Wow
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > World of Warcraft

Author Thread
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Wow

Well you have to hand it to Blizzard, lifting the NDA at the beginning of beta is a brave move by current standards in the MMORPG marketplace. Shows me that they have a beta that is as good or better than many long ago finished products.
Remember how Horizons lifted the NDA at the last second? Do you see now why Horizons lifted the NDA at the last second? heh heh.
I remember reading here and elsewhere how WOW was way way off in the future cause Blizzard just took there sweet time gettin things just so. Welp looks like there alot further along than most realized.
I have read many many of the previews including Dialogue's and I really really want to get into this beta. Sure theres some warts, but this is going to set a new standard. It has some to do with project cancellations recently. I do believe the shoddy unfinished bug filled crappy MMORPG release is gonna be behind us soon. Hurrah!
You can see that lifting the NDA early has the affect of lots and lots of free advertising as the previews are casading in. If you do it right they will come...........and stay for a long while.
All you other MMORPG wannabe's take note on how to do it better.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:35 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I should know better then to cheer before a game is released but I'm inclined to agree with you on this particular one.
No NDA in Beta is unheard of and shows that Blizzard is really really confident about WoW.
The Beta reports by several indepandant sites speak highly of it.
Add to that the great reputation Blizzard has and you'll get...well...a *VERY* good chance of a finished and stable product upon release.
Lord, would that be a welcome change in the world of mmorpg's

P.S. the only mmorpg's that where stable at release that I know of were AC1 and Daoc but were still lacking content.
Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:28 am
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Could someone enlighten me on what an NDA is?
Post Thu May 06, 2004 12:19 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Non-disclosure agreement
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:14 pm
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

What exactly is the purpose of an NDA it sounds like some formal legal agreement so im going to asume that its important.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:30 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A non-disclosure agreement is a legally binding contract between you and someone else where you promise not to reveal any infomation about what they show you or have you work on.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:41 pm
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Ahh cool that would deffinitly make sense when i fit it into the descusion thanks for the info. by the way val will you be playing world of warcraft and if so will you join my guild?
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I have no idea if I'll be playing WoW.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:46 pm
Kaniver
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nda

The NDA basically prohibits you from discussing the game with anyone. There is usually a message board where beta testers can discuss game mechanics, interface, character development, problems and issues, bugs ect. These beta boards are not open to the public. Therefore the information available on a beta are miniscule until the NDA is lifted and the communication from the beta community starts pouring out.
A recent example of a NDA that was not lifted until the last moment was Horizons. I was a beta tester for Horizons, and there were some real issues and problems that were openly discussed on the beta boards. The general concensus of the beta team was Horizons was not ready to go gold. There were too many unresolved issues that needed fixing. This was ignored and the product was rushed to market before it was ready in my opinion and the opinion of many others. I chose not to buy into the final version and at beta's conclusion I parted ways with Horizons and never looked back.
Now along comes WOW's beta. At the very BEGINNING they have no NDA. Information on the game is freeflowing and the amount available is astounding. The beta message boards are open to the public.
Can you see the differance between these two beta approaches?
What business model would you feel more comfortable in plopping down $50 or so to try out?
At the very least Blizzard has breathed some fresh clean air into the beta model. The free flowing information available is sweet to the senses. I tip my hat to Blizzard and sure wish I was in the darn beta.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:50 pm
Robar the II
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well that disision is ultimatly up to you but I would deffinitly encourage you to at least check it out for a month or two. Either way at least we still have you at Rpg Dot.
Post Thu May 06, 2004 7:51 pm