FAQ
Members
Usergroups
For people having sound or other problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

For people having sound or other problems

Here is something from http://www.rpgplanet.com/arcanum/gamefaq.shtml. It was written for problems in Arcanum, but should apply to Morrowind as well:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: My game starts slowing down or stuttering and the hourglass spins constantly, making gameplay almost unbearable at times! What can I do?
A: Microsoft left the Debug Mode activated in Directx 8 and 8a for DirectSound. This consumes vast quantities of CPU cycles, and also increases the possibility for creating software/hardware conflicts.

Download the Microsoft DirectX Control Panel applet.

Extract to:

....\Windows\System

go into Control Panel, click on your (newly installed) DX applet

go to the DirectSound tab and slide the debug slider all the way to the left <<<<<<< to disable debug mode.

reboot your computer and restart the game.

Note: This works with DX 8.1 but very occasionally it may already be switched off in that version.

While this has been shown to help those experiencing mild to crippling stutter-chop problems while using DirectX 8, it has also helped clear up graphical anomalies and sound conflicts. Please be aware that some gamers claim Arcanum runs better under DirectX 7 than DirectX 8.

This has been tested and used by many players on a variety of systems with great success. Thanks to Jaydee Daidodji who posted it on the forums and to vesselle who continues to ceaselessly hound gamers to try it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The file can be downloaded at http://www.gamevoiceclub.com/Download/dxapplet.zip

Note: It didn't work for Windows XP, but I found a way around that. Just right-click on the extracted file and select "Open with Control Panel", or if accessing the file within the ZIP archive select "Open." I didn't have the problem with my DirectX 8.1 for Windows XP, but it may just have been because I got it with a new system. However, people who have upgraded from previous DirectX versions (e.g. DirectX 8, 8a) might still have the Debug thing enabled.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:18 am