Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where are two handed weapons (swords) sold?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Where are two handed weapons (swords) sold?

I'm level 10, and I've trained in beginner two handed weapon skill, but I can't find any two handed weapons for sale in any of the three camps! Help?
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:09 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Twohanded weapons are relatively strong. You can only buy them in later chapters. Itīs possible to get pretty good equipment in the very beginning, of course without cheats or exploits. Iīm not quite sure if you want to know the details. The game gets a whole lot easier with a crossbow and a Custodianīs Blade.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:37 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow. So the game was designed to let me train in a skill, but not buy weapons for it? I've enjoyed Gothic quite a bit so far, but that's really bad design.

I've actually found the game pretty easy ever since I got armor and a sword that was worth a damn (shadow armor/battle sword). I just wanted a two handed sword because that's the type of warrior I always like to play.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Velnias
Wow. So the game was designed to let me train in a skill, but not buy weapons for it? I've enjoyed Gothic quite a bit so far, but that's really bad design.

Bullshit! Were is the bad design? You can buy average weapons (thatīs were twohanders start) in the middle of the game. If you want such a weapon earlier you have to find another way.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:19 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Bullshit! Were is the bad design? You can buy average weapons (thatīs were twohanders start) in the middle of the game. If you want such a weapon earlier you have to find another way.

A wee bit defensive there, aren't we? Still, you asked for my perspective ("Where is the bad design?"), so here it is:

First off, letting players train a skill that they can't use is bad design. Period. Seriously just sit back and think about it. I didn't say that the entire game sucked, just that this was a bad design decision. If you dispute this then you just aren't thinking, because a design that lets players unknowingly waste skill points is just plain bad.

Second, it's completely illogical from a role-playing standpoint for a particular type of weapon to only become available halfway through the game when other characters (NPCs) clearly have them early on. All they had to do was implement two handed swords (on merchants) that weren't too powerful for the chapter's intended level.

Regardless, I eventually found some two handed weapons off Orcs, even though they're worse than the one handed hammer I'm wielding. Still, having merchants mysteriously not carry two handed weapons for half the game is silly.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:51 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

1 What about training a skill that isn't needed? I didn't notice anything odd about that?! In fact, it was good that people didn't suddenly realise, after they had spent their skill points, that they needed the skill that they could have triained a while ago.

2 Now thats an easy answer. Obviously the Merchants recieved their supplies from the upper-class people, who indeed, my friend, have access to 2H weapons.

Hope that clears some things up ...
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:14 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Gorath is telling you in his cryptic way to "find" other options. A very nice rusty two hander can be obtained very very early in the game.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:08 am
[= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well, thats pretty stupid what you're talking about, it's actually practically BETTER if you can't BUY a two handed weapon, think about it, say you just bought the most powerful sword in the game, then it would spoil the game! And it would let you get a two handed sword even when you're just a normal guard or something. Also it makes it much more of a challenge if you have to actually go and GET a weapon for yourself. . Also, how much money would it cost?! It would be HEAPS of cash. Plus, you've got two-handed sword skill even before you got one?? I got a two handed sword before I got Level 2 One handed sword!
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:43 am
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Gorath is telling you in his cryptic way to "find" other options. A very nice rusty two hander can be obtained very very early in the game.

Yeah, I found some off Orcs by killing them (useless, though, since they were worse than my one handed weapon).

But where's this rusty two hander you can find early on?
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:49 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by [= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Well, thats pretty stupid what you're talking about, it's actually practically BETTER if you can't BUY a two handed weapon, think about it, say you just bought the most powerful sword in the game, then it would spoil the game!

...no, guy, I'm not talking about making the most powerful sword in the game available for purchase at a merchant.

Actually, how did you even arrive at that conclusion based on what I said? I reread my post, and nowhere did I even imply anything of the sort.

quote:
Originally posted by [= D3m0n C0mm4nd0 =]
Also, how much money would it cost?! It would be HEAPS of cash.

Hardly a problem. You can made absurd amounts of money by level 5 or 6, whenever it is that they allow you into Gomez's castle. In the storage room next to Gomez' personal room, all you need are a couple of lockpicks and you're on your way to becoming a very rich man.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:53 pm
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
You can buy average weapons (thatīs were twohanders start) in the middle of the game.

I just read that Gothic has 6 chapters. Is that true? I'm in Chapter 3. That would be halfway through the game, right? There are still no two handed weapons available for purchase on merchants.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:05 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, you'd have to be a MASTER picklock to succed in lockpicking even one chest in Gomez' little house with only a few lockpicks. Not to mention that you'd have to be at least lvl 3 in order to be a master. Then, you probably wouldn't even get into Chap 2 or even into Gomez' little house cos you aren't trained in fighting and suck, that would put you at lvl 5, then with all the other expirience you'd get from killing the MC Queen and such would put you at lvl 7-8. So by the time you enter Gomez' lil house w/o cheating, youd be at least lvl 7, TOPS.
Post Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:09 pm
Mike Rotch
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

To make such a "challenging" task simple kill the Gor guarding the swamp and get the custodian blade (71 damage). WoW isn't that hard. Or you can get the bonecrusher (54 damage) from Jackel by beating him up and also the heavy crossbow (90 damage). If you can't knock out the Gor by the swamp then get 1 or 2 swampsharks after him.

58 days till Gothic 2???? I can't wait that long!!!!!!!!!
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:12 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

get a bow and kill a templar
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:41 am
Velnias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyPaladin
Well, you'd have to be a MASTER picklock to succed in lockpicking even one chest in Gomez' little house with only a few lockpicks. Not to mention that you'd have to be at least lvl 3 in order to be a master. Then, you probably wouldn't even get into Chap 2 or even into Gomez' little house cos you aren't trained in fighting and suck, that would put you at lvl 5, then with all the other expirience you'd get from killing the MC Queen and such would put you at lvl 7-8. So by the time you enter Gomez' lil house w/o cheating, youd be at least lvl 7, TOPS.

You don't need to have lockpicking mastered. In fact, there's no need to master it at all. Lockpicks aren't that expensive. If you want to nitpick the meaning of "a few" then go ahead, but I don't be participating in arguing semantics.

Killing the MC Queen is only required to become a guard. You already have access to the castle before that as a Shadow (level 5 or 6, I forget which is required).

Lastly, combat in Gothic is obviously more dependant on your equipment by far, as opposed to character skills.
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next