rate my reviews, and then again, perhaps not - only time (and more experience) will tell.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
it is a review by kristophe and it reflects HIS opinioin on the game, noone elses.

The RPGDot staff knows that every reviewer chooses the score he sees fit - but our readers donīt know this! They identify the review score with the site, and they donīt see every review isolated.

Kristophe, I can tell you from personal experience that Rends 98% score (-> 97% in the new system) for Morrowind ( without the expansions, which everybody says are clearly better ) left me without a choice for the Gothic 2 and G2 add-on scores. I would have prefered to rate them in the high 80s but the MW review and at least 30 "Gothic NN vs. MW" threads convinced me that I had to get way above 90% or I would have had to explain again and again why according to RPGDot G2 is almost 10% worse than MW .

Maybe Sudeki is an excellent game. If you say so I donīt doubt it. But I also donīt envy the reviewer who comes after you.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Interesting. I always wondered why RPGDot's scores were so incredibly high. Personally I prefer the Eurogamer approach where a 8/10 game is a game well worth getting(Halo), and very few games achieve 9/10. For me RPGDot's biggest weakness is the ridiculously high review scores.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:38 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I agree 100%, Jay. Two years or so ago I started a discussion to finally get rid of our crappy review score system. Unfortunately I was the only one who saw a problem. We cater the hardcore market but we use a less detailed system than many mainstream publications. The opposite should be the case.

I like Eurogamerīs rating approach. They use the whole scale. 9 is brilliant, 8 very good, 7 a very honorable score and 6 is still on the better end of average.
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:53 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

As a generalisation and not referring to this particular review because I have never played or seen Sudeki, I too would be wary of inflated scores. I have one review that, in hindsight, I would score 5 points lower than I did. Anyway, 90% is an extraordinary game for me -- and higher would have to be flawless gaming perfection.
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:04 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
I agree 100%, Jay. Two years or so ago I started a discussion to finally get rid of our crappy review score system. Unfortunately I was the only one who saw a problem. We cater the hardcore market but we use a less detailed system than many mainstream publications. The opposite should be the case.

I like Eurogamerīs rating approach. They use the whole scale. 9 is brilliant, 8 very good, 7 a very honorable score and 6 is still on the better end of average.

Would have to agree that our review system is not perfect. The problem is that a technically very well-made game (with near perfect graphics, sound and controls) can easily score very high even if the game itself is not very enjoyable.

We (would) have to "artificially" lower our fun rating to almost irresponsibly low (and unproportional) levels to achieve the overall score we envision for a game if its quality is not solely defined by controls, graphics and sound (if we're looking at them as isloated categories).

We might have to re-evaluate our rating system... true...
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next